SIGforum
Corporate dirtbags screwing over their employees

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/230601935/m/7500020454

February 28, 2019, 06:32 AM
PHPaul
Corporate dirtbags screwing over their employees
Daughter has 20 years of experience as a Nursing Home Business Office Manager, including Payroll and HR functions.

She quit her job in that line to move up to better pay doing the same job at a boat shop.

She lost the boat shop job to nepotism and was out on her ass with no warning and no unemployment, wound up taking multiple jobs to make ends meet.

Finally wound up getting back on her feet doing much the same sort of work for decent (tho not quite as good) pay at a car repair business. Doesn't LOVE the job, but it's okay and pays the bills.

So a couple of weeks ago, the parent company of the nursing home she worked for back in the day contacted her and pretty much begged her to come work for them in their hoity-toity Bar Harbor facility offering about $2/hr more than she's currently making.

She gave it serious thought, but ultimately turned it down as she didn't want to deal with the drive and was concerned with getting a reputation for job-hopping as she's had 4 jobs in 6 months (moving up the pay ladder a little with each).

I see in the paper yesterday that the parent company has sold the facility and it's being closed. 50+ residents out of a place to live, 60+ employees out of a job. Knowing what I do about real estate sales and corporate assholes, they KNEW that when they were recruiting her.

Dodged a bullet there for sure.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.
February 28, 2019, 08:46 AM
bubbatime
Yup, hire her to the dirty work, fire her at the end. Very shady.

February 28, 2019, 08:56 AM
jimmy123x
She definitely dodged a bullet.

But a lot of times the person recruiting her, has no idea what the parent company is doing. It's entirely possible, nobody at the nursing home itself knew till they got their papers.
February 28, 2019, 09:51 AM
molachi
Good thing she took the time to think about it and then turned it down.
February 28, 2019, 10:06 AM
rscalzo
Sounds like they were a victim of govt. run healthcare. This was not the only one closed recently in that area although this one was on prime real estate.

https://www.foxbangor.com/news...losures-plague-maine

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net
February 28, 2019, 10:52 AM
PHPaul
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:

But a lot of times the person recruiting her, has no idea what the parent company is doing. It's entirely possible, nobody at the nursing home itself knew till they got their papers.

True enough. That's how it worked when they closed the cannery in town. I was far enough up the food chain to see the financials and just barely smart enough to read the writing on the wall. I bailed in September, they closed the doors and turned off the lights the following April. Less than 24 hours notice to anybody that didn't wear a suit and tie to work.

Assholes.

February 28, 2019, 04:06 PM
RHINOWSO
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
quote:

True enough. That's how it worked when they closed the cannery in town. I was far enough up the food chain to see the financials and just barely smart enough to read the writing on the wall. I bailed in September, they closed the doors and turned off the lights the following April. Less than 24 hours notice to anybody that didn't wear a suit and tie to work.

Assholes.

February 28, 2019, 05:31 PM
bryan11
A friend asked me today if I'd noticed how we used to work for companies with a 'Personnel' department, then it became 'Human Resources' department, and now it's changing to 'Human Capital Management'. Employees are view only as capital to be managed as needed.
February 28, 2019, 08:00 PM
vthoky
quote:
Originally posted by bryan11:
'Human Capital Management'

Eee-yikes! I hadn't seen that one yet.

Wow.

God bless America.
February 28, 2019, 08:14 PM
shovelhead
Just more of today's business world and ethics. A lot of slime out there.

I guess it is a good thing I'm working only for toy money now. It used to be that a man's word was good for something, at least when I started working in the 60's. The last ten years have changed my view on that but how good can a contract be in a case like this one if the company "suddenly" closes? And how hard would it be to enforce and collect if the employer defaults on the contract?

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)
February 28, 2019, 10:22 PM
smschulz
quote:
but ultimately turned it down

I see in the paper yesterday that the parent company has sold the facility and it's being closed.
50+ residents out of a place to live, 60+ employees out of a job.
Knowing what I do about real estate sales and corporate assholes, they KNEW that when they were recruiting her.

Dodged a bullet there for sure.

You don't KNOW that for sure do you, it's only speculation?
Why get worked up when you are only guessing and further more no harm was done any way? Eek
March 01, 2019, 09:33 AM
jimmy123x
quote:
quote:

Assholes.

I guess they do that, so they don't lose key employees months or weeks before it closes. So the ship stays floating, until they pull the plug...….
March 01, 2019, 09:51 AM
PHPaul
quote:

I guess they do that, so they don't lose key employees months or weeks before it closes. So the ship stays floating, until they pull the plug...….

That was my thinking as well. Still seems pretty cold-hearted to me. Not the way I'd run a business, but then I've never run a business so...

March 11, 2019, 06:38 PM
RHINOWSO
quote:
quote:

That was my thinking as well. Still seems pretty cold-hearted to me. Not the way I'd run a business, but then I've never run a business so...
Emontially driven businesses dont last long...

Person attempting to hire likely had no clue the ship was sinking.

But hey, I have stock in blood pressure meds, so please get worked up about it - you’re lining my pockets baby!!!!!