SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Claussen Pickle Shortage
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Claussen Pickle Shortage Login/Join 
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
How were they in a box? Did you order online and picked up already in a box?

I found the Grillos at Kroger that were recommended in this thread. Do not like, very salty and sour. 3 out of 10

Posts: 5302 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:

I found the Grillos at Kroger that were recommended in this thread. Do not like, very salty and sour. 3 out of 10

Thanks. I saw them at the market. Expensive too. Glad I didn't buy.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:

Vlasic pickles pretty much suck, but since I bought the jar I will consume them and carefully examine the jar inside the box next time I visit Sams Club.
I never saw Claussen in a box.

If you still have the box, can you send a photo to the email address in my profile?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry no box. I will be more careful next time. The side of the box read Claussen pickles and there were multiple jars in it. The label was facing the other way and I failed to notice it was a jar of Vlasic. I scanned it in the cart, and did not notice my error until I got to the car.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Just spent 10 minutes trying to send Kraft, the owners of Claussen, an email. Finally found a way... you would think there would be something on their website about the shortage.

Edit: Saturday morning and I go to Publix and low and behold they got Claussen!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Blume9mm,

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
We went to the local Costco, today.

They did have Claussen.

Unfortunately, they only had the Kosher Dills, but no Hearty Garlic Frown

We'll continue to keep an eye out...

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
I never saw Claussen in a box.

Me either... Jars only, as shown in Blume9mm's photo.

(Vlasic pickles also aren't refrigerated in the store, whereas Claussen are. That should have been another clue. Wink )

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ersatzknarf:

We went to the local Costco, today. They did have Claussen. Unfortunately, they only had the Kosher Dills, but no Hearty Garlic Frown
I have never seen the Garlic type in Costco. Nor in Walmart. The only place I have ever seen them is Publix.

I guess you Michigan folks are deprived, no Publix locations that far north.

HRK, who lives in a nearby town, informs me that the Publix near him does have them in stock now, so I'll check the location near me on Monday.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Vlasic pickles also aren't refrigerated in the store, whereas Claussen are. That should have been another clue. )

^^^^^^^
Yeah I will certainly pay attention next time.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
We are indeed deprived, in many ways, my friend.

We were watching a program on TV Japan about a Japanese woman's search for the best bagels with lox and cream cheese. At one point she found a shop with one so good she was in tears.

As my wife is extremely fond of smoked salmon, she of course became immediately very interested. Heck, it's what we had for supper this evening.

I'm more than happy to make this at home, but the problem is finding actual, proper bagels Frown

So, yes, one could conclude that we're a bit screwed here.

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Yes, indeed. I am convinced that many of our country's problems, maybe even world-wide problems, could be solved by the availability of decent bagels.

None found yet, in the area where I live, just north of the Orlando / Altamonte Springs city line.

I was born in Brooklyn, spent much of my life in the NYC / NJ area, where it was taken for granted that there would be at least one mom and pop bagel bakery in every neighborhood. Maybe two or three. Nothing like that to be found around here. No decent bagels. And forget about finding a bialy! I haven't had one for years.

I also miss the "apetizer" stores in Brooklyn, where you could find all kinds of smoked fish, not only lox. Although I think that the best smoked salmon I have had was Sottish, served in first class on a British Airways flight from London to Barcelona (company paid for business if available, else first, on all flights that were more than five hours from originating airport to final destination). The salmon went very well with the free-flowing Champagne.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
Concur about solving many problems with the availability of good bagels.

As a child, I seem to recall having had such.

I am also aware of appetizer shops, but have never been.

Doubtful i would be able to leave, should it be possible to stumble upon one.

As for Scottish smoked salmon, you were very fortunate, sir.

After finishing a stint as a working student at Bayer chemical in Leverkusen, my friend and I decided we would visit Scotland as we both have blood from there. Before taking the rental car all the way into the Highlands, we found a little place called the Crask Inn for lunch. It was actually on the map we bought before starting our adventure. Well, after daring each other to have the haggis, we both chickened out, so I fortunately chose the smoked salmon and it was out of this world!!!

Ahhhh.... Smile

Oh, by the way, was able to turn her onto marinated herring. As a small child, was so enamored of this delicacy that it caused the consternation of a chef at a buffet in one of the nicest hotels in downtown Detroit, many decades ago, until he saw me also take an apple and then clean my plate of the heaping helping my plate was burdened with Wink

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
marinated herring
Wine sauce or sour cream?

I inherited the taste for the sour cream variety, passed down from grandparents through my mother. We always sliced additional onion into the jar as soon as it was opened.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
bagels with lox and cream cheese
Back to the original topic of this thread, a Claussen garlic pickle should be on the plate with the bagel / lox.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
Sour cream, sir.

Honestly, is there any other way?

My wife LOVES onions, so when she saw that was in there as well, let's just say it was a hit!

We often add extra onions to things, so i just mentioned that to her now and she agreed. Thanks!

You certainly have inherited some excellent taste Smile

posted Hide Post
Here's an update...

Bought a jar of Claussen whole dill pickles.
They are definitely more firm and crunchier. While I love pickles, I don't care for cucumbers. I notice a slight cucumber taste with these pickles. Not to the extent I don't care for them or wouldn't get them again, but it is noticeable.

*Have only tried one so far, so maybe my opinion will change as I eat more of them?

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
And say my glory was
I had such friends.
Picture of Hunthelp
posted Hide Post
I understand your agony.
I have gone every day for the past four weeks to the local grocery. I have inquired as to delivery dates....
Alas, there is no braunswieger available.
I’m heart broken.

"I don't shoot well, but I shoot often." - Pres. T. Roosevelt

Posts: 1941 | Location: Chandler, AZ | Registered: June 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SPWAMike0317
posted Hide Post
This thread is impacting my diet.

First I was jonesing for some good pickles. There is a local company that does pretty well with small batch. Garlic and extra dill.

Now you whetted my appetite for herring in sour cream. Yikes. I will have to double my walking mileage to keep up.

Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

Posts: 715 | Location: North of Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:
Here's an update...

Bought a jar of Claussen whole dill pickles.
They are definitely more firm and crunchier. While I love pickles, I don't care for cucumbers. I notice a slight cucumber taste with these pickles. Not to the extent I don't care for them or wouldn't get them again, but it is noticeable.

*Have only tried one so far, so maybe my opinion will change as I eat more of them?

"slight cucumber taste"? amazing, I wonder how that is?

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
While we're on this topic, does anybody like pickled tomatoes?

I haven't had one for a long time. Need to find some.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים