SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Hurricane Lane — end of our Maui stay—or not—flight canceled...stuck here to 8/28
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hurricane Lane — end of our Maui stay—or not—flight canceled...stuck here to 8/28 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
The airport hotel decided we could stay...

That's good to hear! Still a Cat 3 according to Fox News, so find something to hang onto as well! And ditch the rental car -- you don't need a claim like that if it's damaged.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9144 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Here's some music for you:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4T5gjIiLRCg

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
This is more my style:

George Kahumoku and Richard Ho’o’pi’i

Posts: 18044 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
This is more my style:

George Kahumoku and Richard Ho’o’pi’i

My son and daughter-in-law live on Oahu, 17th floor apartment facing the volcano. They,re expecting some serious wind to be whipping between those buildings

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Oh well, Lane is only a tropical storm now.
Much less exciting.

Posts: 18044 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Oh well, Lane is only a tropical storm now.
Much less exciting.

Time to go surfing!

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mcrimm:

quote:
Originally posted by Sr_Bull:
I've always thought it would be interesting to experience a low grade hurricane or tropical storm.

I rode a couple of these out in the Navy on a light cruiser. It wasn't fun then.

You're smart, Doc. I'd rather experience it on the 65" flatscreen.
Mike

When you see dining tables sliding back and forth 30 feet each way on the mess deck of an aircraft carrier, you know you're in some storm.

It was also eerie being in the eye of the storm where it's calm but you can see the gray air all around you in the distance.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19645 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
Is your lodging set and did you get rental car sorted out? If problem with either my email is in profile or Greg can give you my cell.

Posts: 6956 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Bob!
It's all sorted out. Now it's just boring waiting for our Tuesday flight out; we're at the airport Courtyard, and just need to keep the car an extra day compared with original plans.
I did have several offers of places to stay, that was great!

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear you got it all sorted out.

I was on Kauai and got out Friday (was suppose to fly back today, the 26th, originally).

Preparing for a hurricane is very different as a tourist with no place to "bug-in" to.

I also bought a gerber multi-tool from Walmart, which I will forever refer to as a "penalty tool" from now. I have five of the things I bought for cheap from milsurp shops, but I chose not to bring one with me this time because "why would I need a multi-tool in Kauai as a tourist?" Roll Eyes

The penalty for not preparing is paying full retail to buy stuff you already have. Frown

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post