SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    If You Run Out Of Fingers Before You Run Out Of items, You Do Not Belong In The Ten Items Or Less Line.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If You Run Out Of Fingers Before You Run Out Of items, You Do Not Belong In The Ten Items Or Less Line. Login/Join 
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted
If the schools taught Reading, Writing, and 'Rithmetic instead of Gender Studies we might not have this problem.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post

Posts: 27928 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
None, if you drink it all while waiting in line behind the idiot with the full cart.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
^^^Haha!

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3963 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ulsterman:

When I'm behind people like that, I start putting crap in their cart. Gum, disposable razors, candy, ear buds, what ever I can reach.
Sometimes I help them by using my "outside voice," which can easily be heard in the next town, to help the illiterate (can't read the sign) math challenged individual count, as the cashier tries not to crack up while scanning the items. "Fourteen, fifteen, sixteen, . . . twenty-three. We have a winner!"

Inconsiderate woman tells me "You're not funny."

I reply, "the seven people behind me in line who have been inconvenienced by your selfishness think I am. You're out-voted, seven to one. Eight to one, if you count me."

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
I’ve been in the regular line with a few items over and the express line is empty. The cashier will call me over. Inevitably some person with under the required amount will immediately show up behind me and get all pissy about it. Now if it happens I just stay put to avoid that.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12423 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:

I’ve been in the regular line with a few items over and the express line is empty. The cashier will call me over. Inevitably some person with under the required amount will immediately show up behind me and get all pissy about it. Now if it happens I just stay out to avoid that.
There's a big difference between "a few items over" vs. a cart that is 3/4 full.

I have no problem if the ten-or-fewer lane is empty and somebody with twelve or fourteen items goes through it, but I do tend to get just a wee bit pissy if some rectal orifice with dozens of things uses that line. And then they add insult to injury by waiting until everything hs been scanned, bagged, and placed in the cart before pulling out the coupon wallet and the checkbook.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Well for the other side of the coin maybe the store management should do something about having an adequate number of cashiers on duty. Our local Meijer is guilty of understaffing on a regular basis.

The lanes are marked either twelve or twenty items, disregarded generally by most of the customers. Complaints to the store pre and during the pandemic all fall on deaf ears, the stock answer is that they are working on having adequate staffing levels at all times. But define adequate staffing, their definition of adequate is different than mine.

Very common to have one register open and staffed with three or four customers with full baskets in line. While on that subject, self check lanes, if all six on either end of the manned lanes are operational that is a exception to the rule. Usually at least one or two are out of service at any given time not to mention the times management shuts down the east side lanes intentionally.

Multiple complaints to corporate office gets the standard answer "We are looking into your concerns", been hearing that for many years. The song remains the same.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8099 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Publix, "where shopping is a pleasure," has an exceptional level of customer service. The registers are rarely, if ever, understaffed. It is unusual to see more than three, maybe four, customers in a checkout line. The store is prompt in opening additional registers if necessary. They do not have self-service checkout.

I'm not bitching about the store at all. I am bitching about the self-centered, inconsiderate, "me-first and fuck the rest of you" customer who bypasses the regular line that has three or four customers waiting, and goes to the express ten-or-fewer line, while pushing a loaded cart.

I have asked the cashiers why they check the customer out instead of redirecting her (it is rarely a male customer, the guys seem to be better at following the rules) to a regular line, and the answer I get is that the cashiers don't like it, but it's company policy not to argue with the customer about stuff like this. Rude customers seem to know about company policy, and take advantage of it. Bastages.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
As far as I'm concerned, self-checkouts are supposed to be express lines. I know they're not, but it still pisses me off when there's a line and it's not moving because of jackwads with buggy-fulls doing it themselves. And it takes extra long because there's not enough room in the bagging area to bag all their stuff.

With banks no longer taking coins, I admit to using the self-checkouts to get rid of accumulated coins but at least do it when it's slow and nobody around.

That reminds me, I don't see those Coin Shortage signs anymore.

Posts: 4009 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
If I use my finger joints and bones, I can count way past ten without running out of fingers.

Posts: 10913 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
As George Carlin once said, "seven packs of franks, it's one item"

Posts: 7250 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If I am destined for the fires of hell, I an certain that when I arrive there I will find its actually a grocery store.
Recent experiences:
1. - My deli bag of ham was partially consumed by the conveyor belt when the bag got caught between the counter and the belt. The belt continued to move while this was happening. This problem quickly escalated into a full on grocery emergency! Several management types came to observe the stuck bag. They then fled in terror, never to return. A bag boy also scrutinized the crisis but failed to extract the bag. Finally, a female cashier who I estimated to be about 18 years old, walked over and grabbed the bag and gave a mighty yank. The bag was free! Cashier chick then offered the bag to me, which now was only a sad remnant of itself before being trapped. I informed her "thanks, but since the conveyor belt put about 10 miles of wear on the ham, I DONT CARE TO EAT IT NOW"! She went and got a new bag for me. I offered her 5 bucks for meritorious service but she declined.
2. - The Yooper grocery store has 6 checkout lanes, 4 of which are marked "You Bag". At these prices they want me to bag my own groceries? Hah! Never! So I aim for the two full service lines. I arrive to find one of the full service lanes is closed. The other one is occupied by an elderly lady with an overflowing cart. I fall in line behind her and try to keep my Zen like calm as she slowly unloads the cart for checkout. Finally, the moment of truth is here as she begins to dig in her massive purse. What will it be? A search for exact change? A fist full of coupons, most which are expired or for products she has not purchased? No! We are time traveling back to the 1960s as she extracts a... Check book! After this complex and time consuming financial transaction, I am finally free to check out and GTFO. At least this time my ham made the journey down the conveyor belt to the bag boy without incident.
War is hell. So is the grocery store!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16070 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I seldom buy 10 or more of something.... Big Grin

Posts: 10052 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mikeyspizza:
As far as I'm concerned, self-checkouts are supposed to be express lines. I know they're not, but it still pisses me off when there's a line and it's not moving because of jackwads with buggy-fulls doing it themselves. And it takes extra long because there's not enough room in the bagging area to bag all their stuff.

The Meijer markets around here have two types of self service lanes. A good number of “12 items or less” and a lesser number of “Unlimited” lanes. When people adhere to that, it flows reasonably quickly.

Posts: 1178 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
My local Fry's has a couple of lanes that say "around 15 items."

Their way of getting around the problem, I suppose.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I only have three items today.

Does that leave me with a credit, so I can come through the ten-or-fewer line with seventeen, next time?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

posted Hide Post
Self check out and self bag. Do I get a discount for doing someone else's work?

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of K0ZZZ
posted Hide Post
That's why it bugs me when I'm in a normal line waiting, and the under 12 line is empty. They will usually say something like "I'll take you over here" but I'll decline so people who come up after don't get all fussy at me.

... Chad

http://shotworkspro.com - Much better than scrap paper! Use 'Take5' to get 5 bucks off.

Posts: 770 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Local Ralph's took down those signs because people couldn't count.

Another store upped the number to 45 items. I think that was a joke to poke at people who can't count.

Stater Bros. around the corner will turn you out of the line, regardless of your math skills.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post