SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Hurricane Lane — end of our Maui stay—or not—flight canceled...stuck here to 8/28
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hurricane Lane — end of our Maui stay—or not—flight canceled...stuck here to 8/28 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
You can sometimes dodge or avoid a tornado. Not so much with a hurricane. I have only been in one. Cat 2. Fairly mild as hurricanes go and it was still serious business.
The storm actually spawned tornados while it was going on, which was something I was not aware a hurricane could produce.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16088 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Be safe. Mother Nature scares the hell out of me the older I get. I have been through a marginal hurricane / trop storm /cat 1 and I will take that over tornados but once you get into “real” hurricanes find a hole and hide.......500 miles away.

Take care, be safe and prayers and I am sorry you got stuck in it.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Come to think of it....those P3 drivers who punch the eye.........does the aircraft need more runway and fuel to lift off with all those gigantic brass balls on board??? Props to those folks. I have never woken up thinking “you know what would be fun.....let’s fly a plane ...... into a hurricane.....for shits and giggles. Just no....whole buckets of no.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When did the last hurricane hit Hawaii? Long intervals between hits means there's more debri and unstable things to be effected by the hurricane.

I've been in the eye of 3 or 4 hurricanes and did a speed run out of Port Canaveral to out run a hurricane. It was married people ashore and single guys to sea. That ship rattled, rocked and rolled, at times we were walking on the walls.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13399 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
A number of hurricanes have come close, but I think none has struck an island itself since Iniki in 1992.
The current track includes possible landfall on Lanai, but more likely on Oahu; by that time will be down to category 2-3 but can still do devastating damage with storm surge hitting Waikiki and even the Honolulu Airport.
The mayor of Maui is trying to get people to take this seriously, but people have been through many threatened disasters so think the mayor and the experts are crying “wolf”.
I think they have no idea what a massive hurricane can do, and it’s just a matter of chance and variables that are too complicated to predict.

Posts: 18066 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
I lived through hurricane Iwa in 1982....

That was only a category 1, and did major damage to Hawaii and killed some folks...

I’ve also lived through several major hurricanes in the southeast...Hugo, Floyd, Isabel, Irene, to name a few...

I will tell you, the ability to evacuate makes them a hell of a lot less scary on the east coast

Granted I was younger, but the fact that we really couldn’t go anywhere in Hawaii made things more....complicated

If Lane truly impacts the islands as a category 5 it is going to be catastrophic on a level the islands really haven’t seen in many, many years

quote:
Originally posted by braillediver:
When did the last hurricane hit Hawaii? Long intervals between hits means there's more debri and unstable things to be effected by the hurricane.

I've been in the eye of 3 or 4 hurricanes and did a speed run out of Port Canaveral to out run a hurricane. It was married people ashore and single guys to sea. That ship rattled, rocked and rolled, at times we were walking on the walls.

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fly High, A.J.
Picture of tk13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevbo:
hurricane Iwa in 1982....

quote:
Originally posted by braillediver:

I got to Schofield Barracks, HI in March 1985. Hurricane Iwa was still widely talked about by the locals and military personnel. Quite of few of the soldiers in my unit had been on island for it and helped in the recovery/clean up efforts.

Posts: 1647 | Location: Suffolk, VA | Registered: March 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I lived through hurricane Iwa in 1982.[/quote]

I was there for that one as well. I was on the North Shore of Oahu when the first squalls were coming through. Some tourists were swept away later that day when they ventured out too far. The airlines were not telling anybody a hurricane was on the way and were flying people into Kaui which took the brunt of the storm. Some tourists we spoke with later on Maui were flown in AFTER the storm, went to the airport and rented a car before they realized their hotel was swept into the ocean. They then had to wait for three days for another flight. The attitude in 1982 was that Hurricanes never come here. The forecasting in those days was terrible for those residing in the Islands.

Posts: 17235 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
YouTube Waikiki Live Stream

Link to a YouTube live feed of the Waikiki beach area. Could be interesting to watch, assuming the feed doesn't drop.

Posts: 489 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: September 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Any word on the Lanai Cat Sanctuary? My girlfriend says there's about 600 cats there mostly rescued ferals, all outdoors with no shelter from the hurricane.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9158 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sr_Bull:
YouTube Waikiki Live Stream

Link to a YouTube live feed of the Waikiki beach area. Could be interesting to watch, assuming the feed doesn't drop.

From the description. That would have been hard to reconcile.....

quote:
This is a pre-recorded meditative film but you can watch the hurricane unfold on our other Hawaii Cams https://explore.org/livecams/hawaii/h...

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12417 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save an Elephant
Kill a Poacher
Picture of urbanwarrior238
posted Hide Post
Have a Loco Moco for me at Da Kitchen before you leave!

'I am the danger'...Hiesenberg
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1376 | Location: Escaped from Kalifornia to Arizona February 2022! | Registered: March 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
quote:
The forecasting in those days was terrible for those residing in the Islands.

It sure has changed now. Everything is prepared up the wazoo; Costco cleared out of food & water. FEMA is here, Presidential disaster declaration; each island mayor has been on TV advising people. Biggest risk may be of disappointment if the hurricane doesn’t do much damage.

Or not...predictions are only predictions. If Lane doesn’t take a very sharp turn to the west, islands will find out what landfall of a major hurricane feels like.

Posts: 18066 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
...Maybe we’ll have to go to a county shelter. Eek

That's discouraging!!!

Not sure where I heard it, but you may want to check the viability of those county shelters, since they may not withstand a hurricane.

On the brighter side, although it appears the storm will rake over the whole state, the intensity appears to be dropping.

Fingers crossed!

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9158 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
The airport hotel decided we could stay...after I texted different friends about crashing with them. Now need to extend car rental...at least we’re still dry and not hungry or thirsty...so far!

Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
quote:
The airport hotel decided we could stay...after I texted different friends about crashing with them. Now need to extend car rental...at least we’re still dry and not hungry or thirsty...so far!

I was wondering which of our members would be there for this. I thought of you first, then I remembered you had retired away from Hawaii. So, I thought you would be watching this from afar. Stay safe. You will be in my family's prayers.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
I have a friend who is on Oahu this week on vacation. Talk about rotten timing!

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16347 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
I’d suggest staying here but we’d end up in a shelter anyway if we take a hit, but if it blows over and you need a room for a couple days afterward let me know.

Posts: 6956 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

You might want to add the insurance to the car rental in this instance!

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Friends on Maui riding it out, so far so good just rainy there.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post