SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Canned vegetables with WAY too much liquid
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Canned vegetables with WAY too much liquid Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
Hominy, for example – all brands. Also carrots, corn, green beans and others. Glory brand collard greens, southern style, are somewhat of an exception – some cans are more like collard green soup, but other cans have very little liquid. I’ve become adept at finding the good cans by shaking them.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8936 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
I agree. Green beans are the worst. Sometimes it looks like half the weight of what you bought is green bean water. Green bean water makes tits on a boar hog seem vital.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15477 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SFCUSARET
posted Hide Post
I don't buy canned veggies anymore except Bushes Ranch style pinto beans. I buy all frozen because they taste better and I can feel the amount through the package.

Posts: 1061 | Location: Scottsdale, AZ | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
TRICKERY......same size can with less vegetables and more liquid. Big Grin Plus a slight price increase.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SFCUSARET:
I don't buy canned veggies anymore except Bushes Ranch style pinto beans. I buy all frozen because they taste better and I can feel the amount through the package.

I don't buy any food products that comes in a can, I buy frozen vegetables which I believe are healthier and taste better.

Posts: 1627 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I think a fair amount of the liquid is coming OUT of the vegetables themselves during the canning process; heat, salt and pressure are forcing it out.

Posts: 33777 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I stopped with canned veggies a while ago. Thought it was just too salty. I think frozen tastes better and seems healthier. Like all kinds of frozen veggies. Except green beans....too “rubbery”.

Posts: 4044 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post