SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    One of My Credit Cards Was Hacked
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

One of My Credit Cards Was Hacked Login/Join 
posted
CC must have been "skimmed" The only use of it for a few months before the fraudulent activities was to order study and test prep materials, as well as license test fees for my son.

Other CCs (gas card and another general CC) seem to be okay.

I have reported the fraudulent use and am awaiting further conversation with the CC provider.

Too bad some people are smart enough to hack CCs and other things, but too f*ng lazy to have an honest job.

Posts: 489 | Location: Middle Alabama | Registered: February 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I consider every credit card compromised. Just a matter of time before it’s used.

I keep all my money in saving accounts. Anything I buy I use a CC and pay it off, usually weekly. I usually keep some cash on hand for incidentals.

That way when a card gets used fraudulently, it’s not my money and I don’t have to worry. Just order a new card and keep rolling. I’ve got three auto drafts I have to correct, but that’s fine.

I check my accounts daily though.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11444 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
We seem to have at least one credit card hacked per year. Other than waiting for the replacement, like chongo said, it's never been an issue.

Posts: 3697 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by h2oys:
We seem to have at least one credit card hacked per year. Other than waiting for the replacement, like chongo said, it's never been an issue.

Usually they want to ship the replacement via ground delivery. And usually, if you ask nicely, they will ship it next day.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
We monitor all of our accounts daily via Quicken. Usually the CC company detects the fraud before I do. I use Apple Pay as much as possible because I feel it is safer. Unfortunately handing over my card at Joe’s Greasy Dinner is a risk I have to take. Yep about once a year I get a new card.
Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4214 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have had a the same card company hacked about three times in the last 6 months.

I have the same advice as the others -- check often and stay vigilant. The bastards recently used my name and address, and tried to lease a phone at the local best buy. I found out about it when I got a rejection letter from the leasing company. My credit is frozen so they were rejected -- the company wouldn't tell me whether they had ID, SS#, etc. My advice is to limit the cards you have, and freeze your credit. If this keeps up, going to all cash.

--k

Posts: 178 | Registered: January 27, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Don't forget to give the new card info to anyone you have setup for auto pay.

Posts: 10822 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Have you set up ‘alerts’ on all credit cards? One of the most helpful is a text any time the card number is used but the card isn’t present.

That will even alert if you use it for online shopping. Of course no worries in that instance.

Posts: 6130 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My card company (Capital One) allows me to have a second card for my account. Each card has its own number, but both have my name on them. When one gets compromised, I have that card replaced but can still use the second card. I also use Google Pay at NFC enabled terminals, which doesn't pass the numbers to either of the physical cards either (and keeps working when a card is compromised).

Many companies now offer "virtual card numbers" as well, so you can go create card numbers just for online buying, for specific projects, specific sites, etc. Those can be nuked when they're no longer useful and also protect your physical card numbers.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, this happens fairly often, to me a few times, in fact.
quote:
... and am awaiting further conversation with the CC provider.
What further conversation? They, or anyone else, aren't going to go after the hackers, if that's what you mean. They will credit your account within a few days, and pass the cost on.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kranky:
Have had a the same card company hacked about three times in the last 6 months.

Card company, as in the company's databases were breached, or your card? If it's the former, I'm surprised it's escaped my attention, what with all the security-oriented mailing lists, etc. to which I'm subscribed. If it's the latter, your card, I suspect you need to be looking closely at just how and where you've been using it.

I know this kind of thing is a regular occurrence, but we've had "only" one each of our Visa and MC stolen in the last several years, and it's not as if we don't use them.

I now use Apple Pay or, failing that, at least my Apple Card, whenever I can.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:

Yes, Apple pay has some unique security features. If you have an Apple Device, this is the way to go, however, the "Card Rewards" aren't that great, in particular if you use the physical card for non-apple products.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10860 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I feel your pain. Just got a text from Chase, someone tried to charge $90 at EGIFTER. They declined it but with the text I could have said "It was me." It wasn't, our cards are now invalid with replacements on the way UPS overnight.

This happens every couple years, we no longer let it bother us, and we're now smart enough to have a backup card. And we're home where it's easy to deal with.

Posts: 15898 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thieves got me last month. Both Visa CC got hacked. No charges on one (blocked), several attempted charges on other card, one went through for a $20 gift card in Pennsylvania.

Card division called me to ask if I was in Pennsylvania or Florida.

Uh no. I said.

New cards have now arrived.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by h2oys:

My bank, Wells Fargo, sends a new credit card by special delivery, so only a two day wait – not a problem for me.

But notifying all of my accounts of the new CC is an annoyance. I now keep a list of all that I have to notify.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8854 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Just make sure you have a credit freeze (free) with the credit reporting agencies and it will just be a minor annoyance.
That and don't use a debit card at all.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
At my last job, our corporate cards were issued by Divvy. It was fantastic. You could create as many virtual cards as you like. So for every recurring charge, I had a virtual card set up. There are some subscriptions that are near impossible to cancel, so you just delete the virtual card and viola, no more charges.
Just as well, if the virtual card is compromised, no big deal. Delete and reissue.
If the physical card is compromised, they will issue a new one, and all the virtual cards still remain in tact and working as they are linked to the account.

Now if Wells Fargo would offer this service for my debit card, I would be rather happy.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4023 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:

Yes, Apple pay has some unique security features. If you have an Apple Device, this is the way to go, ...

I've used it, exclusively, ever since I got it. Before that I used my AmEx card, also linked to Apple Pay, whenever I could. It, like my Apple Card, gives me instant notifications of use, whether using the card directly or via Apple Pay. They both also show me a transaction history on my phone.

My cards issued via our CU do neither of those things, so I rarely use either of them any more. I'm thinking of cancelling my non-debit CU CC.

The Apple Card has the advantages over the AmEx card of cash back, being able to pay the card balance by phone, the ability to instantly change my CC number from the phone, and no annual fee. The AmEx card has the advantage of essentially no credit limit. Handy in case you ever had to purchase, say, a car in an emergency Big Grin

quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
...however, the "Card Rewards" aren't that great, in particular if you use the physical card for non-apple products.

None of my other three cards offer any rewards at all. *shrug*

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:

I keep all my money in saving accounts. Anything I buy I use a CC and pay it off, usually weekly....

Chongo why would you pay your card off weekly? That doesn’t seem to make any sense.. We have our credit cards set up to be paid from our brokerage checking account the day before they’re due. That way we get a little extra interest on our savings which adds up to a few hundred dollars a year.

Also, I have yet to hear of anyone being on the hook for a fraudulent credit card charge.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6309 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post