SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    I Think I Might Need Glasses For The First Time In 46 Years!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I Think I Might Need Glasses For The First Time In 46 Years! Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
Ugh really? Confused

I just turned 46 in November and think I may finally need to get my eyes checked. I've never needed glasses and have had 20/20 or better vision all my life but lately have been doing a lot of squinting trying to read small print on packages and labels and such.

Whats ironic is my Dad has been blind as a bat all his life since about age 6, I literally can't remember him WITHOUT glasses on his face, but I managed to get my Mom's good eyesight passed on I guess. Until now.

So would that be reading glasses? I'm a complete noob when it comes to eye doctors and glasses!

I made it until 48. I had eyes that were a gift from God all my life.

I once read a vision chart all the way to the bottom when I was 25. The nurse asked, "Did you memorize this chart?" Yeah, lady. I broke in last night just to memorize this eye chart.

When I was 38, I asked my doc if I could've flown F-15s like I wanted to when I went to college, and he said, "Son, with your eyes, you could've flown two at the same time."

That ship has sailed. Or that F-15 has flown away. I now have glaucoma (under control) but I have to use readers at night. Try the lower power reading glasses (1.25) and buy them from the Dollar Tree for $1 a pair. Put them in your truck, dresser drawer, kitchen, pockets, office, range bag...everywhere.

You might consider optical vitamins, too. I'm a believer. "Eyes Alive" from Swanson Vitamins Online are the brand I take nightly. Oh, and DO see an ophthalmologist immediately. They say you can't feel glaucoma pressures. That's utter BS. That's how I knew I had it. Had I not felt it and waited a year, I would've lost my vision. Not cool. Get the readers, but get your pressures checked, too.

Welcome to life in the 40s. It happens to all of us. Time is linear and Father Time is undefeated. Roll Eyes

Posts: 1087 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
When I was 25, I could read microfilm without magnification. Now I can't read shit without magnification. Frown

How many optometrists does it take to change a lightbulb?

One or two... or one, or, two...

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
You probably just have Presbyopia which is normal as we age. Most likely you just need some reading glassses.

Having said that, GO TO THE OPTOMETRIST and get your eyes checked. DO THIS just to make sure there are no other issues. DO THIS !!!

Besides the benefit of a professional eye exam and walking out with a clear mind and understanding that you're fine, assuming no issues are found, the eye doc can tell you EXACTLY which power of readers to get, or even a Prescription set in case one eye is different than the other. I know people who just go grab some at the dollar store and they don't even get the right power.

You might even tell the eye doc that you're a shooter and get great advice going forward to help your vision in shooting. Seriously.

Don't screw around and procrastinate with your eyes. They are not replaceable.

Good luck to you.

I second the motion. I just got prescription readers this time last year, right before my 45th. It's that stage of life.

Posts: 132 | Location: PA | Registered: December 13, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jbourneidentity:
quote:
Ugh really? Confused

I just turned 46 in November and think I may finally need to get my eyes checked. I've never needed glasses and have had 20/20 or better vision all my life but lately have been doing a lot of squinting trying to read small print on packages and labels and such.

Whats ironic is my Dad has been blind as a bat all his life since about age 6, I literally can't remember him WITHOUT glasses on his face, but I managed to get my Mom's good eyesight passed on I guess. Until now.

So would that be reading glasses? I'm a complete noob when it comes to eye doctors and glasses!

I made it until 48. I had eyes that were a gift from God all my life.

I once read a vision chart all the way to the bottom when I was 25. The nurse asked, "Did you memorize this chart?" Yeah, lady. I broke in last night just to memorize this eye chart.

When I was 38, I asked my doc if I could've flown F-15s like I wanted to when I went to college, and he said, "Son, with your eyes, you could've flown two at the same time."

That ship has sailed. Or that F-15 has flown away. I now have glaucoma (under control) but I have to use readers at night. Try the lower power reading glasses (1.25) and buy them from the Dollar Tree for $1 a pair. Put them in your truck, dresser drawer, kitchen, pockets, office, range bag...everywhere.

You might consider optical vitamins, too. I'm a believer. "Eyes Alive" from Swanson Vitamins Online are the brand I take nightly. Oh, and DO see an ophthalmologist immediately. They say you can't feel glaucoma pressures. That's utter BS. That's how I knew I had it. Had I not felt it and waited a year, I would've lost my vision. Not cool. Get the readers, but get your pressures checked, too.

Welcome to life in the 40s. It happens to all of us. Time is linear and Father Time is undefeated. Roll Eyes

Really? Do tell.

Posts: 2927 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
I had a college professor tell me once that I'd wake up one morning, sometime between 45 and 50, and not be able to read without cheaters. I made it to 48. The old professor was right, as he was about most things.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
If you do need prescription glasses, you might find this interesting:

Several years ago, Consumer Reports did a test. They had a set of different prescriptions, and they took them to a bunch of the major chains, including Sears Optical, Walmart, LensCrafters, etc. -- a bunch of the big ones.

When the glasses were received, they lab-tested them for accuracy in filling the prescriptions. Every source had one or more errors in the lenses. Every one. Except Costco. The Costco lab filled every prescription correctly. 100%. Costco was price competitive, too.

Sorry I can't provide a link, this was quite a few years ago and I did not keep the reference.

I go to Costco for my glasses. They don't always have a frame that I want, but you can bring your own frame and they will use it. There's an $18.00 upcharge if you use a non-Costco frame, but there's no upcharge for re-using a Costco frame for new lenses if your prescription is updated.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
Several years ago I had the lens in one eye replaced due to cataract. Shortly thereafter had to have the other eye done for the same reason. A couple years later had to have cornea transplants done.

The only bad thing about it is that the lenses they used were "fixed" focus/power. The newer ones have variable focus, at least as I understand it.

I ended up with my left eye set for "distance" right eye for close up. I drive, use computer, etc, without glasses.

For those that dislike the idea of reading glasses, or wearing glasses in general, I can assure you that wearing glasses beats the hell out of going blind!

Not attacking anyone here, just trying to apply some experience and perspective.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ugh really? Confused

I just turned 46 in November and think I may finally need to get my eyes checked.

Oh cry me a river already... Big Grin. I've worn glasses for ~56 years. I can't remember NOT wearing glasses.

First thing I do every morning is put them on... last thing I do every night is take them off, for over 20,000 dad-gum days and counting.

They told me I'm not a candidate for Lasik, but if I was I'd be all over that.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4118 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
So...went and got the full monty exam, the dye in the eyes, the being dilated and everything being blurry for a while, you name it.

My long range vision is still excellent, 20/20

Eyes are in great shape, no issues seen.

I do have some age-related presbyopia (and was assured it's entirely normal and in fact hits people younger than me usually) which is a function of the eye muscles not being able to focus the eye as well at short ranges as it used to.

I was told by the doc I need reading glasses and it's "1.25" whatever that means. Picked out a nice set of frames to have a nice set made for work for now.

I look like a dork, BTW Frown

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
So...went and got the full monty exam, the dye in the eyes, the being dilated and everything being blurry for a while, you name it.

My long range vision is still excellent, 20/20

Eyes are in great shape, no issues seen.

I do have some age-related presbyopia (and was assured it's entirely normal and in fact hits people younger than me usually) which is a function of the eye muscles not being able to focus the eye as well at short ranges as it used to.

I was told by the doc I need reading glasses and it's "1.25" whatever that means. Picked out a nice set of frames to have a nice set made for work for now.

I look like a dork, BTW Frown

Welcome to the club!

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1947 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I made it to 47 before needing them. Just be glad you are +1.25 on both eyes. I have to get prescription readers because each eye is different.

Posts: 324 | Location: GA | Registered: August 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Scientific Beer Geek
posted Hide Post
You are not alone! This becomes quite normal as we get into our late forties. I have experienced the same thing. I went to the optometrist and had an exam. I was told my eyes were fine but we loose the ability to fine focus as we age. The eye doctor determined what power reading glasses I needed and that I do not need anything for distance or near correction. This could eventually happen as I age but this is why you should check with an eye doctor.

Best of luck,

Mike

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants to see us happy." - Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2078 | Location: Philadelphia Suburbs | Registered: August 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
silence is acceptance
Picture of birddog1
posted Hide Post
Well I’ve been wearing glasses since the 6th grade and I’m 53 so all I’ll say is suck it up buttercup. Big Grin

Posts: 2336 | Location: Massillon, OH | Registered: January 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am truly blessed--I am 72 and have never needed glasses far or near.

Weird!

"Dead Midgets Handled With No Questions Asked"

Posts: 686 | Registered: March 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
I look like a dork, BTW

I don't believe getting glasses will fix that for you.

Posts: 10824 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You don't need glasses, trust me... I'm 48.
You just need longer arms!

Go hit up your eye dr. They should give you a prescription.
1.25 1.5 1.75 2.0.

Home Depot has a 2 pack, with a neoprene case for about $8. Durable, and don't look half bad...

Get a few pair. Trust me on this! Toss a pair in your car, one in the kitchen, 1 in the living room. If you read, toss one next to the bed. At least a pair for work...

Then there's the cheap route-
Staples or Office Max (the office supply store) has a stand for reading glasses. There's the little thing you look into, and a knob on the side... Much like an eye dr's machine. It will let you know about the strength of the prescription you need.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8322 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post