SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Gunzilla - CLP not buying their claims about being the best.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gunzilla - CLP not buying their claims about being the best. Login/Join 
Picture of redlickranch
posted
Picked up some Gunzilla CLP and wiped down a few of my long guns and pistols. I typically use breakfree, but this stuff was suppose to be better. The claims were Superior Rust Protection and a superior Lube and cleaner. I noticed that it seems to dry up on the firearms and I noticed there are rust spots on my 11/87 receiver. Never noticed rust there before, but I have it now. Also noticed the lube seems to dry unlike the Breakfree CLP I typically use. I have pissed away $28 on dumber stuff, but I am not impressed with this Gunzilla stuff. Anyone else here try it?

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1047 | Location: Bluegrass State GO CARDS!!! | Registered: July 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
It's the one I settled on after trying several. Has never let me down so far.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16263 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
CLP has never done me wrong. I won’t be taking chances with something else.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3955 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
28 bucks? Ouch! And Breakfree makes a CLP long term preservative oil.
I have not tried it.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16003 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
And Breakfree makes a CLP long term preservative oil.
I have not tried it.

Breakfree Collector. It's not a CLP (Clean/Lube/Protect)... Just a P. You have to C and L with other products.

I use it on my milsurp collection, which spends most of its time in safes.

It's heavier than most oils and works well for long-term storage, but unlike thick preservative grease, you don't have to remove it before hitting the range.

However, it's not just for storage. Some people use Collector on the exterior of their more rust-prone guns that see more frequent use, like carry guns with blued finishes or duck-hunting shotguns, since it provides better rust protection than standard gun oils.

Posts: 32417 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you want cheap long term protection , get a small jar of Vaseline . Works great and cleans off very easily .

Posts: 3968 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I picked some up when I couldn't find FP-10 locally anymore (great stuff, FP-10). Other than the odor, Gunzilla seems to fit the bill..

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15500 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
this stuff was suppose to be better

Yeah, the lube wars never end.

I buy SLIP2000 in bulk and forget about it. Wink

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear that. Breakfree CLP is excellent in rust and corrosion and that is what I use it for but for even better protection Eezox is terrific if applied via directions and allowed to dry. Yeah it is best to be suspicious about claims and do some further investigations.

Posts: 9730 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Take the risk or
lose the chance
posted Hide Post
Been using Breakfree CLP for 30 years. Buy it by the gallon. None of my guns have rusted - even on the Gulf Coast. Never could get on board with "the next best thing".

----------------------------------------
“The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”

Posts: 1475 | Location: RR12 | Registered: February 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
EEZOX has been my go to rust preventative lube for quite a long time now - works very well.

Posts: 22854 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
I used Eezox for a while, until I could no longer convince myself that I didn't mind the smell. It does seem to be the best for metal protection. That's when I went to second best, Gunzilla.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16263 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redlickranch
posted Hide Post
I was using the red stuff in the middle that I picked up at the Machine Gun shoot years ago. going to try the Slip2000 and picked up a new can of CLP also.

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1047 | Location: Bluegrass State GO CARDS!!! | Registered: July 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
I've switched to weapon shield, it's really fantastic.

Posts: 8143 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
for longer term storage, and for fluff and buff on my mags and springs, I like Prevox from the makers of Kroil.

Stuff reminds me of carnuba wax, and seems to help keep my mags free of lint and dirt as well as preventing any rust.

Supposed to be good for 6 months or more in humid conditions, and they also have a 1 year weatherproof coating, but it requires mineral spirits to remove.

http://www.kanolabs.com/indSpec.html

Rust Preventative and Lubricant
Rustproofing lubricant. Waxlike coating provides long-lasting rustproofing in humid conditions PLUS lubrication. Clear coating is harmless to metals, and non-flammable. Protects metal surfaces for 6 months or more. Prevox is easily removed with standard solvents.

Posts: 278 | Registered: October 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
In my line of work it's not uncommon to need to protect exposes metals against corrosion for the purposes of long term storage.

Here's what I use for that:

And once upon a time somebody conducted a series of test which included all of the well known products marketed to gun collectors, and just so happened to include this product as well. It's worth taking a look at his results.

Note that the WD product is only for corrosion protection and is not designed to have any cleaning or lubrication abilities.

http://www.dayattherange.com/?page_id=3667

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15692 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought a small bottle of the Gunzilla and took it to my very last weapons qualification/range weekends with my reserve unit.

I thought it was okay nothing special. A few of the other soldiers in my group really liked it, and they were all 11B/19D guys who left AD and switched to reserves.

I put it on my M4, M9 and one of the 240's. I liked it better than army issued CLP because it was not as thick.

I seem to believe that it clean up pretty quick. I think that was what made me like it.

A few years ago on the local gun forum in VA, I bought a P226 off an individual out of the Norfolk area. When I inspected it I observed that it had this red lube/oil on the rails and when I shot it ran like a top. I never could figure out what the name was until I just read redlickranch post.

I really would like to get a bottle of it and try it on my P229 and P239.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redlickranch
posted Hide Post
Both the red bottles came from the Knob Creek Machine Gun shoot.

One bottle is marked GROILE it sticks to guns really well.

MPI Miracle Products International P.O. Box 44 Milton, WI 53568

https://www.bobsmiracleproducts.com/

They sell Gun Blue, Cleaners and Oil. I didn't see him at the last shoot so hopefully they are still in business. They made the best cold blue I have ever used for touch ups.
https://www.bobsmiracleproducts.com/more-products

NRA Life Member

Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
I've always liked and rely on Corrosion-X.
I never have any rust issues.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16486 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redlickranch
posted Hide Post
Never heard of Corrosion-X will have to look into that one. Thank You

NRA Life Member