SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Tire adventure big box stores.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tire adventure big box stores. Login/Join 
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Guess I’m the spoiler here, not too happy with Discount Tire based on my last two visits there.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8099 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
My latest big box tire adventure:

My wife picked up a screw in one or her tires, so I took it to Sam's Club. They determined it was not repairable and charged the $24 mount, balance, warranty fee to put the new one on. While they had it, they did a rotate and balance as well and I was on my way in 45 minutes.

The big box adventure before that:

On the way back from Michigan to Florida towing our boat, truck decided it needed an oil change. I stopped at a Wal-Mart off I-75 somewhere in the middle of Ohio and had them change the oil. While they had it, I had them rotate and balance the tires for free.

Local tire store adventure:

Bought tires at a local independent tire store in Rogers City, Michigan. Picked up a nail in Port Charlotte, Florida. Warranty said I had to take it to the place I bought the tires from to get it replaced. Lesson learned: buy tires from the retailer that can service them where ever you may be when service is needed.

My Discount Tire adventure:

That same Florida to Michigan with boat trip I mentioned earlier, I blew a tire on the trailer that was new and had 2,200 miles on it. I put the spare on and stopped at a Goodyear store to get one of their new US made Endurance trailer tires put the now spare rim. On I-75 in Kennesaw, GA, the spare I had put on with now less than 400 miles on blew. I put the Goodyear spare on, pulled into a Discount Tire 5 minutes before they closed and an hour latter, I had 4 more Goodyear Endurance tires to match the one I had purchased earlier in the day.

Posts: 10913 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My 14 year old Jeep with 109k miles has never had an alignment and my tires last about 40k which is fine with me.

Posts: 1393 | Location: County 18, OH | Registered: April 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I've used Discount Tire and they've been good. For the last set of tires I purchased for my 2003 Civic, I ended up using a local chain: Gator Tire. I bought their house brand of tire and it came with their road hazard warranty which ended up coming in very handy as I had gotten nails in my tire which were plugged. Had a tire replaced due to me rubbing the sidewall against a jack stand and puncturing the sidewall.

Used Sam's Club once. My toll transponder ended up getting stolen and used for a week or so. Roll Eyes

Posts: 13097 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shovelhead:

Guess I’m the spoiler here, not too happy with Discount Tire based on my last two visits there.
A polite letter to company HQ will very likely get great results for you.

In 20 or 30 years of dealing with Discount Tires I have had one instance of poor service. A courteous letter from me to HQ brought outstanding results, way over and above what was needed for the situation. Use the email in my profile if you would like me to give you details of what happened.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30650 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
I’ve bought three sets of wheels, and countless tires from Discount. Literally countless sets or pairs of tires.
Every single transaction has been great. They are the only place I would consider buying tires.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Perfection is impossible,
Trying is not…
posted Hide Post
I have been using Discount Tire for over 20 years on everything from an old (1977) 4x4 to a 2019 R8. They have been great and the best!!! We are retiring in the next year (Florida) and I've already found the Discount Tire store that I'm going to be using when we moving too (800 miles away)..

Ray

"Isn't it weird that in AMERICA, our flag & our culture offend so many people - but our benefits do not"

Posts: 516 | Location: OKC | Registered: October 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
I have been a customer of Discount Tire for almost thirty years. With one exception* the service has always been outstanding, and the price has always been competitive, for tires on many personal vehicles throughout those years, as well as our commercial truck. They are a nationwide chain, so if a problem should arise with a tire that they sold, the problem can be resolved at any store in the country, no matter where you are.

They also extend all sorts of service, even if you didn't buy the tires there. For example, if you have a puncture that can be taken care of with a simple repair, they will handle it at no charge, whether or not the tire was sold by them. They have a fast service drive through lane where they will check your tire pressures and inflate if necessary. No charge for this service, even if you did not buy the tires from them.
*NOTE: The one exception to service quality was resolved when I wrote a polite, factual letter to the CEO, describing the occurrence and expressing my disappointment. Evidently, the regional VP followed up on this, checked the description of the service problem in my letter, verified that the facts that I had stated were true, and arranged to visit me at work at my hangar at the airport. He actually remembered me from when he had been a manager at one of the local stores, years prior. He apologized for the poor service that I had received in that incident and went overboard to offer compensation for the store's failure to perform. I told him that was not necessary, the apology, and more important, the correction in the way the store would handle this type of thing in the future was all that I wanted, but he insisted and would not take "no" for an answer. Outstanding service, the problem was corrected, and I have received great service from the store ever since then.

I would never even consider going to a place like Walmart or even Costco to buy tires. Discount Tire is the only place that we (my wife and I) really trust to do things the right way.

I have been using them for almost 15 years, just went in for a rotation and it took 30 minutes.

Great service and they have stores many places for warranty work.

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Guessing I've had better luck than some.

Went shopping for some tires and the best rated tires for my wheel size was at Walmart. They had the four tires in stock and I was in and out in about 45 minutes.
My spare was made in 2003, so I replaced it with an $11 wheel and they had a tire that I could use for $64.

They opened a new Discount Tire nearby. Next time I need some, I might have to check them out.

Posts: 9144 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Discount Tire.

Except, the store nearest me went to shit several months ago. Took 2 different cars in for tire rotation and balance, and both times left with a vibration, and short 1 wheel lock.

The store is so busy that an appointment is 3-4 days out. The one just a little further is no where near as busy for some odd reason (can often get an appointment the same day), much better service, and they fixed the balance issues.

I need tires soon and will be going back.

Posts: 4009 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
I don’t understand buying tires without checking the alignment. That is my problem with Discount Tire.

This is an strange position to take, in my (not expert) opinion.

Your suspension should stay aligned unless you biffed it against something or did something to change the suspension geometry, no?

Perhaps it just the way I drive vehicles until they’re twenty years old. If you are putting 50-70,000 miles on a vehicle between new tires, there’s a good chance that there have been some wear to your suspension components. Neoprene bushings, springs, torsion bars, etc, all will wear with age. This is why your alignment is adjustable, to account for the wear. I like to have the alignment checked at the time that I’m buying new tires.

Granted, some vehicles are worse than others. The GM half ton suspension on my 4WD Tahoe is one that needs constant attention. My 1995 C2500 hasn’t had an alignment in fifteen years.

The shop I frequent doesn’t up-sell an alignment. In fact, they don’t mention it at all. I usually have to request it.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8215 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:

A polite letter to company HQ will very likely get great results for you.

In 20 or 30 years of dealing with Discount Tires I have had one instance of poor service. A courteous letter from me to HQ brought outstanding results, way over and above what was needed for the situation. Use the email in my profile if you would like me to give you details of what happened.

V-Tail,

Thank you but it's really not worth pursuing. Basically upsell information that was not true relating to TPMS replacement and trying to push what tires he had in stock on me despite a specific brand and model I asked for. Two different day, two different associates separated by about a year in visits.

I chalk it up to store manager goals as my visit and subsequent purchase of tires previous to these incidents was completely satisfactory.

————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8099 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Basically upsell information that was not true relating to TPMS replacement and trying to push what tires he had in stock on me despite a specific brand and model I asked for.
I chalk it up to store manager goals ...

Must be. I've dealt with, I think?, three different DT stores and they've all been great.

The one I'm dealing with now saved me a ton of money on TPMS'. The dealership wanted to replace all four. DT identified and replaced just the one, and waived the test/inspection fee.

One time, when I wanted specific tires, they allowed as how they would get them for me, but recommended something else, instead. Gave me the reasons why. I looked into it. They were right, and the tires they sold me, instead, were better than what I'd wanted.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ensigmatic,

That is what happened to me. One bad TPMS that they diagnosed the week before but between their work load and my schedule it was the following week I went in. The salesman that day was pushing me to replace all four at that time stating "If one is bad the others are soon to follow."

My experience obviously has been different than his after working in dealerships for a long time.
I didn't pull the "I used to work in a dealership" line on him, just told him to replace the bad one and I'd deal with the others failing when they did so.

Three years later on now an eleven year old vehicle with 105k on it, still running three of the original ones on it.

That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anush:
I only needed 2 tires & asked that they be installed on the front as the 2 rear tires on the rear were almost new. I was told that the tires must be installed on the rear. I said that I preferred the front as I wanted the better tread for wet weather, the front wore faster & since the auto was full time all wheel drive I needed the circumference to be almost equal. They still refused to install the tires on the front.

To be fair, they were right, and you were wrong. Industry standard and millions of dollars worth of testing has proven this out... all proper tire stores will always install new tread on the rear. Replace the two most worn tires, and put the new tread on the rear, even if it means moving rims around.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Industry standard and millions of dollars worth of testing has proven this out

You can spend billions on Government testing but it depends on many factors. In my case the full time AWD requires all four tires to be the same circumference & the front wore much faster. I am speaking of performance tires with only 20000 mile life. Not relating to my Touareg but in past autos I much rather have oversteer than understeer when racing mountain roads 55 to 60 years ago. Leave low tread on the front & rear drive autos will have understeer (which the "expert" Ralph Nader said was better than oversteer in the Corvair). Leave low tread on the front and in the rain your auto will more likely plane because the front tires pushed much of the water away when the rear tires followed. I would much reather be able to steer my auto than have rear traction. Ever put snow tires only on the front of a front wheel drive? If so you will quickly find out why you need 4 snow tires. The point is, I am buying the tires & I am more knowledgable about my auto. I remember the "new tires in the rear" thing started about 40 years ago when front wheel drive became predominant in autos.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4264 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anush:
Ever put snow tires only on the front of a front wheel drive? If so you will quickly find out why you need 4 snow tires.

I did that once in college on my 1984 VW Rabbit. I was quickly doing circles down the freeway like I was riding the teacups at Disneyland. Smile The snow tires did a good job of digging me out of the median.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8215 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Suppressed
posted Hide Post
The last two times I went to Costco for tires, they "found" a problem with the tire pressure monitoring sensors. It cost around $100 to fix it each time. There is a local independent shop that I use for my commercial trucks and now also my passenger cars. Not once have they had a problem with the sensors and it takes less of my time.

Posts: 3229 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
For tires I only deal with Discount Tire and batteries it's Walmart. Only reason is the warranty. I go anywhere in the US and the warranty on either is covered.

Posts: 5300 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve always had good luck at Discount Tire. However, in San Marcos Tx a reservation is a good idea. It will be several days out and there will still be a long wait. You will burn most of a day.

Last time, I went to Costco and they were through by the time I finished buying groceries. Price was comptitive with Discount.

Posts: 1607 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post