SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Claussen Pickle Shortage
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Claussen Pickle Shortage Login/Join 
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SPWAMike0317:

Now you whetted my appetite for herring in sour cream.

I take full responsibility.

Smile

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:
Here's an update...

Bought a jar of Claussen whole dill pickles.
They are definitely more firm and crunchier. While I love pickles, I don't care for cucumbers. I notice a slight cucumber taste with these pickles. Not to the extent I don't care for them or wouldn't get them again, but it is noticeable.

*Have only tried one so far, so maybe my opinion will change as I eat more of them?

"slight cucumber taste"? amazing, I wonder how that is?

Yes, Blume9mm, please determine if this could really be true. I too am amazed.

Posts: 792 | Location: NW North Carolina | Registered: November 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, regular dill pickles don't have a strong cucumber taste.

These have a natural cucumber taste, as in a non dill pickled cucumber. Or a cucumber straight out of the garden.

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:

These have a natural cucumber taste, as in a non dill pickled cucumber. Or a cucumber straight out of the garden.
Here is a cucumber dish that my wife introduced me to, it is now a favorite of mine:

Fresh cucumbers, wash and slice, maybe 1/8" to 1/4" slices. Put the slices in a bowl, sprinkle with a generous amount of kosher salt, cover with Saran wrap or similar, stick the bowl in the refrigerator overnight.

Next day, rinse the cucumber slices to get rid of excess salt, drain in a colander. Put the slices back into the bowl, add some dill, and mix well with either plain unflavored yogurt or sour cream or a blend of the two. I prefer sour cream, wife prefers yogurt, either way is good. I like to blend in some slices of Vidalia onion, wife does not like raw onion, again, either way is good. Sprinkle with pepper, and the dish is ready to eat.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
I just had an excellent Claussen 1/2 pickle.
Not sure where the jar came from. Maybe they're finding their way back to the shelves...?

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5643 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
FWIW I'm finding the Deitz & Watson kosher dill spears to be nicely garlicky and very crisp. They don't make me pucker as much as Claussen's, which for this old man, is a plus. Big Grin Obviously YMMV.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Ever tried McClures?

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
About the "cucumber taste"... in rethinking about this I realized that dill pickles pretty much don't taste like cucumbers... growing up I did not like that taste.... same as water melon rind.... which I realize is why those are also pickled. Just like with many things now, I like raw sliced cucumbers...

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
So I’m just wondering how effective it might be to take a regular jar of Claussen pickles and add some minced garlic?

Let it marinate for awhile and taste test.

Posts: 11812 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^
I doubt it. Claussen is just crisper and better tasting.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
this is where I request that they make a low sodium version

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54501 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:

this is where I request that they make a low sodium version
The Kraft Heinz Company
Consumer Relations
801 Waukegan Road
Glenview, IL 60025

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Horror of horrors.

I was at the grocery store, and lo and behold... They were out of Claussen pickles!

It appears that the shortage has reached my area now.

These are truly Dark Times, my friends.

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Re: Claussen Pickle Shortage?
Options
‎07-01-2020 09:24 AM

Oh no!

Now I can't get pregnant. I'll not have pickles to go with my ice cream.

It's forced family planning, I tell ya! A conspiracy! LOL"

https://community.qvc.com/t5/R...hortage/td-p/6338026

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:

These are truly Dark Times, my friends.
There's a light at the end of the tunnel.

Might be a freight train's headlight.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
So I’m just wondering how effective it might be to take a regular jar of Claussen pickles and add some minced garlic?

Let it marinate for awhile and taste test.

They've done that:

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^ LOL, but that's unobtainium.

Posts: 11812 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Day 19

My quest continues, although I fear it may all be for naught.

I have traveled this corner of the land far and wide, in vain. The Claussen pickles cannot be found. Everywhere I turn, empty shelves lay bare, jeering in silent mockery.

On more than one occasion, my heart has leapt at a glimpse of red Claussen labels from across the deli section, only to have my hopes crushed when I discover it is only sauerkraut, with nary a pickle in sight.

The Claussens have begun visiting me in my dreams, their vinegary laughs taunting me.

Pickles. Pickles in the dark.

I'm not sure how much more I can take. I'm afraid that I may have to stray to another lesser brand. Forgive me...

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
There is a crop report out that pickle cucumber harvests are at an all time low due to a mildew problem destroying whole crops and farmers aren't growing any.

People contacting Clausen are getting the same canned reply about encouraging customers to continue searching their distributors for them in their area.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34084 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Success! The Pickle Gods have smiled upon me.

I grabbed the last two jars left at a local Walmart.

Now, rationing them is going to be the tricky part...