SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Quoting the first post in a thread. Especially if you are the second post.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Quoting the first post in a thread. Especially if you are the second post. Login/Join 
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
QUOTE]Originally posted by cas:
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:
Rubes and dullards, all of you. I hate you all as much as when someone changes what you actually wrote.

While perhaps a bit harsh, I agree.[/QUOTE

Ha!

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
That and top posting

A: Because we read from top to bottom, left to right.
Q: Why should I start my reply below the quoted text?

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

A: The lost context.
Q: What makes top-posted replies harder to read than bottom-posted?

A: Yes.
Q: Should I trim down the quoted part of an email to which I'm replying?

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
quote:
Rubes and dullards, all of you. I hate you all as much as when someone changes what you actually wrote.

While perhaps a bit harsh, I agree.

Rofl I never saw anyone change a post. That’s cruel.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12436 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
+3
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
I get quoting a section of someone’s post to address a specific part of it. I get quoting a post in an ongoing active thread so people know which post you are responding to. But why quote an entire first post of a new thread. We don’t need to read the OP twice.
Agreed.

Wink

Let alone, three times...

I agree with this post.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16693 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I pitched a bitch about this years ago, and the respondents were savvy enough to keep quoting but do so in a manner than formed a pattern (kept getting wider and wider, then narrower and narrower, then wider and wider, rinse and repeat). In other words, y'all are slippin'.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23253 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
This actually irks me too. (Not the fun replies.)
I'm a low post member on another forum where, if the someone deletes their membership via "rage quit", all of their contributions are gone, except where a member has quoted them in the threads.
Otherwise, I hates the mass re-quotes.

Posts: 7355 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
thread. We don’t need to read the OP twice.[/QUOTE]Agreed.

Wink[/QUOTE]

Let alone, three times...[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

I agree with this post.[/QUOTE] Thanks I agree

Posts: 2714 | Registered: March 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
When you reply - you don't know how many posts may pop up in between your reply and the first post. It's happened to me. Thought I would be the first to answer and some other forumite was typing faster than me...

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
That and top posting

A: Because we read from top to bottom, left to right.
Q: Why should I start my reply below the quoted text?

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

A: The lost context.
Q: What makes top-posted replies harder to read than bottom-posted?

A: Yes.
Q: Should I trim down the quoted part of an email to which I'm replying?

This drives me nuts, I've now solved the issue, I simply skip over any top post replies. So it doesn't affect me anymore.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20821 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
@frayedends

Or why quote at all?

Posts: 11164 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skull Leader:
@frayedends

Or why quote at all?

Context.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SBrooks:
When you reply - you don't know how many posts may pop up in between your reply and the first post. It's happened to me. Thought I would be the first to answer and some other forumite was typing faster than me...

True but if replying to the original post no need to quote at all. Unless,as mentioned, you are just quoting part of the post for context.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12436 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
fine!
you try and drive , eat lunch and answer threads on the forum while looking at the electronic gps map screen,
see how you ! do !

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54637 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doubtful...
Picture of TomS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
I get quoting a section of someone’s post to address a specific part of it. I get quoting a post in an ongoing active thread so people know which post you are responding to. But why quote an entire first post of a new thread. We don’t need to read the OP twice.
Agreed.

Wink

Let alone, three times...

or more...

Best regards,

Tom

I have no comment at this time.

Posts: 3110 | Location: Coker Creek,TN | Registered: April 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hudr:
Seriously, I think most of the time it is done in case the OP is controversial and maybe the OP is edited later.

I agree.

Q

Posts: 26381 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
fine!
you try and drive , eat lunch and answer threads on the forum while looking at the electronic gps map screen,
see how you ! do !

^^^^^^^^^^^
Do not let your insurance carrier know about this. You forgot to mention watching for slow moving vehicles and farmers not paying attention.

Posts: 17235 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stuck on
himself
posted Hide Post
At least you didn’t complain about cat pictures.

Posts: 4177 | Registered: January 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
I like to cut and paste the longest articles I can find into a post Big Grin

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PD:
I like to cut and paste the longest articles I can find into a post Big Grin

I read the replies to figure out what the long article was about. I ain’t got time to read all that.

These go to eleven.