SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Don't make the same stupid mistake I did
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Don't make the same stupid mistake I did Login/Join 
Living my life my way
Picture of molachi
posted
This is what happens when you use a bubble mailing envelope to mail something FRAGILE

This message has been edited. Last edited by: molachi,

Posts: 1756 | Location: The Backyard of Nowhere | Registered: August 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Surely that'll buff right out?

Posts: 1169 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happiness is
Vectored Thrust
Picture of mojojojo
posted Hide Post
They probably didn’t do that. Most likely there was a crack already in it that the seller didn’t tell you about and either the heat/humidity change or just the jostling in the truck caused it to snap. Roll Eyes

Icarus flew too close to the sun, but at least he flew.

Posts: 6705 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
They are plenty incompetent...

but this isn't on them.. You don't put fragile items in a bubble wrap envelope...even a cardboard evelope would have been better

Posts: 7791 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Because bubble wrap and envelopes are going to save the world. Right?

I think the worst thing that I had come across was I ordered three lightbulbs online. Had the tabs on the end instead of the screw in type. Lo and behold, they sent the damn things in a padded envelope. What could have possibly went wrong?

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living my life my way
Picture of molachi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mojojojo:
They probably didn’t do that. Most likely there was a crack already in it that the seller didn’t tell you about and either the heat/humidity change or just the jostling in the truck caused it to snap. Roll Eyes

I was the one that mailed it so I know it wasn't cracked.

Also I did put a piece of cardboard in the envelope, but obviously that didn't help. Replacement will be in a priority box. It's for a friend of mine and he has said he will pay for it. Didn't matter to me if he paid or not as he has helped me many times over the years.

Posts: 1756 | Location: The Backyard of Nowhere | Registered: August 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
lolcdruser

You put a compact disc in an envelope without a jewel case and expected it to survive? Cardboard bends. That's on you.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living my life my way
Picture of molachi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
lolcdruser

You put a compact disc in an envelope without a jewel case and expected it to survive? Cardboard bends. That's on you.

You're right. I made a mistake. Will change title.

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:

Still butt hurt? Big Grin

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And to keep the thread going ---

Reminds me of the guy who mailed out a large envelope containing a photograph and wrote on the envelope: "Photograph, do not bend".

Someone at USPS wrote:" Yes, they do", and stuffed bent it into a small mail box.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:

Highly unlikely. Unlike wood, which can, and often does, change quite significantly due to heat and humidity changes, plastic isn't so much affected.

"Jostling" in the shipping process? More likely, having been in an envelope with all the rigidity of a wet noodle, it got bent beyond its breaking point.

As the OP concedes...

quote:
Originally posted by molachi:
You're right. I made a mistake. Will change title.

Where I used to work we mailed CDs all the time. (Software, software updates, data dumps, documentation, catalogs, product brochures, etc.) They went into a stiff cardboard CD sleeve or one of the thin jewel boxes, then into cardboard shipping envelopes. The combination of two rigid cardboard envelopes, or envelope + jewel box, seemed to do the trick.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Years ago before online storage and inexpensive flash drives, I used to ship data CD-Rs all of the time to clients. I always packed them in normal thickness jewel cases, wrapped in bubble wrap, and into a small USPS Priority mailer box. Never had one crack or break.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16612 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rawny
posted Hide Post
Netflix sends dvds in nothing but an envelope. Occasionally, I do get a cracked disc. Mad

Posts: 2640 | Location: San Hozay, KA | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tsmccull:

Hey,that's really clever! I'll have to remember that.

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1487 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My company received like that eons ago when the software updates were sent via CD... dial-up connections, remember them?

The CD was in a cardboard mailer which had been bent into a "U" shape to fit better in a PO box. "Fragile" in big red letters provided no physical protection.

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2064 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Used to receive cds for updates. The company put them in a cardboard sleeve. Then inserted them into a Fedex envelope.

Never received a broken one.

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
When you have a few minutes, take an old CD or DVD and try snapping it in half

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogB:
quote:
Originally posted by tsmccull:

Hey,that's really clever! I'll have to remember that.

Ha, Ha. Funny. Not! Roll Eyes

Posts: 1169 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living my life my way
Picture of molachi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
When you have a few minutes, take an old CD or DVD and try snapping it in half

I've done this on cd's/dvd's that were being thrown out. Found out much easier to use a razor blade on the data side.

posted Hide Post
Just curious, did you put a fragile sticker on the package? That probably would have saved it Wink

Posts: 1298 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post