SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Stupid Security Questions
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stupid Security Questions Login/Join 
posted
I guess millenials have taken over some computer security questions. The choices today were as follows:

1. What was the name of your first stuffed animal?

2. Who was your best friend in fourth grade?

3. what was the name of your high school mascot?

You then provide an answer which is recorded in your account. Some random time when you need desperately to access your account, you must come up with the name of your first stuffed animal.

WTF. Why not two factor authentication with a text code to your cell???

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just Hanging Around
posted Hide Post
Oh,oh, I pick number 3.

We were the North High Redskins. That ought to make em pucker.

Posts: 3220 | Location: NE Kansas | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Those questions are easy. My answers are:
  1. Fred

2. Fred

3. Fred

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That does not work for all sites. My choice word used to be GARBAGE. Good thinking though.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This week I was locked out because I was forced to answer questions that were obviously taken from a credit report. I got the date of purchase wrong for a car I bought for my daughter in December of 2005. I thought it was a 2005 model, but alas it was 2006. As a consequence I had to download forms which the company sent five days later and get them signed by a notary. I then get the privilege of filing insurance claims through them, if they clear the notarized forms. As usual, the insurance company gave no one notice. An hour on the phone produced the name of the new company.

Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I had one:

In what city did you meet your wife?

After multiple trial and error sessions, I determined that while the system would accept the two word city as my answer during the setup, it would never accept it again. I finally dropped the space the last time I set it up and haven't had a problem since.

Posts: 10823 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
You can answer the question any way you want. Just think of it as a separate password. Doesn't matter what the question is, you just have to record what the answer is.

Posts: 3657 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I feel ya. Mother's maiden name I can remember. My best friend in first grade? Dude, I had no friends. My first stuffed animal? Whoever made this shit up had a cushy life.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Buccaneers!

I even had a giant metal pirate head in my basement for a bit from a local fish eatery playground. Don’t ask.... Eek

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I've gotten those too. I choose ones that are a little less obscure and that I can remember for certain.

Posts: 27835 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I like our high school mascot, because we were the Spartans. Smile

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

• "Can't remember!"
  • "Can't remember!"
  • "Can't remember!"
  • "Can't remember!"

Posts: 2538 | Location: KY | Registered: October 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I had the pleasure of setting up some of those for a system many years ago. One of the questions I put in was.....

“What is your favorite flavor of wood?”

Smile

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bobtheelf:
You can answer the question any way you want. Just think of it as a separate password. Doesn't matter what the question is, you just have to record what the answer is.

Yep.

If you answer 'polkadot' to the question 'what was your first job' for example, or 'retrorocket' for 'what was your maternal grandmother's maiden name', the good news is your security goes up - you don't have to worry about someone google-ing your personal history to find out the actual answers - but the bad news is that if you forget, you're on your own. Helps to keep a separate, secure record if you do things that way.

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
BB&T asked me for one the other day. It was a previously agreed upon question having to do with the street I grew up on. I answered correctly and accessed the account. The next time I tried to log on, they claimed my password was incorrect. They were now using the street name as my password.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I spent two days trying to get my new iPhone to work with verizon.... whether it was via computer or trying to find an actual real person to talk to... finally got bounced through folks about 3 times and once again... they needed to know my pin number, I did not have a clue... but finally the nice lady said well take a guess and I gave here the last four digits of my SS#... and it worked...
The problem was the guy at Costco where I bought the phone or someone had put in the Sim Card number wrong....one digit off....

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
My High School mascot would DEFINITELY trigger every snowflake and Leftard on the planet...

Johnny Rebel

No kidding...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11054 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
You too?

My Diploma has full color, crossed rebel flags on it.

Posts: 7232 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
^ You two go to school in Evadale, TX? Big Grin

I remember their school having the Confederate flag in front of the school, as late as 2004 when I was a senior in HS.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
^ You two go to school in Evadale, TX? Big Grin

I remember their school having the Confederate flag in front of the school, as late as 2004 when I was a senior in HS.
No, North Richland Hills. We had crossed Rebel plags on the white football helmets, a slow,heartfelt rendition of Dixie that used to wet the eyes of a great many girls, and an award winning drill team called the Dixie Belles. They had a cabaret style rendition of Dixie that they exited the field with at every game. Short brim white cowboy hats, short white boots, short blue skirts, white long sleeve shirts with white gloves and a red fronted vest the back of which was wall to wall confederate battle flag. God damn it was beautiful.

I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all. -Ecclesiastes 9:11

Posts: 7232 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post