SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Hurricane Lane — end of our Maui stay—or not—flight canceled...stuck here to 8/28
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hurricane Lane — end of our Maui stay—or not—flight canceled...stuck here to 8/28 Login/Join 
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted
I’ve been working on Maui (again), covering a friend’s cardiology practice for a couple of weeks. Today was the last day in the office, and Mrs. Till and I were looking forward to a few days of fun before heading back to the mainland.
Just found out about the hurricane watch this morning. Canceled the condo rental where we were going to be on the south-facing beach where the 25 foot waves and storm surge are expected.
Will cancel the hotel on the west side where we were going to spend Wednesday night, also high waves expected; and with flash floods Hano’opi’ilani Highway from Lahaina to Kahului will almost certainly be flooded and closed, so we would be stuck on the west side.
Planning to spend two nights in the airport hotel, and God willing flying out Friday instead of Monday. No catamaran to watch dolphins, no birdwatching at Hosmer Grove.

Ah well, we’ve seen it all before given 7 years of living here.

UPDATE 8/23: Just got message from Alaska—flight canceled. They tried to put us on a flight to Oakland on 8/27...Yucch. Got a resched to 8/28 to San Diego. Airport hotel has no rooms Sat or Sun night, now looking for place to stay. Our friends all live in places likely to flood or have trees fall over road....will be interesting few days. Maybe we’ll have to go to a county shelter. Eek

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sjtill,

Posts: 18042 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
While you're taking the noble cautious approach, I've always thought it would be interesting to experience a low grade hurricane or tropical storm. Seems like the NHC hasn't hit the mark this year with forecasting, might as well stick around and enjoy some tropical downpours!

Posts: 489 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: September 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
"Low grade" hurricane? Forecasters are predicting a Category 5 hurricane! Dr. Till is doing the only logical thing.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sr_Bull:
I've always thought it would be interesting to experience a low grade hurricane or tropical storm.

Its not.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3848 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
While you're taking the noble cautious approach, I've always thought it would be interesting to experience a low grade hurricane or tropical storm. Seems like the NHC hasn't hit the mark this year with forecasting, might as well stick around and enjoy some tropical downpours!

All depends on the circumstances. Okinawa circa 1990. We were supposed to stay indoors during tropical storms and typhoons...unless we had duty or needed to go to the chow hall. Then we had to be in flack jackets and helmets....LOL

Somewhere I have pics of a caravan of us heading to the chow hall in our cars, with guys hanging out the 'sun roofs' leading the charge.

LOL

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12315 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SpinZone:
quote:
I've always thought it would be interesting to experience a low grade hurricane or tropical storm.

Its not.

I rode a couple of these out in the Navy on a light cruiser. It wasn't fun then.

You're smart, Doc. I'd rather experience it on the 65" flatscreen.
Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4221 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mcrimm:
quote:
Originally posted by SpinZone:
quote:

Its not.

I rode a couple of these out in the Navy on a light cruiser. It wasn't fun then.

You're smart, Doc. I'd rather experience it on the 65" flatscreen.
Mike

My grandparents were in their late 60s when they rode out Hugo - in Charleston - from the comfort of their most interior bathroom.

They moved to Stuart, FL, because the Charleston CC golf course was going to take too long to reopen, and promptly got hit directly (again) by Andrew, which they rode out from behind the storm shutters of their second floor condo.

I’ve always wanted to do that from a safely elevated condo or home with transparent storm shutters. Must be a wild ride. Not sure I’d want to do it on Maui.

sjtill, if it’s as bad as it could be, how long before Maui would be back up and running? Might be impossible to answer, but Mrs.BurtonRW and I have been wanting to go back since we went last October.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16268 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Unless you have a death wish nobody in their right minds would ride out a Cat 5..

My Daughter and SIL got caught in the DR at a Punta Cana resort as Maria pummelled PR and moved right past them between PR and Hispanola.

They spent the night without power, phone, with mattresses up against the glass hurricane doors of the room as the wind and rain blew trees around, used towels to soak up the water that got through the doors and roof. This in a room that was at the back of the resort away from the beach room they had, furthest from the water the resort could move the guest that couldn't get out.

Posts: 23371 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Listen to Frankie

Posts: 5317 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fox News just said it's going to be a Cat 3 as is passes near Maui. Time to GTFO!

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9142 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Some of you may remember I went to Biloxi after Katrina—I’ve seen what a storm surge of a big hurricane can do. I sincerely hope Hawaii doesn’t get anything like it, but it’s looking bad, with the storm turning toward the islands. “Worst storm in our lifetimes” is what they’re saying.d

My concern for us is that flights may be canceled.

Posts: 18042 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That sucks if your vacation gets ruined from weather. Hurricanes do change direction a lot, so there's a good chance you might get lucky and it veers in a different direction and you might be able to get your reservations back. Keep an eye on it and plan to fly out early otherwise.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'll never forget the lowly tropical storm Allison.

Q

Posts: 26322 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I've been through a bunch of them, living in Fort Lauderdale,FL for 41 years. There's really nothing special about it. High winds with gusts...…...a lot of rain, sometimes on and off...You see the trees move quite a bit, palm trees bend a heck of a lot more than you'd expect.......I've walked around in Cat 2 winds because I had to. It's do-able.

But the Hurricane last year that hit Naples, we had 70 MPH winds (more or less) with some gusts from 6pm on Friday until 3am on Monday and had lost power Friday night at 11pm.....it sucked......No electric, no cooking, candles, no a/c, no internet. etc. Then no electric at my house for 14 days. After the storm you really couldn't drive for a day or two....you could, but had to really know the area because there were A LOT of blocked roads with trees or powerlines across them......after the first day or two, neighbors would move the trees far enough off of the road that you could get by them.....

You REALLY come to appreciate how life normally is. After the storm it is a MISSION just to get gasoline or food items for at least a week, sometimes two weeks...……. I always keep enough food, water, and then gas when a storm is coming to last me 3 weeks....but sometimes you want something different to eat. Gas trucks can't get to the stations a lot of times for a week because of debris (most stations sold out right before the storms get there) or the stations don't have electric......Same with the grocery stores.....Driving around for a week or longer after the storm is a mission also, as most traffic lights are still out due to the lack of electricity. It's a tough life till everything gets back to normal.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
I do hope you and yours can evac ahead of Lane.

My wife and I were just on O’ahu last week after Hector’s pass to the south. Got a text from a friend back home while there to keep a look-out for (then) Tropical Storm Lane. We’ve been home a few days now but have been watching the storm ever since.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6693 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
It’s good we can always trust NPR. From their article on Hurricane Lane:

quote:
Lane's maximum sustained winds were about 1655 mph, the National Weather Service said, which will slowly weaken over the next 48 hours. But the agency cautioned, "Lane is forecast to remain a dangerous hurricane as it draws closer to the Hawaiian Islands."

Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Hurricane Lane sounds like a good name for a disaster movie.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:

I'll never forget the lowly tropical storm Allison.

Along with hurricanes Ike & Harvey Eek

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15254 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I experienced a hurricane in Hawaii. It is not the place you want to be. It is so isolated recovery takes considerable time. Imagine walking down 23 flights of stairs, being confined to a hotel with no air conditioning. You get the picture.

Having experienced the full force of Hurricane Katrina as well, it is hard for others to imagine the long lasting damage it caused. We are still in the process of rebuilding and it will be 13 years this August 29th. To this day, I will sincerely appreciate the thousands of volunteers who came to help us.

Posts: 17221 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
we rode out Isabel in the comfort of our home,
power out

sounded like 3 freight trains going around the house most of the night,

my brother showed up just after dark, too many trees down for him to get home,

next morning, 15 trees down in my yard, fortunately non hit the house,

roof survived too, but the house looked like someone shredded a handful of trees and pointed the nozzle at the house (all that eventually washed off)

had to cut our way out of the neighborhood the next morning, and it took an hour and 45 to get to work (I was a store manager for a grocery chain, no choice but to go to work)

power out at home for 15 days, out at work, still open, for 7,

fukking sucked

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post