SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    My (becoming) annual micturition contest with DirecTV
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My (becoming) annual micturition contest with DirecTV Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
The "customer loyalty" discount expired about the time AT&T acquired DirecTV. Bill went to $124.xx the first month and $135.xx this month.

Waited for a chat to open up (HATE dealing with phone menus and voice mail) and argued with Habeeb for a while, making no progress beyond a $5 discount if they could bill my credit card directly (NOT gonna happen...) and got to the point where I said "Well, obviously we're not getting anywhere, I guess I'll have to look at alternatives."

I got transferred to the Customer Loyalty department where I got pretty much the same song and dance until I played the "I'll look elsewhere" card and BINGO! $70 Customer Loyalty Discount if I agree to a 12 month commitment.

Done and done. Until next year...

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15180 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimg1960
posted Hide Post
Years ago when I had direct tv, before att I used to call them every year and gripe about everyone got free nfl except me. It was 3-4 hundred a year. I would get that special lady who gave me that much in discounts and freebies every year. I did it for at least 4 years...then I dropped them went to spectrum. Who by the way is not less evil...

Posts: 301 | Location: Tennessee  | Registered: July 08, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Yeah, there really ARE no viable alternatives. DirecTV and Dish are two sides of the same coin and Time-Warner Cable is the same deal via another delivery system.

They've ALL got you by the short and curlies, especially out here in Fly Over country where there ain't so such thing as OTA TV. 65 miles of ugly terrain to the nearest transmitter.

Were it not for my technology-averse wife and limited bandwidth DSL internet, I'd say "Effem All" and go straight streaming.

Posts: 15180 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
Glad t's not just me, I have a dish for Direct TV and Dish, the one that is active depends on who gives me the better price when contracts expire.

Would love to stream, but a slow DSL connection is all we have and the alternatives are cellular or satellite internet providers, which both suck for streaming as well.

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6474 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
I can't switch from DirecTv to Dish, as Dish no longer offers the Korean TV channels. Frown

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted Hide Post
AT&T is hurting. DTV customers are leaving. I just call and ask for retention department. I tell them that I've been a customer since 97 (true) but unless they can give me an incentive, I'm going to go elsewhere.

The bill is down to mid $80s and I have 5 receivers, 3 DVRs, whole home service. 4 receivers are HD.

I'll keep DTV as long as the monthly costs remain reasonable.

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1487 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogB:
AT&T is hurting. DTV customers are leaving. I just call and ask for retention department. I tell them that I've been a customer since 97 (true) but unless they can give me an incentive, I'm going to go elsewhere.

The bill is down to mid $80s and I have 5 receivers, 3 DVRs, whole home service. 4 receivers are HD.

I'll keep DTV as long as the monthly costs remain reasonable.

I'd have to check, but I think I first signed up in '99

I expect internet streaming is cutting into their business bigly. They (along with Dish) essentially had a monopoly for a lot of years. Damn shame their chickens are coming home to roost...

Picture of ChuckWall
posted Hide Post
When they are ready, they will fully embrace the stream. No techs, no installs, no equipment, it's just a winner for the providers. Open the connection and the money flows.

MAGA

Posts: 5689 | Registered: February 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was a DTV customer for years and played the same game but this year when bill ratcheted up they were not so willing to help me so I looked at Cox, who seems to be finally "getting it" as I was able to get upgrade my internet to 300mps and full TV/DVR with almost all channels with at a decent savings and no contract.

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChuckWall:
When they are ready, they will fully embrace the stream. No techs, no installs, no equipment, it's just a winner for the providers. Open the connection and the money flows.

There's still a huge part of the country where that's just not an option. Some of the guys in here have mentioned it.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I used to do the same thing with Direct every year until I cut the cord and got a Roku. Now I have better service for less than half the cost.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17244 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
I have the same issues with XM for my car. Hate the BS of wasting time, fighting for a better deal every April.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JSB3
posted Hide Post
Dropped Spectrum cable a month ago. Had to keep their internet though.
Even by paying $40 a month for Hulu Live I am still saving over $120 monthly.
Basic cable with 2 receivers and DVR service for 1 was around $160 a month with taxes and fees. Internet alone is $65

Blaming the crime on the gun, is like blaming a bad story on the pencil.

Posts: 1068 | Location: Saint Charles Missouri | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post