SIGforum
Drinking Glasses Etched/Ruined by Son

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/230601935/m/7600059834

March 13, 2018, 08:51 PM
JSB3
Drinking Glasses Etched/Ruined by Son
Did you mean etch, or scratch your glasses. I know some of the cheaper powders seem to be more coarse and not as soluble. They leave a sand like residue in the bottom of the glass if mixed with a spoon.

Blaming the crime on the gun, is like blaming a bad story on the pencil.
March 14, 2018, 08:18 PM
RAMIUS
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
I would be concerned about his use of creatine.

Why?

Health issues. I am wondering what other health supplements he may be using and the reasons for the need. It should not etch the glass. Taking the proper dosage is a concern as well.

I’ve been taking creative for 16 years. Last time I heard of people being concerned of creating was when it first came out. It’s safe and works. Just drink extra water.

Sorry about the glass.
March 15, 2018, 06:11 AM
egregore
If this stuff etches or scratches glass, what must it be doing to your innards?
March 15, 2018, 08:18 AM
striker1
quote:
Originally posted by jimb888:
Must be those special, rare "Ready For Hillary" glasses?

Why politics?

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

March 15, 2018, 08:34 AM
Georgeair
quote:
Originally posted by striker1:
quote:

Why politics?

My goodness it's tiresome.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

March 15, 2018, 10:48 AM
ensigmatic
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
If this stuff etches or scratches glass, what must it be doing to your innards?

It doesn't.

Creatine is not only safe, but they're discovering it may have health benefits even for people who aren't trying to build muscle bulk. Particularly older folk.

See 10 Health and Performance Benefits of Creatine

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher
March 15, 2018, 11:07 AM
Leemur
Creatine gives me the splatters. If it’s tearing up glass then it has to be a horrible product. Time to find a different brand.
March 18, 2018, 03:59 PM
Ronin101
quote:
Originally posted by SigSAC:
Send him to WalMart - go to the aisle where those products are stacked. Tell him to look for a Blender Bottle, buy it, and only use his supplements in it.

this
March 18, 2018, 08:55 PM
Fenris
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
quote:
quote:

Why politics?

Well, I don't mind. Every opportunity to ridicule, mock, and curse that vile skank is a good opportunity.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.
March 18, 2018, 10:53 PM
NK402
My glasses are etched and I don't have any creatine. Wife tells me it's the water and/or diswasher detergent. She says, if we wash them by hand, they don't etch. I tried Griot's glass polish which didn't help. I'm going to try the white vinegar.
March 18, 2018, 11:27 PM
airsoft guy
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
quote:
quote:

Why politics?

Well, I don't mind. Every opportunity to ridicule, mock, and curse that vile skank is a good opportunity.

It's how threads get locked around here.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.
March 19, 2018, 07:08 AM
Fenris
quote:
Originally posted by airsoft guy:
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:

It's how threads get locked around here.

Rarely, if ever for that reason. Thread originators sometimes complain and there will be a piling on. But seldom does Para get involved.

If anyone can relate my poor etched glassware to the shambling cadaver, I welcome the insights.

Trump is. She isn't. Fuck her.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

March 19, 2018, 08:52 AM
Brett B
You are placing the blame in the wrong place. I've also been using creatine for many many years and it does not etch glass. It's also one of safest and most heavily researched supplements out there.

My dishwasher detergent however leaves all sorts of white clouds on glasses that cannot be removed. These are normal water only drinking glasses that I have never used for creatine/supplements.

It has even stained the stainless steel door of the dishwasher itself. I tried to scrub it off but it's not removable. We normally use the liquid cascade stuff and are about to try something new but the damage is done.

Dishwasher detergent can have a pH of 12 or more. It's highly alkaline (opposite of acidic) and very corrosive. It has to be alkaline to dissolve and release fats/proteins from dishes. Combine that with the high heat from automatic drying of the dishwasher and you have increased the corrosive nature enough to etch glass.

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/
March 19, 2018, 09:25 AM
Black92LX
quote:
No, she didn't believe in spoiling him. Much. One year he got us a Christmas present. It was a mattress. Of course she paid for it like everything else. Probably at a greatly reduced rate because his best friend was delivering them for the company that made them.

Temperpedic???

I think their employees get a free mattress every few years. I know a couple folks that sell theirs every few years and chalk it up as their bonus.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!
March 19, 2018, 10:03 AM
ewills
Maybe try some Lemishine? I had cloudy deposits on my glasses, dishes and stainless tub of the dishwasher. Added some Lemishine to a couple of loads and everything cleared up nicely. I have crappy well water, so my issue is different, but maybe fixed the same way.
March 20, 2018, 05:25 PM
Fenris
quote:
Originally posted by old dino:
Being the "half-full" glass kinda guy ... how about buying a few cases of glasses, masking them off with different designs that you like and let your son use them to etch in the design ? Can then give them away as gifts.

Etching is inconsistent and looks sort of like partially washed, dried milk.

March 28, 2018, 09:29 PM
porterdog
Glass polish?

Is your government serving you?

March 28, 2018, 11:36 PM
Wasabibill
Years ago I was the Director of Marketing for a global manufacturer of consumer products. We determined we would begin selling our well known, premium brand, dish machine detergents to the restaurant market. We made good stuff and were well received.

One chain of restaurants tried our chemicals and complained they were etching the glassware in much the same way you describe. Our chemist paid them a visit and said, "We're cleaning off the haze that the chemicals you've been using have left on your dishes, give us another two weeks". It worked like a charm. The glasses became crystal clear.

I've noticed the same thing happening in our home. We've used Cascade for years and about two months ago my wife switched to Finish. Our glasses are beautiful! (Remember, I was in the business and notice these things).

I don't think your glasses are etched. Try Finish for a couple of weeks and see if it clears up the problem.

____

I'm filled with gratitude for the blessings I've received.
March 29, 2018, 12:08 AM
reflex/deflex 64
quote:
Originally posted by Wasabibill:
Years ago I was the Director of Marketing for a global manufacturer of consumer products. We determined we would begin selling our well known, premium brand, dish machine detergents to the restaurant market. We made good stuff and were well received.

One chain of restaurants tried our chemicals and complained they were etching the glassware in much the same way you describe. Our chemist paid them a visit and said, "We're cleaning off the haze that the chemicals you've been using have left on your dishes, give us another two weeks". It worked like a charm. The glasses became crystal clear.

I've noticed the same thing happening in our home. We've used Cascade for years and about two months ago my wife switched to Finish. Our glasses are beautiful! (Remember, I was in the business and notice these things).

I don't think your glasses are etched. Try Finish for a couple of weeks and see if it clears up the problem.

Interesting, we started using Finish several years ago. We had shitcanned our glasses and changed on the recommendation of the guy that sold us our machine. He said the soap we used etched glass, which I found a bit hard to believe. No problems since. I'd like to have a few back now, to try your theory.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------
March 29, 2018, 11:03 AM
Fenris
quote:
Originally posted by Wasabibill:

We are already using the Finish Rinse Aid.

Finish has several dishwasher cleaning products, is there a particular one that you would recommend?