SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Proliferation of pay streaming channels
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Proliferation of pay streaming channels Login/Join 
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted
The current proliferation is insane if they think folks are going to pay for so many streaming channels / services now. Netflix has lost content. Disney imploded their first day online. Even PBS has gotten into the mix now requiring a "passport" @ $60/yr to view much of their content.

I refuse them all staying with "free" streaming channels like Tubi, PlutoTV, Roku Channel, Crackle, Filmrise, Xumo, etc.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16192 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
I only pay for my Amazon Prime (the free freight pays for itself) and Hulu.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
We have Netflix and Amazon Prime which is free because I have prime for the free shipping and that pays for the annual fee. It would take more years than I have left to watch everything they offer.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
We have Netflix, Amazon Prime (see Jimbo54's comments) and PBS Passport. That last because there's crapton of stuff, mostly BBC, that my wife loves. And we pay $7/mo. for the OTA TV DVR service.

Btw: You don't necessarily need PBS Passport. Much, if not most, of its content is OTA, too. However, it came in damn handy, recently, when we decided to watch the Country Music series and wanted to start with the first instalment.

We will not be subscribing to Disney + or any other additional TV services.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Even with 3 or 4 paid streaming channels over Roku, I'm not paying anywhere close to what I was with DirectTV.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17269 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
The current proliferation is insane if they think folks are going to pay for so many streaming channels / services now. Netflix has lost content. Disney imploded their first day online. Even PBS has gotten into the mix now requiring a "passport" @ $60/yr to view much of their content.

I refuse them all staying with "free" streaming channels like Tubi, PlutoTV, Roku Channel, Crackle, Filmrise, Xumo, etc.

What do you mean "imploding"?
Seems like Disney kicked off strong albeit some tech issues due to the high demand.
Whether you use it or not, or like it or not I think it is a pretty strong business model.
YMMV

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I just discovered that the next season of "The ORville" is moving from Fox to Hulu. Well, I won't be paying for a service for one show. So many of these services only have a few shows people are actually interested in.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:
Yeah, I just discovered that the next season of "The ORville" is moving from Fox to Hulu.

That's a shame Frown. We'll miss that show. Oh well, it's not as if Fox hasn't screwed their audiences before.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
So many of these services only have a few shows people are actually interested in.

Perfectly reflects my position. Thanks!

quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:

Major tech issues with their rollout. Termed "imploded" on some sites reporting on the event.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16192 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In Odin we trust
Picture of akcopnfbks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
quote:
So many of these services only have a few shows people are actually interested in.

Perfectly reflects my position. Thanks!

quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:

Major tech issues with their rollout. Termed "imploded" on some sites reporting on the event.

FWIW we didn't have any issues with it. Watched a couple of things....the live action Lady & the Tramp & a Nat Geo offering.

Posts: 1728 | Location: The Northernmost Broadcast Point of Radio Free America | Registered: February 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Amazon Prime and NetFlix for me. My landlord bought the cable franchise for the entire complex and now basic cable and WiFi is free. I pay only for HBO and Showtime. My total bill is about fifty bucks. One third what those thieving bastards at Spectrum were charging me.
I wont pay for anything else.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16067 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Market forces will kill off the weak ones, or drive prices very low.

Posts: 17139 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
This falls under the “be careful what you wish for” category.

For the longest time, people frustrated with cable TV were asking to be able to choose their own channels.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12320 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:

For the longest time, people frustrated with cable TV were asking to be able to choose their own channels.
But the magic of pay streaming channels is the easy CANCEL button after a month of service.

Not the 2 year required contract and 5 hours on the phone to cancel with Cable, AT&T, DirecTV, etc.

We wait until there is a complete series or two to watch, subscribe to a channel, watch it in a month, then cancel it.

quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
Same. We'll add HBO / Showtime / others as needed to watch specific series, then dump them.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:

Just FYI and in case you didn't know, Hulu is part of a majority owned subsidiary of Disney, Walt Disney Direct-to-Consumer & International.

I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all. -Ecclesiastes 9:11

Posts: 7250 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
{Satire Alert} Big Grin

quote:

More Households Saving Money By Replacing Cable TV With 47 Different Streaming Services

The Babylon Bee
November 13th, 2019

U.S.—A new report indicates more and more households in the US are replacing expensive cable television with up to 47 different streaming services.

"No longer do people have to pay upwards of $150 per month for a collection of channels," wrote one tech expert in Polygon. "Now you can subscribe to a bunch of different channels separately for like $300 a month. It's much more efficient."

Historians believe Americans used to have to rely on a wide variety of cable channels to play what they wanted, but now, they can subscribe to a wide variety of separate streaming services to watch what they want.

"You used to have to have like 300 channels just to be sure you could watch a particular Disney movie," wrote the expert. "Now, you just subscribe to Disney+ for the Disney movies, and like 299 other channels for all the other shows and movies. Isn't the streaming revolution so much better and more frugal than the way we used to do things?"

"We were looking for ways to cut costs, so we immediately got rid of the $200 cable bill," said one man in Montana. "Why would I pay that much money for all these channels when I can spend roughly the same amount of money on a bunch of different streaming services?"

At publishing time, Disney had announced a separate streaming service for every single one of its shows and movies.

Link

Posts: 33769 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:

Exactly!! Most people (I think) wanted to get channels a la cart from the cable company, but when they didn't provide that option, someone else (Netflix, etc.) jumped in to fill the void. I wonder if the cable companies wish they could go back in time. While streaming has been around for a while, I think we're still in its infancy (relatively speaking). Who knows where we will be in 5 - 10 - 20 years. Depends a lot on internet availability and speed, and probably how fast 5G service is rolled out.

Posts: 260 | Registered: March 08, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
I have Prime & Philo.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
But the magic of pay streaming channels is the easy CANCEL button after a month of service.

Not the 2 year required contract and 5 hours on the phone to cancel with Cable, AT&T, DirecTV, etc.

We wait until there is a complete series or two to watch, subscribe to a channel, watch it in a month, then cancel it.

This won't last though my friend. This is what everyone will do and the companies will retaliate demanding a 1 year contract at a discounted rate. Trust me, it's not going to last and they'll get their money. It's going to be fun to watch the "I pulled the cord!!!" crowd bitch when all the companies take their ball run home forcing you to buy 10 streaming services. Wait until Universal, Fox, etc, all the movie studios do the same thing. It's coming.

I pay $75-80 a month for Dish, 3 4k boxes and a 4k DVR. Have all the movie channels. I do netflix blu ray in the snail mail and I rent 4k discs from 3d blu ray rental. Streaming services suck to me because the PQ is compressed compared to a disc, and the audio is heavily compressed to discs, especially 4k discs. I'd rather pay to rent high quality discs. I don't pay for any streaming services. I get free Amazon through my prime membership for shipping but I don't use their video stuff. Can't stand the quality.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12621 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
This won't last though my friend. This is what everyone will do and the companies will retaliate demanding a 1 year contract at a discounted rate. Trust me, it's not going to last and they'll get their money.
At which point I'll stop watching unless it's a channel I want for a year.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post