SIGforum
Craftsman Tool Chests

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/230601935/m/7520024154

December 30, 2018, 12:09 AM
sns3guppy
Craftsman Tool Chests
I have that rolling cart. It's okay for a beater, but not remotely what a snap-on is. Not nearly the cost, either, but not close to the value.

Harbor freight is harbor freight, but there is no universe in which it should be compared to snap-on.
December 30, 2018, 05:30 PM
armedmd
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
Check out the HD Husky pro boxes. They get outstanding reviews, are made of heavier gauge steel, have excellent glides, heavy-duty casters.

I went with this model as well and have been very satisfied with the purchase.

Build a man a fire and keep him warm for a night, set a man on fire and keep him warm the rest of his life.
December 31, 2018, 10:41 AM
Graniteer
Check out Lista Cabinets. They are very expensive, but can handle just about anything. The drawers at full extension can still hold 400 lbs, so you could do chin ups on it without worry.

Price is high though, as mentioned.
January 23, 2019, 11:17 PM
Aquabird
They used to have a Kennedy factory about 15 miles from my home. They had an outlet for blems and slightly dented or bad paint job units. Bought a few there and they were very good quality for about half of new.
Not sure where they are made now?? Not sure if outlet is there still...probably China.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member
January 24, 2019, 11:42 PM
XLT
Harbor freight with a Milwaukee decal. I had a snap on before this one but sold it all off during the Obummer years to survive.

it's not snap on quality but not bad for the price you just cant beat it.

January 31, 2019, 02:55 PM
Wasabibill
I decided to replace my tool box last Summer. I shopped everywhere and ultimately bought a Husky from Home Depot. It was for sale for $899. I waited until the Thanksgiving weekend and bought it for $200 off. I received a generous gift from a fellow I work with that further reduced my out-of-pocket to less than $300.00. I really like having my tools spread out so I can find them quickly.

The Harbor Freight box is nicer, has better locks and has better reviews on YouTube BUT they very rarely have a sale or coupon which applies to their chests.

____

I'm filled with gratitude for the blessings I've received.
January 31, 2019, 06:28 PM
PHPaul

First off, +1 on the Harbor Freight US General boxes. If I were currently in the market for a new box, that's the first place I'd look.

However, I found the pictured Husky box at Deep Homo marked down due to cosmetic blemishes and a couple of easily fixed dents. Paid $700 for the top and bottom (on the right). I worked out of it full time for a couple of years, then moved it into my garage when I retired.

It's not a Snap-on, but it's plenty for me and there were fewer zeroes in the price.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.
February 02, 2019, 07:43 PM
CT Dakota
Watch craigslist, you can usually find a good deal on a used professional grade box there.
February 02, 2019, 08:31 PM
OKCGene
^^^^^^ Hey PH Paul that's awesome! Two top'n'bottom combos!

I assume the left side boxes are for Metric tools and the other is for SAE tools! Wow!
February 03, 2019, 06:55 PM
kg5388
Call the local tool guys they take used boxes in on trade or may have repo boxes they want to get rid of. I bought a 2 year old $5000 Matco box that was a repo with one scratch down the back for $1500

February 04, 2019, 05:43 AM
Oz_Shadow
Look for drawer lining material in a roll in the kitchen section of stores like Meijer. Way cheaper than precut. I personally like it to keep small tools from going everywhere.
February 04, 2019, 05:45 AM
PHPaul
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
^^^^^^ Hey PH Paul that's awesome! Two top'n'bottom combos!

I assume the left side boxes are for Metric tools and the other is for SAE tools! Wow!

Actually, the one on the left is a Kobalt shelf-and-drawer setup I bought at the local surplus outlet. Got a killer deal on it, really improved my storage situation.

Every time I'm in town I check to see if they got another one in. One of those places where the inventory changes day-to-day and sometimes hour-by-hour!

That set of drawers just above the motorcycle handlebars is a hanging side cabinet I found at the same place. It's just sitting on the shelf.

All, or at least most, of my hand tools are in the right hand set of boxes. The shelf-and-drawer is a few corded power tools and lebendy-seven little parts boxes full of supplies like crimp-on terminals, cable ties, pop rivets, snap rings, o-rings, cotter keys, key stock, grommets, copper crush washers, etc. etc.

I HATE being in the middle of a job and not having this or that on hand, so when it happens, I buy an assortment and tuck it away.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.