SIGforum
Grandson got scammed, hard lesson learned.

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/230601935/m/7510097144

May 15, 2018, 01:26 PM
cparktd
Grandson got scammed, hard lesson learned.
I'm so proud of my Grandson. HS Senior next year. He first got a job at a horse barn mucking stalls. Then he got a better job for 2 hours after school every day and Saturday mornings at a good local tire shop with the promise he can work full time this summer while school is out. He works hard for his spending money and saved up and bought a cheapish dirt bike.

Learning the value of money and such things as wants vs needs. He also quickly learned that Walmart Wranglers would function just as well as those $100 jeans that he expected his Mom to buy him.

So he decided to sell the bike and upgrade... Ok thats cool.
BUT he listed it on Craigs List. Ugg... Long story short he meets a guy in Nashville to show it. Yea... Guy jumps on it and rides off into the sunset!

Fucking bastard thief. There were no back brakes on the bike so I'm hoping Karma gets the thug killed on it.

Yes there were multiple red flags but the phrase young and dumb come to mind.. been there myself. He kind of did this on an impulse with no chance for anyone to give him any advice.

Equally frustrating is the cops (911 operator actually) advised him that they would not even come out and take a report, didn't have time. A wise bystander actually thought something was up and took a photo of the thug and shared it with my Grandson, cops still not interested.

So yea, lesson HARD learned. I feel so bad for him I'm tempted to replace the lost funds, he had $750 in the bike. But then... the painful lessons are the ones best remembered. Well see. Maybe I'll chip in on him another one if he finds one.

He is just lucky he wasn't hurt or SHOT in the deal or his truck stolen... I intend to drive that home very plainly!

The thug and the bike....

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.
May 15, 2018, 01:32 PM
BigNC
I am not a LEO or a Lawyer. But around here, those photos go on Social Media in the local area and get passed around until something turns up. They also get sent to the Police but it sounds like that hasn't helped.

Sorry for your Grandson. My boys are 19 and 16 and they have learned some hard lessons. I have helped with funds when it was no fault of their own. When they are to blame, I have shared cost or let them bear it depending on circumstances. And the money comes with a lecture or at least a lesson summary. Hope it works out for your Grand and my kids!

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Ben Franklin
May 15, 2018, 01:38 PM
recoatlift
I'd pay good, cold, hard cash to see thug hit the rear brakes, nothing happens, in a panic, hits the front brakes hard & jacks himself up good. I hate thieves!

PS & wearin' no more protection than in the photo.
May 15, 2018, 02:02 PM
Perception
quote:
Originally posted by BigNC:
I am not a LEO or a Lawyer. But around here, those photos go on Social Media in the local area and get passed around until something turns up. They also get sent to the Police but it sounds like that hasn't helped.

Sorry for your Grandson. My boys are 19 and 16 and they have learned some hard lessons. I have helped with funds when it was no fault of their own. When they are to blame, I have shared cost or let them bear it depending on circumstances. And the money comes with a lecture or at least a lesson summary. Hope it works out for your Grand and my kids!

That is one thing social media is extremely good for. Post those pics up of the guy riding off on the bike with an explanation of what happened. Be sure to make the post "public" so everyone can see it. Get friends to share it around. Somebody will know the thief and turn him in. It's a small world.

For your viewing pleasure. I can't check to see if this embed is actually working since I'm at work, I'll fix it later if it doesn't.

Video Link

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."
May 15, 2018, 02:03 PM
Lord Vaalic
quote:
Originally posted by recoatlift:
I'd pay good, cold, hard cash to see thug hit the rear brakes, nothing happens, in a panic, hits the front brakes hard & jacks himself up good. I hate thieves!

PS & wearin' no more protection than in the photo.

In this day... he would crash and sue you for having a bike with no brakes for you to steal...

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day
May 15, 2018, 02:18 PM
recoatlift
I forgot I was living in an upsidedown world!

"In this day... he would crash and sue you for having a bike with no brakes for you to steal..." Lord Vaalic, how right you are.
May 15, 2018, 02:37 PM
HRK
get the word out on social media,
contact pawn shops and motorcycle shops

Doubtful the guy is keeping it, he'll
sell it or pawn it off...

Sorry for your grandsons hard learned lesson.

May 15, 2018, 02:43 PM
h2oys
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
get the word out on social media,
contact pawn shops and motorcycle shops

Doubtful the guy is keeping it, he'll
sell it or pawn it off...

Sorry for your grandsons hard learned lesson.

+1, when your grandson starts the pawn shop/bike shop circuit hand out pics of both the thief and the bike. Hope things work out for him.
May 15, 2018, 02:47 PM
berto
That stinks.

In the future when he lets someone test ride a bike he should get cash in hand during the ride.

This tough lesson will smart for a bit. I like that you're fighting the urge to make him whole right away. Maybe a heart to heart on the ways of the world and some pointers from wise old gramps is in order. Meeting half way on a new toy afterwards would be nice.
May 15, 2018, 03:11 PM
Fredward
Any young man willing to start work by mucking out stables is one to be proud of. The theft sucks, but your grandson is going to be successful. You simply cannot fail with an attitude like that.
May 15, 2018, 03:38 PM
Oz_Shadow
Spread it on social media. Get a name and file a police report in person. Visit the district attorney. If blown off, make the public aware.
May 15, 2018, 03:51 PM
Aquabird
Kinda implies how much crime there is that they do not have the time to look into a robbery where no one is injured.
They NEVER list all the crimes committed anymore like they used to. This is so the public has no idea how bad it actually is.

I have a pole barn at a property I own a few miles from here. It got broken into, but nothing taken.

When I tried to file a police report with the Sheriffs dept, they did not want to come out.
I demanded they come out and they did. I thought if a police car is seen in the area, just one more time, maybe that would make a would be robber pass on it.

But, no did get robbed a few months later.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member
May 15, 2018, 04:06 PM
Sailor1911
Maybe call local "Crime Stoppers" and see if you can talk to the officer that works with them to see if you can get the police off the dime.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016
May 15, 2018, 06:00 PM
cparktd
Thanks for the support all, the boy was so sick to his stomach he didn't want to go to school today but he toughed it out. They called the law again today and they are going down to give a report. Most of the suggestions are being done.

Apparently this guy is known to the neighborhood as a scammer. He has used this location as a meet up before, hence the photo by the concerned citizen. I'd bet he lives within walking distance and a detective with the photo could figure him out pretty quick.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.
May 15, 2018, 06:58 PM
Lord Vaalic
Too bad vigilante justice is frowned upon by the law...

Post another bike ad, wait for him to call, go meet him and beat the snot out of him. Thats what he deserves.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day
May 15, 2018, 07:44 PM
ChuckFinley
Local TV reporter may be interested, particularly as it is a repeat offender.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis
May 16, 2018, 11:09 AM
bubbatime
Man that is infuriating. I would make it my life's mission to find said scumbag and extract double the price of the bike from him, using whatever techniques necessary.

If he is a repeat offender, I'd post up a bunch of bikes for sale, change your contact info, and wait for him to come to you.

May 19, 2018, 10:17 AM
VBVAGUY
Praying that the scammer gets caught soon and prosecuted so that he never does that again. Also that your grandson gets his property back. God Bless Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."
May 19, 2018, 11:26 AM
Todd Huffman
It'd be a damn shame if someone put a bike on sale to meet him, and the front tire came off about the time he took off. A real shame.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.
May 19, 2018, 12:05 PM
Pale Horse
quote:
Originally posted by Aquabird:
Kinda implies how much crime there is that they do not have the time to look into a robbery where no one is injured.
They NEVER list all the crimes committed anymore like they used to. This is so the public has no idea how bad it actually is.

Maybe there is so much crime because the criminals know the cops are going to do anything.

Years ago we had a work van broken into in our hotel parking lot and a bunch of tools stolen. We called the cops and they said they would take a report over the phone for our insurance company. I asked if they were coming out and the lady said they don't have time because they have over 3000 calls like this every year. I responded that maybe if they investigated once in a while there would only be 1500 the next year.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014