SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    "Conceal and carry"
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Conceal and carry" Login/Join 
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted
Lately I've noticed what seems like an increase in the use of the phrase "conceal and carry" online. It seems odd to me. Maybe it's a regional thing?

To make matters worse, in most cases, it's not used in a grammatically correct fashion. I'm not exactly a Grammar Nazi, but that makes the phrase seem even more jarring to me.

Example 1:

"I plan to conceal and carry this P320."

This is grammatically correct. If you break it down into its two components, the sentence is still correct:
"I plan to conceal this P320."
"I plan to carry this P320."

However, the phrasing just feels a bit off to me. A better choices would appear to be something like:
"I plan to carry this P320 concealed."

Example 2:

"I want to buy a P320 for conceal and carry."

This is not grammatically correct. If you break it down into its two components, it doesn't make sense:

"I want to buy a P320 for conceal."
"I want to buy a P320 for carry".

A grammatically correct and more natural-sounding phrase would be something like:
"I want to buy a P320 for concealed carry."

Example 3:

"The P320 is a great conceal and carry firearm."

Also not grammatically correct. If you break it down into its two components, one of them doesn't make sense:

"The P320 is a great conceal firearm."
"The P320 is a great carry firearm."

A grammatically correct and more natural-sounding phrase would be something like:
"The P320 is a great concealed carry firearm."

Does this "conceal and carry" phrase strike anyone else as odd?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RogueJSK,

Posts: 32494 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
This too is a pet peeve of mine. It just sounds so awkward, nevermind being grammatically incorrect. It's just a big, clunky, phrase, like when referring to the gun one is carrying as a "conceal and carry". I just call it my gun. It is assumed that if I mention I have a gun, and you cannot see it, that I am carrying it, and it is concealed. My pistol is a pistol, it's not a conceal and carry. Further, the license I have in my wallet, is also not called a "conceal and carry", nor is it a permit, not in this state at least, says right there at the top, "license."

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17003 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
THANK YOU!

Let's not sound as semi-literate as the media would like to portray us all.

Until relatively recently, the universally applicable phrase certainly was "concealed carry". I have no idea what precipitated the rise "conceal and carry" as a thing, but it annoys the hell out of me.

Probably just some strange outgrowth of the dumbing down of society in general. I was somewhat alarmed when Benadryl stopped being an antihistamine and became instead a "histamine blocker".

Same kind of thing, I guess.

All I know for sure is that when someone uses the phrase "conceal and carry", I assume they're a Fudd unless they subsequently demonstrate otherwise.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16268 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
I've never heard that particular phrase until now, but you're right, it does come across as kind of strange.

Posts: 7262 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ravens1775
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Expert308:
I've never heard that particular phrase until now, but you're right, it does come across as kind of strange.

Same here. My first thought was it was someone that misheard "concealed carry", and repeated it as "conceal and carry". Sort of like what happens with "all intents and purposes" and "all intensive purposes".

Posts: 744 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 21, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It does seem off. However, around here I've heard "conceal carry" ALOT.

As in, "This is my conceal carry gun." or "I conceal carry as often as I can."

That being said, this area has a lot of regional "linguistic quirks" as I've started calling them. Things such as "good enough" being a standard way of saying "thank you", or leaving off what to me would normally be the middle of a sentence (which may explain the 'conceal carry' thing.)

An example of that is around here most people say "the lawn needs mowed" or "the plants need watered" instead of "the lawn needs to be mowed" and "the plants need to be watered".

----------
The first 100 people to make it out alive...get to live.

Posts: 1277 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGguy229
posted Hide Post
I think this started with the press who are retarded with the view and reporting public's use of carrying firearms. Some of these "smart" reporters think "conceal" and "carry" are two separate actions.

Ignorance.

Posts: 1721 | Location: South.....Carolina | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:

Never heard that phrase either.

That phrase sounds like the name of a Quick-E-Mart type establishment where you're encouraged to apply a five-finger-discount.

"Conceal & Carry, where you can shop & lift 24 hours, 7 days a week!"

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
All I know for sure is that when someone uses the phrase "conceal and carry", I assume they're a Fudd unless they subsequently demonstrate otherwise.

-Rob

Same here.

It sounds lame.

Posts: 2957 | Location: NM | Registered: July 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
At the very least, the order is wrong. You carry a gun and then conceal it (or not).

Posts: 1501 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ravens1775:
quote:

Same here. My first thought was it was someone that misheard "concealed carry", and repeated it as "conceal and carry". Sort of like what happens with "all intents and purposes" and "all intensive purposes".

For all intensive porpoises I think you are correct. Either a regional thing or morons. I have never heard or read it. Personally I prefer 'strapped' or 'packing heat'.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Sometimes I prefer to open and carry, especially out among the bears.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8214 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I think it's because people think it sounds much more tactical and shit.

You know, "conceal and carry" sounds a lot like "lock and load" before you unass the choppa, or "swish and flick" when you levitate your feather.

I prefer to "hide the roscoe" knowatimeen?

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12768 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
This thread is the first time I've heard that phrase.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
This thread is the first time I've heard that phrase.

Same here.

We're a bit behind the times down here in some parts of the South. That apparently trendy new phrase hasn't made the rounds in my neck-o-the woods.

If I happen to be behind the gun counter when I hear this, I'll be sure to deliver a quick and firm bitch slap to the offender who utters it.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
I've heard it for many years, usually from people who want to sound like they know a thing or two about guns and shooting, but don't. Sort of a baffle them with bullshit mechanism, like they're afraid they'll be shunned if they aren't an encyclopedia of knowledge on the subject. It's okay to be interesting in things, and it's okay to not know much about them, but don't front, it makes you look silly.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17003 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think you guys have too much time!

Stay safe, carrybyour gun, and make sure it is concealed!

Kevin

Posts: 697 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: July 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I carry my gat under my shirt.

Posts: 7016 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Conceal and carry."

Sounds like something Shep Smith started.

Posts: 3475 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
I prefer locked and loaded, myself. Big Grin

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post