SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    What is it with these 3 panel photos?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is it with these 3 panel photos? Login/Join 
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted
I refer to those published in photos, seen on TV, etc, etc

Those with the clear picture in the middle, with one dim version on each side.

??

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
That was discussed here some time ago. It is because the original photo was shot with a cell phone and the format is skinny, so the networks add the blurry sides to fill the TV screen. At least that is what I learned.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Yup. A form of windowboxing. Kind of the "inverse" of letterboxing. I suppose they feel blurred-out versions of the image are better than black windowboxing.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
Vertical Video Syndrome (VVS.) It's caused by people who shoot cell phone video with the phone held vertically, when basically all formats where you watch video (like your television or monitor) have the long axis horizontally. There is no way to expand the video to fill all the space with out distorting it horribly.

Now to the PSA portion of this rant, if you shoot cell phone video, turn your phone sideways. If you see someone shooting cell phone video vertically, for the love of God ask them to turn their phone on it's side.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
We took some photos for some tourists, with a nice background so naturally I turned the phone to "landscape" position. No, they insisted I take another in "portrait" position, couldn't see much of the surroundings. Selfies really are selfies.
But as to why people insist on holding phone upright to do videos--I'm flummoxed.

Posts: 18053 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
We took some photos for some tourists, with a nice background so naturally I turned the phone to "landscape" position. No, they insisted I take another in "portrait" position, couldn't see much of the surroundings. Selfies really are selfies.
But as to why people insist on holding phone upright to do videos--I'm flummoxed.

Had something similar happen to me also so I moved in close enough ONLY the faces were in the picture - and they were happy. Roll Eyes

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:

I believe it was either AirsoftGuy or 46and2 who dubbed it "crackhead letterboxing" several years back. Big Grin

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
For a second I thought you were talking about these

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Perception:
Vertical Video Syndrome (VVS.) It's caused by people who shoot cell phone video with the phone held vertically, when basically all formats where you watch video (like your television or monitor) have the long axis horizontally. There is no way to expand the video to fill all the space with out distorting it horribly.

Now to the PSA portion of this rant, if you shoot cell phone video, turn your phone sideways. If you see someone shooting cell phone video vertically, for the love of God ask them to turn their phone on it's side.

For the love of God, don’t have them turn the phone sideways after starting video vertically...unless you want an unwatchable video.

Posts: 2935 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
LOL, nice 4 panel meme up there, and thanks for the 3 panel explanation too.

Posts: 1920 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:

I believe it was either AirsoftGuy or 46and2 who dubbed it "crackhead letterboxing" several years back. Big Grin

Ha, wasn't me, but that's funny.

I did poke fun at mark123 or some forum guitarist for his vertical videos of him playing.

Who does that?

Smile

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post