SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Quoting the first post in a thread. Especially if you are the second post.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Quoting the first post in a thread. Especially if you are the second post. Login/Join 
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted
I get quoting a section of someone’s post to address a specific part of it. I get quoting a post in an ongoing active thread so people know which post you are responding to. But why quote an entire first post of a new thread. We don’t need to read the OP twice.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12420 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:
I get quoting a section of someone’s post to address a specific part of it. I get quoting a post in an ongoing active thread so people know which post you are responding to. But why quote an entire first post of a new thread. We don’t need to read the OP twice.
Agreed.

Wink

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
Agreed.

Wink

Let alone, three times...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43859 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
It had to happen this way... Razz

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 2003 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
I should have known this would happen.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12420 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Agreed.

This.

Posts: 32485 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
I opened this thread knowing that at-least the first few post would quote the op. Quite the predictable bunch here. Roll Eyes

The op makes a good point. Doesn't matter if its in the first few post or pages into the thread. Quoting is over done especially the multiple quotes where one is too lazy to edit out the unrelated content needed for the response being given.

Posts: 18026 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
quote:

And yet....

Seriously, I think most of the time it is done in case the OP is controversial and maybe the OP is edited later.

Posts: 6297 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mustang-PaPa:

I opened this thread knowing that at-least the first few post would quote the op. Quite the predictable bunch here. Roll Eyes
I was able to restrain myself, knowing full well that several others would do the job for me.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30633 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
quote:

lol

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:

That’s Rad.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:

Frayedends, you can’t spend your whole life worrying about your mistakes. You fucked up. You trusted us. Hey, make the best of it. Maybe we can help.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
quote:

Frayedends, you can’t spend your whole life worrying about your mistakes. You fucked up. You trusted us. Hey, make the best of it. Maybe we can help.

What he said.

Posts: 3714 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
I agree with the op.
Ppl love to write a documentary proving their elite writing skills ..
Then it gets quoted over and over.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
But why quote an entire first post of a new thread. We don’t need to read the OP twice.

That and top posting (aka: "Jeopardy style posting"), where the new comments precede the content to which is being replied, once-upon-a-time would've gotten the offenders thoroughly flamed and they would've transgressed no more. Then one of my favourite companies of all time, Microsoft, came along and made their email application do something no email application that preceded theirs had done: It put the respondent's cursor above the text to which was being replied.

This was after the Internet became commercially accessible, but before the Web. A social network of sorts called "Usenet News" was still used. Microsoft created a Usenet News application. You guessed it: Defying the custom to that point: They also made their Usenet News application put the cursor in front of quoted text on follow-ups/replies.

Because it puts the answer before the question. Why is top-posting called "Jeopardy style" posting?

Since Microsoft's software took the Internet by storm, at least for end-user use, this quickly led to people getting lazy. Among other things: Leading people to simply full-quote everything, all the time. After all: Since their replies preceded that to which they were replying, why bother scrolling down to tidy things up?

ETA: Just noticed member haveme1or2 likes documentaries, so: Some Usenet News history trivia:

The behaviour described above so-annoyed some Usenet News traditionalists they'd put filters in their newsreader applications to automatically "ignore" posts made with Microsoft's application.

Others, with a more Evil mindset, found that Microsoft's application would choke, sometimes to the point of crashing, on certain malforumed News post content tags, so they configured their posting clients to always insert those tags into their posts.

Some Usenet News server admins would even put filters in their site's newsfeeds, automatically filtering-out posts that had header information identifying them as having been made with Microsoft's application.

Ah, good times, good times Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ensigmatic,

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
quote:

Excellent use of a line from Animal House

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23194 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
+3
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
quote:
quote:
Agreed.

Wink

Let alone, three times...

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23194 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stumbling through where
others have fallen
Picture of REdwin89
posted Hide Post
Just love when the quote includes the 6 or 7 big pics of the OP's new pistol and then just "nice" is added.

"I don't know a lot but I can zero beat the V's on an R390."

Posts: 2322 | Location: No longer new to Central NY | Registered: March 13, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
But why quote an entire first post of a new thread. We don’t need to read the OP twice.

That and top posting (aka: "Jeopardy style posting"), where the new comments precede the content to which is being replied, once-upon-a-time would've gotten the offenders thoroughly flamed and they would've transgressed no more. Then one of my favourite companies of all time, Microsoft, came along and made their email application do something no email application that preceded theirs had done: It put the respondent's cursor above the text to which was being replied.

This was after the Internet became commercially accessible, but before the Web. A social network of sorts called "Usenet News" was still used. Microsoft created a Usenet News application. You guessed it: Defying the custom to that point: They also made their Usenet News application put the cursor in front of quoted text on follow-ups/replies.

Because it puts the answer before the question. Why is top-posting called "Jeopardy style" posting?

Since Microsoft's software took the Internet by storm, at least for end-user use, this quickly led to people getting lazy. Among other things: Leading people to simply full-quote everything, all the time. After all: Since their replies preceded that to which they were replying, why bother scrolling down to tidy things up?

ETA: Just noticed member haveme1or2 likes documentaries, so: Some Usenet News history trivia:

The behaviour described above so-annoyed some Usenet News traditionalists they'd put filters in their newsreader applications to automatically "ignore" posts made with Microsoft's application.

Others, with a more Evil mindset, found that Microsoft's application would choke, sometimes to the point of crashing, on certain malforumed News post content tags, so they configured their posting clients to always insert those tags into their posts.

Some Usenet News server admins would even put filters in their site's newsfeeds, automatically filtering-out posts that had header information identifying them as having been made with Microsoft's application.

Ah, good times, good times Smile

What?

quote:
Originally posted by REdwin89:
Just love when the quote includes the 6 or 7 big pics of the OP's new pistol and then just "nice" is added.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Rubes and dullards, all of you. I hate you all as much as when someone changes what you actually wrote.

While perhaps a bit harsh, I agree.

Posts: 21092 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post