SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck,
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
It's probably a scam.

I've had my '74 Suzuki GT550 on Craigslist for a while now. No serious bites until last Friday.

Feller claims to be from Japan, wants to buy my bike and import it. (Sniff...snifffffff...what's that smell?)

Told him fine, but he's responsible for having somebody show up in East Overshoe with the cash to pick it up, I ain't having anything to do with the shipping or dealing with financial instruments other than portraits of Dead Presidents.

He asked about a title, I told him Maine doesn't require titles on vehicles before 1995, Bill of Sale only. He says he's okay with that, but needs pictures of the VIN and engine number for customs. (Whew, who threw that dead skunk in my garage???)

So, I sent him pictures of the registration slip, VIN sticker on the bike and engine number. All with the last two digits blacked out. Physically blacked out, not edited out.

We'll see if he's still interested.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
I'd love to see his reply.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
If you expand the header on the email from him you'll be able to see the IP address where the email originated. Is it coming from Japan?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
If you expand the header on the email from him you'll be able to see the IP address where the email originated. Is it coming from Japan?

Don't know how to do that. Pointers?

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:

Don't know how to do that. Pointers?

Nemmind, figured it out. Replied via Craigslist so the only IP showing is Craigslist.

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Tell him you'll send the complete information via mail. As in an envelope with a stamp. You'll need his mailing address.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12305 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
I'm beginning to suspect this may be the real deal.

I got a reply about the pictures of the VIN with the numbers partially blocked. As expected, they stated that they needed the whole number, which is actually reasonable if they need it for customs.

What makes me a bit more confident is that they sent me links to their resale site and a sort of "linked in" page for their translator. Both of which could be faked easily enough I guess, but I don't get that feeling from it.

I sent back a request for references and their specific shipping plan. Having lived in Japan for a couple of years, I also asked a couple of questions. Correct answers would require local knowledge.

Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
Tell him he gets the complete VIN when you get the cash.

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6845 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
'74 Suzuki GT550

Is this the beast!

Nice looking bike, I had a 78 GS400 fun bike.

https://maine.craigslist.org/m...t550/6235045198.html

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
quote:
'74 Suzuki GT550

Is this the beast!

Ayuh, that's the critter.

Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
About seven years ago I had a 72 Triumph TR6 that I had to sell due to illness in the family and subsequent bills. So I placed a few ads and signs around. It was a pretty sweet car in original condition, no rust with less than 40k on the odometer.

One evening I got a call from a guy who said he was from Denmark and was interested in the Triumph. His plan was to ship it overseas.
He asked a lot of questions and I was wondering if it was a scam.

I told him up front that I wasn't responsible for the car meeting Denmark's road requirements and once the bill of sale and title were signed, (and I was paid) it was his car. He must have called me a dozen times with different detailed questions.

But it turned out to be legit. He was able to ship it over there with no problems.

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
quote:
'74 Suzuki GT550

Is this the beast!

Ayuh, that's the critter.

I had one of those, bone stock. Damn near killed me. last bike I ever rode.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3758 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shaql:

Forgive my ignorance but how would giving him the complete VIN put you at risk of anything?

Posts: 1168 | Registered: July 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Wanna Missile
Picture of tanksoldier
posted Hide Post
quote:
If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck,

...it might be a dock...

"I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight."
GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Posts: 21542 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: January 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Palm:
quote:

Forgive my ignorance but how would giving him the complete VIN put you at risk of anything?

My understanding is they can cause a lot of trouble by reporting the VIN as stolen.

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

My understanding is they can cause a lot of trouble by reporting the VIN as stolen.

Got it, thanks. I hope it works out for you and it is the real deal.

Posts: 1168 | Registered: July 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzyAfCY57Xg

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54501 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2538 | Location: KY | Registered: October 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

My question, too.

They might be able to create a question or two by reporting it as stolen, but not much. You'll have documentation of having it for the last 20 years. But no biggie, withhold it if it makes you feel better.

If he shows up with cash (or a wire transfer into your bank is just as good), sell him the bike. Not before.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post