SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    "Changes to our privacy policy and terms of service"
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Changes to our privacy policy and terms of service" Login/Join 
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted
"We take your privacy very seriously, and even though Europe is passing legislation to keep us from mining and selling personal data at massive rates and profits, we will continue to do so, and since you are not in Europe we are going to continue selling your browsing history and financial information at staggering rates and profits. You are welcome"

Been getting emails all week. I used google translate to cut through the legalese, you see...

Posts: 5130 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Same. I think I'm almost through all of the sites I've on which I've got a membership, though.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't mind if they freaking told you what the changes were. Usually it's, "we've updated our policy, here's the new one." Good luck trying to figure out what's changed. Rat bastards.

My employer does the same thing. Roll Eyes

Posts: 5759 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Hell I would be fine with.....”Hey we have no nefarious goals in mind but we are a company out to make the most profit possible and frankly that means selling your info to potential vendors or advertisers of products you might enjoy such as a big black dildo or those books on cultivating hemp “rope””. I mean I could respect that.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7675 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I suppose this is what you expect from regulations.

Like when they pass prop 65 in CA requiring businesses to post signs that warn people they may encounter stuff known to cause cancer. Just about everybody has that sign now. Does it help? I don't think so, Tim.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19646 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
Same here. Just saw this thread after posting my own rant. I will see if I can delete my duplicative thread.

But these notifications are driving me buggy!!

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6395 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It’ll die back after awhile.

After an inside look at industries and data collection.... I might welcome such a regulation, especially one whereupon we terminate our business relationship, my data gets tossed.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2363 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
For what it's worth, one of my clients simply has adopted the European model for all of it's user data, no matter where you are located.

It's too expensive to have multiple systems at our scale.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12768 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post