SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Power Outages -- A Real Pain
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Power Outages -- A Real Pain Login/Join 
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted
First world problem. Generator is working. But still, after decades of engineering, couldn't we just bury every single line? Maybe redesign switchgear so that it can handle 75 mph gusts? It's not like we don't know these things will happen, time and time again.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5041 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah I hear you. Since I live in a Coastal area subject to hurricanes, this subject comes up frequently. It is largely a matter of cost. How much do you want to pay for electricity? The main offender in 75 mph gusts is tree limbs falling on lines. People get upset when the line clearing crews become aggressive. The other issue is that everything can simply not go underground, and most consumers are reluctant to pay for redundancy in the power grid.

Just be happy that the Commonwealth has a better power grid than Puerto Rico.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In our subdivision/neighborhood all electric lines are and have always been underground. The power outage problem occurs because the service coming into the neighborhood is above ground.

Posts: 693 | Location: E. Central Missouri | Registered: January 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
17 years ago I bought a whole house generator and transfer switch

The install was a little challenging and the price seemed expensive at the time

But

We have frequent outages, and every time the power goes out I cuss the power company and feel good about the generator purchase.

RC

Posts: 1938 | Location: Indiana | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I lost my fridge, glass patio table, and ceiling fan.

Just enough to be painful to suck, not enough to make HO claim.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
If the wind blew your fridge away with your patio table.....I’d say you gots a problem and are handling it with the utmost calm.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
If the wind blew your fridge away with your patio table.....I’d say you gots a problem and are handling it with the utmost calm.

Us Virginians has 50+ mph winds all day. Tree limbs down, stop lights flopping in the wind or falling, downed lines. We are having whatever you call winter version of a tropical storm.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
Can't bury all the lines. At a cost of $1M per mile, it's too damned expensive, plus maintenance is a bitch when you have to dig it all up.

As for the winds, Mrs.BurtonRW is going on 16 hours at the hospital because her replacement(s) live on the other side of the bay and the Bay Bridge hasn't exactly been open for most of the day. Don't get me started on the management issues (bridge and hospital both) that have kept her there, but yeah. The wind has really sucked today. Fortunately damage at the farm seems like it's going to be limited to about 12 feet of old fence. Needed to replace that stretch anyway.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16263 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Where in AA county are you? I grew up there.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
I read something recently that said burying power lines would increase your monthly bill 10x.

Not worth it.

Posts: 5070 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who else?
Picture of Jager
posted Hide Post
AA county here, too.

Glad I left when I did.

Posts: 2568 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: October 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
Or you can do what I do, live on the hospital power grid. Three hospitals (including the major trauma center in the area) within a half mile of my house and my house is connected to their grid. Absolutely the last to blow and first to get up and running. Had a storm a few years ago where everyone lost power. Ours back up in two hours, the rest of the city, somewhere between a day and a week depending on where you were. Most major storms we never lose power even though others in the city not so lucky.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1947 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Loswsmith:
Or you can do what I do, live on the hospital power grid. Three hospitals (including the major trauma center in the area) within a half mile of my house and my house is connected to their grid. Absolutely the last to blow and first to get up and running. Had a storm a few years ago where everyone lost power. Ours back up in two hours, the rest of the city, somewhere between a day and a week depending on where you were. Most major storms we never lose power even though others in the city not so lucky.

Yeah and those sirens to lull you to sleep.LOL

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
Came home from the gym to a power failure this morning. Power was out for about 4 hours. House was getting a little chilly by the time it was restored.

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1856 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We used to be out of power for long stretches of time, until one of the executives of the power company moved into the neighborhood. That fixed that.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NK402:
...until one of the executives of the power company moved into the neighborhood. That fixed that.

This. I live in a neighborhood that is serviced by ATT for phone/DSL. We used to have outages all the time. Then a woman that was the VP of the region moved-in two houses down. I don't know what happened, but we have NOT had an outage since. Weird how that works.

Posts: 1892 | Location: KY | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
As stated, buried lines sound great until they have to be repaired. then you have the cost of every home hookup. Unlike a tap off the pole, what will that junction box cost?

During Sandy, the time and cost to restore the power was because all those buried lines and components were flooded with water, must brackish. It destroyed all of the equipment.

Certain runs should be buried that are susceptible to damage from storms.

The cost of the home hookup alone..

https://www.xcelenergy.com/sta...rsion-Info-Sheet.pdf

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rscalzo:
As stated, buried lines sound great until they have to be repaired. then you have the cost of every home hookup. Unlike a tap off the pole, what will that junction box cost?

During Sandy, the time and cost to restore the power was because all those buried lines and components were flooded with water, must brackish. It destroyed all of the equipment.

Certain runs should be buried that are susceptible to damage from storms.

The cost of the home hookup alone..

https://www.xcelenergy.com/sta...rsion-Info-Sheet.pdf

It is free here, or it was, not sure if they are still running the program or not. I'd go inspect electrical service, update or replace as needed. County comes by slaps inspection sticker on it.

Power company (Dominion Electric) comes out and buries the line for free. If it has to be bored under driveway they charge for it but it's a nominal fee way below market, likely below cost.

They are letting anyone who wants it do it for free because underground lines fail way less and in long term is supposed to cost less.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Man, those Virginian power workers must be busy as hell and getting in some MAJOR overtime!

On my way home from work last night, on 95 South just passing center city, there was a convoy of 7 Virginia Electrical Trucks, I'm guessing headed back home after helping out in this area.

As I passed them, I gave each one a honk and a thumbs up to show my thanks. Got a return honk back by each of them Smile

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post