SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Tire adventure big box stores.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tire adventure big box stores. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
I don’t understand buying tires without checking the alignment. That is my problem with Discount Tire.

That's the only issue I have with them as well. I wish they didn't make you go find another place to align the new tires...which may have been why the old ones wore badly in the first place.

NRA Life Member/GOA Life Member

Posts: 137 | Location: Gainesville, FL.  | Registered: July 06, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use Tire Rack and Tru-Line Frame and Wheel, my go-to local shop, which just so happens to be the top-rated shop on Tire Rack's approved installer list for the area. Both the Seattle and Bellevue shops are GTG, and yes they DO check for alignment, especially emphasized if the takeoff(s) show any unusual wear patterning.

In the past I've used Costco as well on a couple of our cars. They seemed competent enough. And yes they DO put the new tires on the rear if only one axle is having its tires replaced. But so do others as well. The reason for this is that--presuming that the old pair is still fairly fresh and with good tread--the rear 'draggers' get more benefit from the deeper tread of the new tires when it comes to providing balanced stability control than the fronts would, given that you have the steering to make necessary adjustments to compensate for any variances in maintaining stability at the front end. Until recently you generally don't have that with the rear tires; they're just basically along for the ride. However now that rear axle steering systems are becoming integrated in certain car models, I'm not sure that old rule will apply as much with those vehicles.

The last time I used Discount was about 30 years ago. Twice. The first time their price for doing the work allowed me to somewhat forgive their sloppiness. The second time was pure Charlie Foxtrot, an experience that I've so far yet to completely forget. It was an ordering nightmare that dragged on for over a week, compounded by problems with TWO rental cars that we had to get for my wife to drive to and from work, all because of a screwup with the local Discount shop. Haven't been back since.

I've also used Firestone (because they're part of Bridgestone, whose performance tires I've had good results with); very 'meh' work ethic with those guys. There used to be another local shop called Elliott Tire; I used them a few times for patch repairs and quick replacements (they were only a block away from my then workplace); did good work but they were ALWAYS fishing for "problems". However I surprisingly became good friends with the manager but then I took another job and have rarely spoken to him since. Then Pep Boys bought them and that was that.

-MG

Posts: 1987 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rawny
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
A polite letter to company HQ will very likely get great results for you.
Well I sure hope so, because I'll be writing one soon.

Went in this morning for an 8:30AM appointment to get new tires. One of them went flat on my driveway an hour later. I had to limp it back this afternoon to get it sorted out. The shop monkey didn't install the valve stem correctly and didn't check. Two extra hours taken out of my Saturday afternoon. Mad

Posts: 2660 | Location: San Hozay, KA | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rawny:
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
A polite letter to company HQ will very likely get great results for you.
Well I sure hope so, because I'll be writing one soon.

Went in this morning for an 8:30AM appointment to get new tires. One of them went flat on my driveway an hour later. I had to limp it back this afternoon to get it sorted out. The shop monkey didn't install the valve stem correctly and didn't check.
I never had a problem with their tires, but I did have a problem with their service. Once. I wrote a polite, very polite, letter to HQ, with just the facts.

Their regional VP came to visit me at my business, he apologized profusely,and went way overboard to make things right. I told him that what he was doing for me was absolutely not necessary, but he insisted. The ONLY reason that I would ever consider buying a tire any place else, would be if I were to need a tire right now, on a Sunday (their stores are closed on Sunday).

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30659 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post