SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Getting this kid to do his damn homework...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Getting this kid to do his damn homework... Login/Join 
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted
Son is 13. Very smart. Took the ACT this weekend. In advanced classes. This kid can take 20 minutes worth of homework and drag it out into 3 hours. Every freaking night it's a massive fight. Every damn night. Taking stuff away, not having dinner, yelling.

Just fucking do it and be done.

It's not ADD... I don't believe in it. Give him something he cares about and he can recite every last detail about it. Ask him about Pokemon or Star Trek and he can tell you anything from memory. It's not an ability to focus issue, it's just lack of focus on what he doesn't want to do. Doesn't matter if it's something easy he can do in minutes or advanced algebra he needs to work at.

Frustrating as hell.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
Boredom?

That was my biggest problem in school. I was waaay ahead in a number of subjects and the sheer monotonous busywork of a lot of the homework bored me to tears and so I frequently found more interesting stuff to do. I still managed good grades, but they could have been better.

The discipline to grind through boring busy work was a skill that only came later in life.

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Same thing with my kid. But I also thought the teachers gave out too much homework.
What drove me nuts was the kid would start out the school year with straight As. Then his grades would decline through the year until it reached the point that he barely passed.
He did this every friggin year!
He is thirty now and tells me he wants to go back to school. That should be interesting.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16088 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Common in the early teen years IME. Keep prodding / applying some pressure. 2 hours to do 20 min of work sometimes.

Just part of it, it should pass eventually.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He's facing a potentially boring work life if he doesn't get his shit together.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13399 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You are expending way too much effort in this endeavor and are damaging the father son relationship.

Oppositional and defiant is the current term for his behavior. My advice is to get someone else to work with him. You have clearly had it with him.

Yelling is a waste of time. Set the consequences for not doing his work and apply them.

He is old enough to face the consequences. You might schedule a conference with his teachers and see what they have to say.

Good luck.

Posts: 17235 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Been there. Done that.

Didn't like school. It was super boring. Realized that the class only progressed as fast as the slowest kid.

Was able to do homework in the next class and keep up while doing it. Almost never did homework at home.

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Otto Pilot:
Boredom?

That was my biggest problem in school. I was waaay ahead in a number of subjects and the sheer monotonous busywork of a lot of the homework bored me to tears and so I frequently found more interesting stuff to do. I still managed good grades, but they could have been better.

The discipline to grind through boring busy work was a skill that only came later in life.

This. Story of my school years. Bored to hell and back from the silly monotonous crap. Pointless, let me do something more advanced without having to “prove” myself for a whole damn year.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
True story. I walked into 5th grade and made a comment to myself (unfortunately my voice...*ahem*...carries), "I sure hope this year isn't boring."

The teacher apparently much more quietly responded, "Challenge accepted."

It was busy as hell, but not boring.

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
I found that looking at it all it was like seeing the big mountain. That made my anxiety go up.

If I just focused on one thing without thinking of the rest I was able to complete individual task.

Be empathic but firm. Say I love you allot. A hug goes a long way.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hate to say "pay the kid to do it", but there has to be some incentive somewhere. Every now and then, set the egg timer down in front of them, set it for 30 minutes, and say, "I've got five bucks that says you can't do that assignment before the timer goes off." If they get the five bucks, the jokes on them - you got what you wanted for less than the cost of lunch at McDoogles.

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2066 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
School bored me silly unless it was something that interested me or I could see value in.

About homework. You teach the topic in class and work to understanding. Homework is practice to mastery. My guess is he achieved mastery in class and homework ranks down with having him practicing his ABC’s.

Talk to his teacher. Check that he knows the subject. See if the teacher can bring up some advanced work. Otherwise, there’s online classes, and classes at a local community college. Rather then fighting homework give him a challenge.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stuck on
himself
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
You are expending way too much effort in this endeavor and are damaging the father son relationship.

Oppositional and defiant is the current term for his behavior. My advice is to get someone else to work with him. You have clearly had it with him.

Yelling is a waste of time. Set the consequences for not doing his work and apply them.

He is old enough to face the consequences. You might schedule a conference with his teachers and see what they have to say.

Good luck.

I had a throw down with my 14yo daughter over taking her meds just this morning. I swear if I told her to breathe she’d hold her breath until she passed out. Perfectly willing to initiate WW3 over the most trivial of things like she has to try and “win”.

Fortunately (I guess) she’s only like that at home so the experts say it’s not oppositional and defiance but that’s not exactly helpful for the home life. I guess that’s a long way to say I feel ya.

Posts: 4177 | Registered: January 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
My advice is not every 'fight' needs yelling - in fact, the less you yell, the more it means when you have to raise your voice.

Sometimes kids need the velvet hammer. Punishment with consequences that stick. My son was 14 when he went through it. Was a real pissant and decided that his straight-A self was going to goof off and not do homework. So he got bad midterm grades. Like one C, lotsa Ds, and an F.

He lost everything. Computer, phone, everything - if it wasn't a school book, a fiction book, a puzzle, or a boardgame, he didn't get it. For the rest of the semester.

Biggest thing is FOLLOWTHROUGH. You set a punishment and it sticks.

After the first 3-4 days he was very apologetic and back working hard. At the end of the semester his grades improved to A/B. He got his stuff back after 8 weeks at the end of the semester with the warning "this can happen again - imagine all next year without stuff".

Never had an issue since then, other than occasional corrections. He's 19 going on 20, in college with a full ride - so I think it worked out all right.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
Ah the joys of dealing with 13 year old children. My own son (also 13) does the same stuff.

I taught middle school for 10 years. I think 90% of the boys go through this. Maybe as high as 97%...

I thought I was ready for this. HA!

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kraquin
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the teens.
At least he IS doing it, right?
If so, relax, as an adult you have a much different perspective that he doesn't relate to. He's not a professional adult yet.

Posts: 391 | Registered: December 07, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
I stil got spanked at the age of 13.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3968 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve got two boys, 18 and 12. I’ve been through this many times and I still don’t have a good solution. They’re made to do the homework but I completely understand that it’s extremely boring and the last thing that a kid wants to do after being at school all day. My most despised types of homework are the “projects”. Ughh, just an absolute waste of a child and parents time.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3533 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I feel your pain. I had the exact same problem with my 13 year old son (he’s 24 now). My son actually came to his mother and I and asked to make a deal with us. We’d stop the yelling and nagging about getting the homework done. He would get it done on his timeline or accept the consequences for not having it done.
Also, if your kid’s homework is taking more than 30 minutes, regardless of how much he procrastinates, you should be talking to his classroom teachers. Spending more time than that is seriously counterproductive.

Posts: 668 | Location: NH | Registered: December 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not trying to start anything, but just because you don't believe in something doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Gravity, for instance.

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post