SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    the shelves are empty...AGAIN!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

the shelves are empty...AGAIN! Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I stand by what I said. New gun owners aren’t shooters in most cases. So they buy some amount that probably doesn’t get shot after the warm glow wears off. Some of the hoarders (you know who you are) are literally buying for a war. Eventually they will be sated. When that happens I will buy a bit more than I normally do. In normal times I buy a quarters worth of ammo. 3 cases at a time to last the next 3 months. I never thought of that as hoarding. I now will probably double it so that I can ride out any reasonable shortage and still practice and shoot matches at will.

My only real issue is hoarding to the point of insanity which means something different to everyone obviously and the idiots who are cleaning out the local supply and selling on gunbroker. I know lots of you guys love the capitalistic aspect of that but I just don’t.

You think that’s Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde well ok, I don’t. This whole shortage is 100% fueled in order of priority, opportunity sellers, hoarders waiting for civilization to disappear, and new gun owners. It will settle out. I just wish I had planned better.

To be more specific I categorize hoarders as people who buy a product not actually intending to use it. Preppers, end of the world guys, planning for the revolution types. Which is perfectly fine in normal times. It sucks now. Buying ammo that you literally are going to shoot in the next year isn’t hoarding it’s just buying a shitload of ammo.

It’s kind of like buying magazines. If you weren’t afraid of the 2a being constantly challenged you probably wouldn’t own 3 big boxes of unopened mags. Lol. You would just buy them as needed.

Posts: 7446 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
I stand by what I said. New gun owners aren’t shooters in most cases. So they buy some amount that probably doesn’t get shot after the warm glow wears off. Some of the hoarders (you know who you are) are literally buying for a war. Eventually they will be sated. When that happens I will buy a bit more than I normally do. In normal times I buy a quarters worth of ammo. 3 cases at a time to last the next 3 months. I never thought of that as hoarding. I now will probably double it so that I can ride out any reasonable shortage and still practice and shoot matches at will.

My only real issue is hoarding to the point of insanity which means something different to everyone obviously and the idiots who are cleaning out the local supply and selling on gunbroker. I know lots of you guys love the capitalistic aspect of that but I just don’t.

You think that’s Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde well ok, I don’t. This whole shortage is 100% fueled in order of priority, opportunity sellers, hoarders waiting for civilization to disappear, and new gun owners. It will settle out. I just wish I had planned better.

To be more specific I categorize hoarders as people who buy a product not actually intending to use it. Preppers, end of the world guys, planning for the revolution types. Which is perfectly fine in normal times. It sucks now. Buying ammo that you literally are going to shoot in the next year isn’t hoarding it’s just buying a shitload of ammo.

It’s kind of like buying magazines. If you weren’t afraid of the 2a being constantly challenged you probably wouldn’t own 3 big boxes of unopened mags. Lol. You would just buy them as needed.

I think the main thing is that you are justifying your level of purchases while complaining about others level of purchases preventing you from making your level of purchases.

Most of the time its extremely easy to justify what "YOU" do yourself.

I'm not saying you are a hoarder or buying too much, I'm just saying there is a level of hypocrisy in your post.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6314 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
Over the last four or so years I set myself a goal of having 10 years worth of ammo, and enough magazines for a lifetime of shooting.

Is that hoarding? Depends on who you ask of course. But very few, if any, of my large purchases prevented anyone else from buying ammo. I bought everything when there was a surplus and while ammo was at its cheapest in almost 20 years. I have only bought one case since March, and that was in July on sale for a crazy deal even for pre-covid prices. I have not bought a single round other than that one case.

But that’s how I am with everything from laundry detergent to water. I also didn’t buy a single roll of TP from March to about September. And when I bought it in September the aisle was completely full.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15251 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Pedropcola, my earlier point was that complaining about other people's purchases causing these shortages, and then stating in the next paragraph that as soon as this is over you "will stock up more than normal." That is the very definition of hoarding. Hence my Dr. Jekyll & Mr Hyde reference.

Do not conflate price-goughers with hoarders. Most hoarders do feel they need the ammo, even if it isn't for shooting immediately. It's part of an overall preparedness plan. I purchased two fire extinguishers today but I'm not hoping for a house fire. Hoarding/prepping is about being prepared, even if that need for the ammunition never materializes. I do not consider myself a hoarder even though I have A LOT of ammunition on hand. I haven't purchased a single round in twelve months. I've always purchased when it was affordable while sitting out these panics. Price-goughers are bastards who should rot in hell. These aren't the hoarders. In fact, true hoarders won't part with the stash at nearly any price. It's the possession that gives the pleasure.

If you are shooting a case of ammunition a month, then you are likely in the top 5% of all gun owners. There's no reason why you have more right to use 12 cases of ammunition a year over somebody who wants to keep two cases in the basement. In fact, even with all my ammunition, I probably couldn't supply you for six months.

I know these times suck for those who use lots of ammunition. I know it's frustrating, but it's not the fault of other shooters. It is just a thing that will need to work itself out.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8214 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have read articles about people who have three years worth of both wet and dry goods.

Some of them will buy booze ,ammo, medicine stuff.
In case they need to trade in the event social circumstances prevent conventional shopping.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54602 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I'm starting to think I need to buy land a build a barn just to store all the stuff I need to survive for like 10 years. I have a wife and 4 kids, which means 6 mouths to feed, 6 bodies to clothe, six butts to wipe, 6 people worth of fuel to transport, and a whole bunch of guns to provide ammo for. Retailers around here absolutely sucked at keeping stuff on the shelves before everybody started losing their minds. I can't tell you how many times pre-covid I had to go to 5 different stores looking for an item, just to end up having to order it online. Now it's hardly worth even going to the store.

On the upside, I've got a garden, access to roadkill deer (yeah, we butchered and ate one last month that got hit down the road...it was fresh, and I got the appropriate legal permit), connections to local farmers, and the Amish bulk food places. Now if I could only find an inside track on primers, I'd be good...

Posts: 8534 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
I'm starting to think I need to buy land a build a barn just to store all the stuff I need to survive for like 10 years. I have a wife and 4 kids, which means 6 mouths to feed, 6 bodies to clothe, six butts to wipe, 6 people worth of fuel to transport, and a whole bunch of guns to provide ammo for. Retailers around here absolutely sucked at keeping stuff on the shelves before everybody started losing their minds. I can't tell you how many times pre-covid I had to go to 5 different stores looking for an item, just to end up having to order it online. Now it's hardly worth even going to the store.

On the upside, I've got a garden, access to roadkill deer (yeah, we butchered and ate one last month that got hit down the road...it was fresh, and I got the appropriate legal permit), connections to local farmers, and the Amish bulk food places. Now if I could only find an inside track on primers, I'd be good...

It starts to get overwhelming.

I've taken a slightly different approach. We've started trying to live more simply. This by default makes our supplies last longer while taking up zero space.

Because of COVID and military restrictions changing daily, we keep a month or better supply of food on hand in our apartment here in Korea. It resides on one single shelf. Rice and beans. We eat a lot of it anyway, so it wouldn't be too big of a shock.

Simplifying our lifestyles has and will continue to help more than an impractical abundance of things we THINK we need daily.

Being overseas and moving every 24-36 months, I have a fraction of the preparedness I used to. But I also have access to way more MRE's than you guys do Smile

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6314 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
People talk a lot about storing food but rarely mention the one thing that if cutoff, would cause real issues in a real hurry - water.

Unless you have a reliable well and manual pump, or live in very close proximity to a lake or river, you fall into the category above.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hear you guys. It’s kind of a mindset thing to me. Buying to stock a barn for the apocalypse is not the same as buying to stock the next 3-6 months of shooting. A fine line perhaps but to me hoarding isn’t buying stuff you actually are using as we speak. A pallet of toilet paper because you fear you need 10 years worth is hoarding. To me. It’s a personal decision.

Funny thing is I don’t even care if you are a hoarder. In normal times. Hoarder now just seems like a dick move. Again, my personal opinion which I expect/demand no one to share.

Hoarder vs using vs selling opportunists are 3 separate things in my mind. Yes, I’m bitching about the other 2 groups because it appears that is driving the fact that I am now rationing which matches I can shoot and which I can’t. Maybe that’s hypocritical on some level maybe it’s not.

Either way I do hate gouging. And yes I am a fan of capitalism. Those two statements aren’t at odds with each other. Hypothetically pure capitalism rocks. Realistically if you have no access to water and the guy who does wants to have sex with your wife to give you access the ideology becomes a little blurry. Perhaps a poor analogy but you get my point.

Posts: 7446 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graniteguy:
People talk a lot about storing food but rarely mention the one thing that if cutoff, would cause real issues in a real hurry - water.

Unless you have a reliable well and manual pump, or live in very close proximity to a lake or river, you fall into the category above.

I was raised in Alaska and natural disasters are a way of life up there. Everyone I knew had at least 6 months worth of food stored just in case and there were times it was needed. I still do it even though I no longer live there.

As far as water goes, you left out one other possibility and that's swimming pools. They hold a lot of water and will supply you for a long time.

If the electric goes out so the pump isn't working, it's very easy to distill it yourself on a regular basis using a Sun Oven, something I have owned for a long time.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've taken a slightly different approach. We've started trying to live more simply. This by default makes our supplies last longer while taking up zero space.

Yeah, I was mainly kidding about the land and the barn. Although I'd love to own both, I can't afford it, and if I could I'd be gardening and hunting, not filling it with piles of unnecessary crap.

2020 has actually been a pretty good year for us. We've definitely simplified our lives. We're eating more simply (lots of rice and beans), started homeschooling the two older kids, and a lot of the pointless social engagements have disappeared from the schedule. We take walks and do stuff as a family. It's been good.

The only thing that's getting under my skin is having to cut back on my range time. Like Pedropcola, I shoot a lot...I carry a gun for a living, and am an instructor for my dept., so it's important to me to keep my proficiency up. I also like to compete in the Wednesday night league at our club when I can. I had what I thought was a lot of ammo and components stored up, but when you can't buy primers for a year, and there's no indication of there being any in the pipeline going forward, it quickly becomes apparent that it wasn't enough. I guess I'll be doing more fishing and less shooting until stuff gets to be available again...

Posts: 8534 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post