SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Overpricing at auto repair shop
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Overpricing at auto repair shop Login/Join 
posted
My 2004 chevy truck sputters & comes to a stop. Use my insurance's one free tow to take it to the nearest repair shop (after hours). Call the next day... "I'm 95% sure it's a fuel pump, how much to replace", and he replies, "we can take a look & get back to you." Calls back, yup, it's a fuel pump... will come to $1295 with tax. Seriously? Why so much I ask. " Errrr...hhmmm...2 guys to drop the tank 3 1/2 hours labor, the fuel pump is $560, and I only use genuine Delphi parts...blah, blah, blah. Nevermind, I'll have it picked up by the end of the day.

Neighbor uses his free AAA tow and meets me at the shop... "guy at the counter tells me that'll be $95." "For what?" I ask. "Diagnosis" "Really? I told you what is was"... "Ya, but, we had to hook it up to our computer..." AArrrggg.

When I walked in to the shop, two women were sitting at computers, one playing solitaire, the other not doing much either (couldn't see her computer screen). Now I'm getting the picture... I'm thinking wife & daughter, nice building, employees...lots of overhead.

So, a new Delphi fuel pump was $250 (2 day free shipping with Prime) from Amazon. Local Chevy dealer wanted $500 for the pump. The repair took me 5 hours with the help of a U-tube video. Oh and that Rat Batard at the repair shop emptied my fuel tank with about 10 gallons. Still mad about that.

Posts: 202 | Registered: March 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
I can certainly understand the shock. I'd have passed out getting a quote like that except a friend gave me a heads up that it would be over a grand for a fuel pump. Actually, with tax, the amount in your posting is pretty close to the going rate for that service in this area - based on prices 2 years ago.

Unfortunately, neither of us do our own mechanics and even if we did, the pumps went out during busy season (we're both CPAs) so work needed to be done at the shop.

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4887 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mindustrial:
My 2004 chevy truck sputters & comes to a stop. Use my insurance's one free tow to take it to the nearest repair shop (after hours). Call the next day... "I'm 95% sure it's a fuel pump, how much to replace", and he replies, "we can take a look & get back to you." Calls back, yup, it's a fuel pump... will come to $1295 with tax. Seriously? Why so much I ask. " Errrr...hhmmm...2 guys to drop the tank 3 1/2 hours labor, the fuel pump is $560, and I only use genuine Delphi parts...blah, blah, blah. Nevermind, I'll have it picked up by the end of the day.

Neighbor uses his free AAA tow and meets me at the shop... "guy at the counter tells me that'll be $95." "For what?" I ask. "Diagnosis" "Really? I told you what is was"... "Ya, but, we had to hook it up to our computer..." AArrrggg.

When I walked in to the shop, two women were sitting at computers, one playing solitaire, the other not doing much either (couldn't see her computer screen). Now I'm getting the picture... I'm thinking wife & daughter, nice building, employees...lots of overhead.

So, a new Delphi fuel pump was $250 (2 day free shipping with Prime) from Amazon. Local Chevy dealer wanted $500 for the pump. The repair took me 5 hours with the help of a U-tube video. Oh and that Rat Batard at the repair shop emptied my fuel tank with about 10 gallons. Still mad about that.

11 posts since 2007? Glad you got it fixed. It's taken me awhile to find an honest trustworthy knowledgeable independent shop. They stay very busy.

Posts: 11841 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, tough to find good honest repairmen.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A good honest shop is hard to find. My wife was suckered into the ~$50 air filter replacement recently at the dealership Mad

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mindustrial:

With all due respect, NO reputable auto repair shop is going to order a part off of Amazon or Ebay and put it in a customers vehicle. It could have been sitting on a shelf for 8 years, or a chinese knock off or who knows. Also, who is going to warranty it with free labor when it fails a week later.

So if the price is $500 for a factory fuel pump, $1000 seems about right for that job, they have a building, insurance, electricity, the cost of equipment, employees, etc. and what mechanic wants to play with gasoline?

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I could get in on this in depth, but there would be no point. Nothing I say is likely to make any difference.

Posts: 27956 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
I could get in on this in depth, but there would be no point. Nothing I say is likely to make any difference.
Don't be discouraged. I seldom, if ever, comment on your posts, but I do appreciate the insight that I gain from them.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30668 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you found the part for $250 and were willing to spend five hours of your time working on it then I would say that's a bonus for you.

That doesn't mean the shop was overcharging you. You are comparing apples to oranges.

Posts: 1168 | Registered: July 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
It seems we have these threads on a pretty regular basis.

Person A comes on and says professionals are ripping them off.

Professionals B,C,D,E & F come on and say, something to the effect of "You are paying for OEM equipment, 20 years of experience, systems, knowledge, facilities, etc etc etc"

Professional G comes on and says they especially enjoy having to fix Item 1 that Person Z screwed up trying to save money.

Hilarity and indignation ensue.

Did I miss anything?

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
It could also be the fuel filter needs replacement!

To change the fuel pump which I assume is in the tank like my 1990 C2500. You jack up the back of the truck, take off the wheels, craw underneath and remove bed bolts, disconnect the filler tube, and then life the bed off.

It is very easy to remove the pump from the top versus dropping the tank.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[quote]t seems we have these threads on a pretty regular basis.

Professionals B,C,D,E & F come on and say, something to the effect of "You are paying for OEM equipment, 20 years of experience, systems, knowledge, facilities, etc etc etc"

Professional G comes on and says they especially enjoy having to fix Item 1 that Person Z screwed up trying to save money.

That is pretty accurate, but often times I find the back story interesting and helpful in terms of building my knowledge base. There are often details from both sides that provide both cheap entertainment and useful information.

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Otto Pilot:

Did I miss anything?

That is a fair summary.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
Big Grin Big Grin You left out the part about the busted knuckles.

OP may want to change his fuel filter. I change mine every 50K miles.

It is also nice to have a mailman to help you lift the bed off and then come by the next day on time and help put it back on. Smile Thanks Kevin. No luck getting any help now since Kevin moved up and now the new mailman needs the time for prayer. Wink

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It seems like all repair shops suck, some just suck more than others! Sadly that has been my experience. I just did an entire brake job on my old truck myself to avoid the low quality work I have seen. Very sad, what the world has come to...

Posts: 137 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: February 23, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:

Did I miss anything?

That is a fair summary.

Shouldn't Godwins Law be invoked at some point?

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2363 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MattW:
A good honest shop is hard to find. My wife was suckered into the ~$50 air filter replacement recently at the dealership Mad

I agree that a good honest shop is hard to find. But I would gladly pay the $50 if my air filter did actually need replacing and they did actually replace it with a new one. I'm willing to pay a premium for honesty but not dishonesty. If $50 is their rate, I'll pay them for their honesty.

I get my wipers replaced at my dealership as part of maintenance. I pay probably double for the part but my adviser crosses off their labor which is several times the price of the part.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19662 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
The potholes here messed up my front end and I needed new "Tension Struts", something like that, and the dealer wanted $650 for the parts and install. I checked with a friend who has a brother in law who works at a dealer but does side jobs and he said he would do it for $100, and I would get the parts. So I went online and found better parts than the stock ones that the dealer wanted $200+ EACH for at Rock Auto for $105, shipped for the pair. $205 later, I was out the door and I had money for another gun left over!

Posts: 214 | Location: Ohio | Registered: January 01, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigJacket:
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:

Did I miss anything?
That is a fair summary.
Shouldn't Godwins Law be invoked at some point?
Adolf Schicklegruber says "Nein!"

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30668 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
quote:

Did I miss anything?

You missed that some of us don't do our own mechanical work and are not professional mechanics. Just trying to share our experiences.

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4887 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post