SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Drinking Glasses Etched/Ruined by Son
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Drinking Glasses Etched/Ruined by Son Login/Join 
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted
My son has ruined many of our every day drinking glasses by mixing his abrasive creatine powder in them. This sandy crap has literally etched clouds of tiny scratches on the glass. It looks like dried on milk.

I tried every solvent known to man. Soap, alcohol, rubbing alcohol, denatured alcohol, benzene, mineral spirits, turpentine, acetone, xylene, Bestine, etc. Nothing had any effect whatsoever.

I tried abrasives. Blue scrubbies, green scrubbies, steel wool, sand paper. The 500 grit sandpaper did show some improvement, but effort far exceeded minimal results. Plus the thought I was breathing glass dust was far from inspiring.

The wife likes these glasses but they have been out of production for at least a decade. I did find a few on Ebay. So I am buying a few used drinking glasses. Whatever the prior owners used them for, I hope it wasn't mixing creatine.

To prevent further glass abuse, I've put all of them in storage, and stocked the cabinet with disposable plastic cups. He'll be going away to college in a few months, and then we can have nice things again.

Teenagers are the most destructive force known to man.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17459 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wonder those vehicle headlight restore creams would work? But then you may not want to drink out of it.

You need to have your son invest in a shaker bottle.

Posts: 5406 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have 2 kids, one grown and gone and a 17 year old daughter...I have not had "glassware" in my home for a long time.

I buy the plastic sets at Costco and replace as needed and dont stress when they get destroyed.

That said, the wife started in with the essential oil BS and drinks some kind of oregano oil BS when she feels a cold coming on with the result being that most of my smaller cups smell like a salad bar

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
My son has ruined many of our every day drinking glasses by mixing his abrasive creatine powder in them. This sandy crap has literally etched clouds of tiny scratches on the glass. It looks like dried on milk.

I would be concerned about his use of creatine.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:

That doesn't sound right to me. I use creatine and it hasn't even affected the plastic bottles I use for my sports drinks.

quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:

Why?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Send him to WalMart - go to the aisle where those products are stacked. Tell him to look for a Blender Bottle, buy it, and only use his supplements in it.

Posts: 2768 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
What could be in that stuff that could do that to glass?

But put your foot down. Mix your creatine in this bottle and nothing else.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:

Why?

Health issues. I am wondering what other health supplements he may be using and the reasons for the need. It should not etch the glass. Taking the proper dosage is a concern as well.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use creatine nearly every day. If the shaker bottle is dirty I mix it in one of my glasses...it's never etched the glass, at all.

I'm using cheaper glassware, so maybe that's why?

----------
The first 100 people to make it out alive...get to live.

Posts: 1277 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Did you try an acid to remove the deposits? It's probably some sort of mineral deposit if you tried a bunch of organic solvents with no success, yet sand paper will mechanically remove it.

I would try distilled vinegar at full strength.

If it isn't a mineral deposit on the glass, but actual surface scratches, I would try using an automotive glass polish with a round buffing sponge on a power drill.

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Must be those special, rare "Ready For Hillary" glasses?

PS, been there done that teenager thing and it gets a lot better (usually). Kid now showing up with all kinds of repayment things. Gave the wife $5000 and extra thanks for all the stuff we've done last time he breezed through the state. I turned him down on a Yeti cooler, so he sent me a Yeti tumbler. Those are things he knows I'd use but never by for myself. Sent me a kick ass bow for Christmas and took me into Cabelas to get it fitted right. Hold out brother, it gets better.

Posts: 1918 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spectemur Agendo
Picture of brecaidra
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevmo:
I have 2 kids, one grown and gone and a 17 year old daughter...I have not had "glassware" in my home for a long time.

I buy the plastic sets at Costco and replace as needed and dont stress when they get destroyed.

That said, the wife started in with the essential oil BS and drinks some kind of oregano oil BS when she feels a cold coming on with the result being that most of my smaller cups smell like a salad bar

Oregano oil isn't necessarily BS, but it's definitely not good to drink it out of plastic.

SIGforum's triple minority

"It can't rain all the time." - Eric Draven

Posts: 16993 | Location: IA | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
Whether creatine is healthy or not or whether what he has been drinking is creatine or ground glass, I have no idea.

I could probably get him to stop cold turkey, if I told him he was required to drink it.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17459 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kent j
posted Hide Post
Try CLR, might work. Just a thought

Regards, Kent j

You can learn something from everyone you meet, If nothing else you can learn you don't want to be like them
It's only racist to those who want it to be.
It's a magazine, clips are for potato chips and hair

Posts: 294 | Location: Southern Indiana | Registered: December 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
I had a couple of glasses that seemed to be etched by some unknown process/substance. I filled them with white vinegar and left them for a couple of days. After a wash I can’t tell them from the other glasses.

Posts: 6288 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
It may be from the spoon.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5473 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Select the glass with the worst etch. Show it to him and tell him its his glass to use. Mix whatever he wants in it, but don't touch any other. He won't listen, but you can yell at him if he uses another one. It might make you feel better. Or not.

My wife supported our younger son for his 8 years of undergraduate school. No, she didn't believe in spoiling him. Much. One year he got us a Christmas present. It was a mattress. Of course she paid for it like everything else. Probably at a greatly reduced rate because his best friend was delivering them for the company that made them.

OK, we've probably been sleeping on a stolen mattress for those nearly 20 years. I don't have the nerve to even ask. But its been a great mattress all this time. Some things are better left untouched.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Is it cleaning them with a brillo pad, perhaps?

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
Toothpaste and a green pad?

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5952 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:

OK, we've probably been sleeping on a stolen mattress for those nearly 20 years. I don't have the nerve to even ask. But its been a great mattress all this time. Some things are better left untouched.

Smile Especially a 20 year old mattress Smile

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post