SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    What's the worst part of getting old...
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's the worst part of getting old... Login/Join 
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Thinking that you're still 30 and then realizing that you're not.

Posts: 20075 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
I've been doing that for the last fifty years.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30641 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:

This and also not being able to get away with eating the stuff you really like!!!!!! Forgetting things when you used to be able to remember everything.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jimmy123x,

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
You could start off with this:

"Oh, Hello. This call is being recorded for quality control and/or training purposes. Before we continue our conversation, please clearly provide your full name, company name and address, employee ID number and phone number to return calls."

Posts: 9032 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by h2oys:
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
As far as the calls go, I have a load coil detector. The solicitor usually has a headset. Yup! They don't stay on the line for long. Big Grin

explanation of load coil detector please?

Ages ago, transmission lines needed to be amplified because signal degradation over great distances. The solution was to put a coil (step up transformer) on the wires to amplify the signal. Along comes the internet and Caller ID. A data burst (chirp) wouldn't be affected by the coil, but as speeds went faster, they couldn't be transmitted through the coils efficiently. This lead to the coils being removed at the expense of audio quality.

The load coil detector would send a test signal out and receive an echo from each coil. To get the echo, the transmitted signal would be obscenely loud. The manual detectors will allow you to transmit at any frequency. The automatic detectors are louder for a shorter period of time and repeat (sine wave) at a lower signal. The signal itself is very shrill and unpleasant. It makes a fax machine or dial-up modem sound more like a harmonic symphony.

Posts: 9140 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
Dealing with self centeredness, self importance & .....
the beautiful women not being in my lane anymore :/

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
Knowing that it's only going to get worse.

Posts: 7262 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by h2oys:
quote:
As far as the calls go, I have a load coil detector. The solicitor usually has a headset. Yup! They don't stay on the line for long. Big Grin

explanation of load coil detector please?

Ages ago, transmission lines needed to be amplified because signal degradation over great distances. The solution was to put a coil (step up transformer) on the wires to amplify the signal. Along comes the internet and Caller ID. A data burst (chirp) wouldn't be affected by the coil, but as speeds went faster, they couldn't be transmitted through the coils efficiently. This lead to the coils being removed at the expense of audio quality.

The load coil detector would send a test signal out and receive an echo from each coil. To get the echo, the transmitted signal would be obscenely loud. The manual detectors will allow you to transmit at any frequency. The automatic detectors are louder for a shorter period of time and repeat (sine wave) at a lower signal. The signal itself is very shrill and unpleasant. It makes a fax machine or dial-up modem sound more like a harmonic symphony.

thank you

Posts: 3716 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Watching your favorite TV shows and wondering why all the ads are for catheters, Depends, walk-in bathtubs and funeral expense insurance.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NK402:
Watching your favorite TV shows and wondering why all the ads are for catheters, Depends, walk-in bathtubs and funeral expense insurance.

Don't forget the reverse mortgages!

Posts: 7262 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When the songs you like are now in medicine commercials.

Posts: 7016 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Speedbird
posted Hide Post
being invisible

Posts: 502 | Location: Fort Couch (VA) | Registered: December 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
Losing your hair.

I was in a salon once getting a haircut after I had developed an obvious friar tuck bald spot. While the stylist was cutting my hair this little boy around 8 years old climbed into the next chair. While his stylist was working I noticed he was staring intently at my bald spot.

Out of nowhere he blurts out… “That guy is BALD!”. Everyone in the place turned to gawk at me. His mother was horrified and tried to apologize by saying “it happens to men, honey- one day it could happen to you, too”.

“NO WAY”, he yelled, “If I ever get that bald I’ll kill myself”...

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rinehart:
Losing your hair.

I was in a salon once getting a haircut after I had developed an obvious friar tuck bald spot. While the stylist was cutting my hair this little boy around 8 years old climbed into the next chair. While his stylist was working I noticed he was staring intently at my bald spot.

Out of nowhere he blurts out… “That guy is BALD!”. Everyone in the place turned to gawk at me. His mother was horrified and tried to apologize by saying “it happens to men, honey- one day it could happen to you, too”.

I worked at a business that one of the regular customers was an Indian, he was standing behind me and I joked that I was a little uneasy about that. He replied that no self respecting indian would bother with scalping me, due to the hole that mine had in the back, it would make for a sad looking scalp.

Posts: 12178 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
I just got all my prescriptions from Walgreens in a bag the size you used to have for your brown bag lunch. I probably looked like this when they gave it to me...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by clubleaf206:
quote:
Losing your hair.

I worked at a business that one of the regular customers was an Indian, he was standing behind me and I joked that I was a little uneasy about that. He replied that no self respecting indian would bother with scalping me, due to the hole that mine had in the back, it would make for a sad looking scalp.

Great story- these days I'm pretty much mostly scalp. But for some strange reason I can grow a awesome beard, and my nose and ear hair seem to have enabled accelerated growth...

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
quote:
[QUOTE]
Great story- these days I'm pretty much mostly scalp. But for some strange reason I can grow a awesome beard, and my nose and ear hair seem to have enabled accelerated growth...

Myself, I’m pretty much “solar powered”, although I’m often of the opinion that the hair didn’t fall out, it migrated to my chest, back and shoulders. *sigh*

Posts: 12178 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Are you f*cking kidding me.

When I turned 40, my eye Doc told me I would see some changes and may need readers. Bullshit, I have had 20/20 vision all my life. Well shit my britches and call me stinky. The day I turned 40, I noticed I needed longer arms, to hold a menu a little farther away, in order to read it.

When I was 54, after several tests, my Doc put me on 10mg. of atovostatin and a baby aspirin. He told me I would take this for the rest of my life. WTF? Really, I am relatively healthy. he explained with my family genes, there is only so much diet and exercise can do. Whatever!!! It took me a couple of weeks to realize what he said was probably true.

10 days ago, I self-diagnosed gout in my right, big toe. WTF?????? This shit is painful. I took some ibuprofen and thought it would go away. Still not 100% sure what the trigger was. I suspected eating Salmon three nights in a row, but could not confirm. I e-mailed my doc yesterday and he ordered some blood work. My uric acid level as 6.3, well within what they consider normal. Doc explains anything over 6.0 can trigger an attack. Ok, so make it go away. He prescribes Allopurinol, to be taken once this bout of gout goes away. I ask how long will I need to take it? He says, well, forever.

WTF???????

I do not want to be taking medicine every day, for the rest of my life. Doc says ok. But the gout may return.

Rant off.

I really do have much to be thankful for and getting old should be one of those things.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36838 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
deciding the exact moment when no one will miss you

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54602 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P-220:
Are you f*cking kidding me.

10 days ago, I self-diagnosed gout in my right, big toe. WTF?????? This shit is painful. I took some ibuprofen and thought it would go away. Still not 100% sure what the trigger was. I suspected eating Salmon three nights in a row, but could not confirm. I e-mailed my doc yesterday and he ordered some blood work. My uric acid level as 6.3, well within what they consider normal. Doc explains anything over 6.0 can trigger an attack. Ok, so make it go away. He prescribes Allopurinol, to be taken once this bout of gout goes away. I ask how long will I need to take it? He says, well, forever.

WTF???????

I do not want to be taking medicine every day, for the rest of my life. Doc says ok. But the gout may return.

Generally its shellfish or very rich meats they blame, alcohol as well.

Might be the beers you had with the salmon.

First episode of "Whatdafuqthatshidthurtslikeamofo?"Gout hit on a flight to Houston, no warning, no hints, just bam! Try walking from the farthest SW terminal to baggage claim with a fresh big toe of Gout, then a meeting, then back through Hobby and fly home.

It took a while but we figured out that the Gout was triggered by a new HPBP medicine that contained a diuretic as a component of the pill, Doc had no idea, I found it when doing research on the interwebs about Gout, like you I wanted off the pills.

Went a year on that BP and Allopurinol etc, Uric Acid tests showed high with frequent attacks.

Finally after research found that some medications with diuretic components can trigger Gout attacks. Doc changed the script on my BP meds and bam, no gout... for several years.

Check your meds....

Posts: 23381 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post