SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Cold calling car dealers
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cold calling car dealers Login/Join 
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
The last two vehicles I bought were through United Buying Service and was a real pleasure:

http://ubs4cars.com/

Several car dealers back home have gone out of business. Around here, there are a lot of new cars setting on the lots.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Not much sympathy for car dealers from me.
I worked in dealership fixed ops for all of my 47 years and two weeks in the business. It was amazing how many times they cried poverty, instituted new austerity measures, pay plan changes, hikes in insurance, suspension of 401k match then six months later buy a new boat, house, etc. (Thanks employees, without your sacrifices this would not have been possible)

Three sides to every story but that is how it seemed to be to me.

Anyway back to the matter at hand. Several years back I was disillusioned with GM's offerings, wanted small 4wd's for my wife and I. Went to the FCA dealer in our group to buy, hundred mile round trip. Went to a FCA dealer closer to home for service work.

After them refusing to request out of warranty repairs on door hinge corrosion (which our group store took care of 100%) I stopped going to that store. Two years later I started getting cold calls, up to this time "special sales events" were a monthly event, email and snail mail constantly, all this I trashed.

First cold call I requested to be removed from the call list. Was shuttled to a "manager" and when I told him that I was not interested in trading he said "Oh yes you are,you just don't know it yet!" (Oh really?) Well that really lit me up, I told him "official notice, do not call me again" and ended the conversation.

About three months later, same thing. This time I composed a "nice" letter to the general manager giving him my background in dealerships, my timeline in the two FCA vehicle purchases within eight months which we still own, my history in their service department and how my request for FCA out of warranty assistance was never passed on to the area factory rep.

Also the story of the previous request to remove my name and number from the call list which now appears to be in violation of the FTC Do Not Call List. And a comment that his manager's statement was offending to me, that I don't know what I want!

And ending the email with the statement "And why would I, a conquest customer (previous owner of another brand) who also happens to be an employee of a GM dealer who bought two FCA vehicles from another dealer (potential conquest from another FCA dealership) ever buy a vehicle from your dealership and feel that your staff would assist me if I had an issue not easily addressed?"

Been almost two years since the last call. Must have gotten the message.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8066 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hate everything about dealerships. It's not so much the slimy salesman as it is the concept as a whole.

Imagine if you wanted to buy a roll of toilet paper and you had to call different places, negotiate a price, haggle with financing, yada yada yada. What a pain! The entire system is terrible. I haven't bought a car from a dealership in 7 years and I don't plan on doing it ever again, although it's becoming difficult because most people just love getting butt raped on their trade-ins rather than trying to sell for market value. Case in point - my older neighbor traded in his 1 owner, mint Silverado before asking me if I wanted to buy it. I about fell over when he told me what the dealer gave him (around 5 grand less than I would have). He's a nice guy but I just couldn't believe how dumb someone could be to trade in a mint 4x4 low mileage pickup.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
I buy cars all the time. You only get taken from dealers if you allow yourself to get taken.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
I hate everything about dealerships. It's not so much the slimy salesman as it is the concept as a whole.

While there is no excuse for outright deception, the system kind of forces salespeople into at least skirting the edge of "slimy." The prospect of getting little or even no paycheck that week might tempt them into pushing the edge. But paying them a salary, or salary plus commission, is no help either. If they don't generate enough sales to justify that salary they will get the boot altogether.

Posts: 27836 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think car sales people are more honest and straight forward today than ever - they have to be with the availability of electronic information and social media.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
If you are buying a vehicle: Do your research. Be knowledgeable about your financing or cash price. Know what other dealers are selling the same cars for. Don't start negotiations. Ask ahead of the price negotiations about warranty costs, taxes, dealer title & paperwork costs. Remember you want them to be more emotionally involved in the deal than you.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8752 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
quote:
Remember you want them to be more emotionally involved in the deal than you.

POW!!!!^^Nail on the head

Posts: 5302 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post