SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Chicago PD television series
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chicago PD television series Login/Join 
Picture of wrightd
posted
it bothers me. i must be overly sensitive, but my wife likes the show, but i don't like seeing officers comiting felonies against perps to get confessions out of them. do the bad guys deserve it ? yea. but thats not what bothers me, its the fact that the police are turning their heads when their boss starts choking a perp or sticking his pistol in their mouth to extract information or a confession. i'm sure i'm just being a patsy, but it still bothers me. you really can't portray a good cop getting results by comiting daily felonies to extract information from turds. our constitution is only as good as the good guys that honor it.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8637 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Steve in PA
posted Hide Post
It's television.

But, too many people can't understand that (not you, the OP, other people).

I did watch all the popular ones; Hills Street Blues, Homicide: Life on the Street, NYPD Blue, The Shield, etc.

Some are better than the others. Hell, Reno 911 is more like real life LE work than some of them! LOL!

Steve
"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Posts: 3436 | Location: Northeast PA | Registered: June 05, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve in PA:

Some are better than the others. Hell, Reno 911 is more like real life LE work than some of them! LOL!

I've been saying that for years!

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11446 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living my life my way
Picture of molachi
posted Hide Post
I watched a few minutes of the first episode when the show came on. That's all it took for me to stop watching.

Posts: 1756 | Location: The Backyard of Nowhere | Registered: August 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I watch Blue Bloods and enjoy it. The show seems to be more realistic and the LEO characters are well played in my opinion. I'm not LEO so I could be off base, it's just my perception.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
You can't take these shows as literal documentaries.
If they were you'd get bored real fast.
Just enjoy for what they are even if they do take liberty with facts sometimes...it is just entertainment not news.

Posts: 22859 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
Maybe has to do with vigilante justice that we all think about at sometime. Writers have big imaginations. Anyone in LE knows it can be pretty mundane. Viewers would be bored watching what LE really does. The main character "Hank" has toned down quite a bit over the last season since "Al" died.

Does the show cause some viewers to think this is how all law enforcement behaves? Maybe, but it's far from reality. Do super hero movie characters make viewers believe in super powers?

If it bothers you, there's always HGTV.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Common sense is genius dressed in its working clothes
Picture of sandman76
posted Hide Post
The thing is, Hank is one of the bad guys. Everyone knows it. Cops, firemen, his cohorts, everyone. The premise is he gets results.

Not real life though. Temporary suspension of disbelief is what makes watching TV fun.

Posts: 1956 | Location: Douglas County, Colorado | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
Point taken. I like television and movies escapism as much as anyone. But I'm not escaping enough with that PD series. It's not very creative anyway, each episode is the same type of story. But when the bad cop sticks his handgun down a perps throat, that ruins the show for me. I'm not saying there's not a time and place for the worst type emergencies, but doing that as a regular part of your imaginary "television job" ruins the show for me. I find the Chicago Fire and Chicago Med, the other two of the trio that my wife likes, just as uncreative. The FD version is pretty juvenile, with half of the firefighters acting like stupid teenagers. Chicago Med is better than the other two, so I'll watch that with her depending. That lots of watchers like the series because it's good escapism entertainment, it's not my cup of tea.

Guardians of the Galaxy. Now that's good fun escapism.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8637 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
My wife likes the show. I hate it.

I'd rather the cops be professional and by the book as well, with one small caveat. If there is a deadline, and someone's life is literally on the line, then I'm OK with the cops roughing up, shoving a gun in someones throat, water boarding them, whatever it takes, to save an innocent life. If a hostage or captive is buried alive in a school bus and has hours to live, I WANT the cops to beat the suspects ass and get the hostage's location, to save a life. Of course, this scenario is extremely rare, perhaps less than 5 instances a year country wide.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
The average actual viewing time of a one hour tv show is just 42 minutes due to commercials. That's about 6 minutes between commercials. That time will probably continue to decrease.

That doesn't give much time for the story to unfold. I hate 'to be continued' episodes. I want closure and the satisfaction the bad guy got his. In reality, a case might take weeks if not months to solve. Writers have to cram that into 42 minutes.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I rank this program right up there with NCIS-New Orleans. Horrible casting (including the neanderthal sergeant), horrible stories, horrible acting, etc....

I watched it for awhile, but only because Sophia Bush was on it and I could look at her all day. She was the only thing the program had going for it. Now it has nothing.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
seems to me that they only wear their vests when they feel like it.

I lost count of the times that they went in too clear a build w/o putting a vest on Eek

and waiting for back up seems to be out of their thought process , a lot of the time's as well

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54504 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Chicago PD is horrible.

Badly acted, badly written, and nothing like reality, not least because of the idea that beating information out of criminals is a regular part of police work, or that it should be condoned or ignored.

It is a terrible show. My wife watched it for a season over my protests, but she gave it up.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wrightd:
i don't like seeing officers comiting felonies against perps to get confessions out of them. its the fact that the police are turning their heads when their boss starts choking a perp or sticking his pistol in their mouth to extract information or a confession.

I don't watch Chicago PD, but I used to watch the new Hawaii Five-0 where they do that all the time. A different aspect bothers me. I'm bothered when the perp always folds under the pressure. Because it's mainstream network TV, they never seem to come across anyone truly defiant or psychopathic. I'd like to see the perp with a gun to his head to tell the police interrogator to pull the trigger. I prefer scenes such as Heath Ledger being punched and thrown around the interrogation room in Dark Knight but just laughing maniacally, or Patricia Arquette lying in a bloody mess in True Romance but still defying James Gandolfini, or Elijah Wood in Sin City with his arms and legs sawed off and being fed to dogs but still smiling calmly and not reacting. Why don't those people ever show up on those TV shows?

Posts: 5580 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Chicago This..Chicago That!!
If the world needed a enema, guess where I would put the hose.

Posts: 33 | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Jerkoff PD couldn't hold a candle to Dirty Harry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buNwwAximcE

Posts: 27837 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Voight was just on an episode of N.Y.P.D. Blue
( that was weird)

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54504 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
The most accurate, true to life police show ever, still relevant even today, Barney Miller.

Posts: 2765 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post