SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    I Think I Might Need Glasses For The First Time In 46 Years!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I Think I Might Need Glasses For The First Time In 46 Years! Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
Ugh really? Confused

I just turned 46 in November and think I may finally need to get my eyes checked. I've never needed glasses and have had 20/20 or better vision all my life but lately have been doing a lot of squinting trying to read small print on packages and labels and such.

Whats ironic is my Dad has been blind as a bat all his life since about age 6, I literally can't remember him WITHOUT glasses on his face, but I managed to get my Mom's good eyesight passed on I guess. Until now.

So would that be reading glasses? I'm a complete noob when it comes to eye doctors and glasses!

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
Yeah, try a cheap pair from the store. My issue is my eyes are different. The left focuses at 6" while the right focuses at about 10" so I can't get a cheap pair for reading because they're always the same diffraction on both lenses.

Posts: 45334 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
crazy heart
Picture of mod29
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
Yeah, try a cheap pair from the store.

Yep. You're right on schedule! Pretty soon you'll have cheap reading glasses hanging from the front of your shirt and stashed all around the house like the rest of us! Razz

Posts: 1779 | Location: WA | Registered: January 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
You probably just have Presbyopia which is normal as we age. Most likely you just need some reading glassses.

Having said that, GO TO THE OPTOMETRIST and get your eyes checked. DO THIS just to make sure there are no other issues. DO THIS !!!

Besides the benefit of a professional eye exam and walking out with a clear mind and understanding that you're fine, assuming no issues are found, the eye doc can tell you EXACTLY which power of readers to get, or even a Prescription set in case one eye is different than the other. I know people who just go grab some at the dollar store and they don't even get the right power.

You might even tell the eye doc that you're a shooter and get great advice going forward to help your vision in shooting. Seriously.

Don't screw around and procrastinate with your eyes. They are not replaceable.

Good luck to you.

Posts: 11814 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
Have not read all the responses so . . .

My advice? Get a pair, or 3, of reading glasses. They have test charts at most places that sell them so you can try them out to see which ones work best. I use the 3X ones. But my vision problems stem from several transplants.

I do just fine for everything but reading. (which I do a lot)

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mod29:
quote:

Yep. You're right on schedule! Pretty soon you'll have cheap reading glasses hanging from the front of your shirt and stashed all around the house like the rest of us! Razz

And also a pair you forgot are perched on top of your head while you are looking for a pair to read with.

Posts: 3698 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I was about your age when I started having trouble seeing close-up. Razz

Wal-Mart has reading glasses that are about $10 for a 3-pack. I keep one each at work, at home and in my car. I used to laugh at Fred Sanford's glasses drawer. Now I have one. Red Face

Posts: 27839 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mod29:
quote:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Yep.
Aside from the full eye exam which you should have, cheaters in every room and vehicle is the norm.
Starts with..."Huh, I need more light to read this." Then full sunlight isn't enough!

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3771 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jeebus, go see an ophthalmologist. Make sure it's not something serious. Don't cheap out on dime store glasses-unless you're the kind of guy who does his own dental work with pliers and a bottle of whiskey.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Go see an eye doctor...there are too many things it could be for self diagnosing.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11247 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I haven’t seen anything since like 1981. I haven’t smelled anything since like 1998.

Get some glasses and suck it up. 46 years is a GREAT run.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7632 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I made it to 48.

If you haven't had an eye exam in awhile, go in and get yourself looked at. And, unless your doctor owns the local glasses shop, he's going to tell you the same thing that many here have advised - go buy some cheapos at Costco, and "welcome to the wonderful world of age-related presbyopia".

Posts: 19976 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Pretty much the only way to avoid needing readers in your late fourties is to die before then.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8202 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
I just turned 45 and am having the same problem...I have extreme distance vision....at my last eye exams I tested at 20/5 but with an astigmatism...the ophthalmologist said the only other time he had seen distance vision like mine was on a marine pilot out of quantico flying for HMX-1.... pretty much been that way my whole life...I would ask my wife driving down the road if the words on a sign were blurry and she couldn’t even see the sign

But, bingo, turn 45, and man am I farsighted....I end up doing the thing where you have to hold the label way out in order to read it....thank God I have long arms for some of them!

Getting ready for the doctor to tell me I need bifocals

Getting old sucks

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Pickle Rick!
Picture of Pickle Rick
posted Hide Post
I made it to 57 before caving in. I used the hell out of the Costco readers prior. In no way am I thrilled.

Posts: 2862 | Location: Lancaster, PA. | Registered: February 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Try some readers for now. They are cheap. If they do the job, then your problem is solved.

But it isn't a bad idea to get an eye exam anyway. They'll look at your retina and test for glaucoma which are valuable even if you don't anything more than some reading glasses.

Almost everyone ends up needing readers at some point after hitting 45 or 50. You are right on schedule. I wore glasses for distance correction since junior high, but when I got to 50, I had to get progressives as my close up vision began to deteriorate.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I'm going to get an eye exam, I may as well use the insurance I get for my wife who needs glasses, the plan covers both of us.

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
This one time, at Costco.......

If you are a member, they should have a qualified eye doctor, where you get the exam, tests and script all at one time, then step out, pick out some frames and lens,

Get your glasses where they fit them, check everything before ordering especially for progressive lens. Wal-Mart does glasses as well at a good price.

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I’m 35 and in the last year I can tell my eyes are changing.

Been 20/10 all my life. Suddenly I find myself squinting. Not a fan of this BS.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11446 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
I'm going to get an eye exam, I may as well use the insurance I get for my wife who needs glasses, the plan covers both of us.

Good plan! I was about your age when my close vision started to worsen. I got away with the cheap readers for several years until I started noticing issues seeing long distance. Then went and got real glasses for all situations. Bi's and Tri's.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3758 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post