SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Poor cell connection....Just hang up!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Poor cell connection....Just hang up! Login/Join 
The Constable
posted
We are not known for the latest/greatest technology here in the rural West. So I'm accustomed to lousy cellular reception.

But lately ,even from up to date modern cell areas it's turning into "I can understand every 2nd or 3rd word".

So I'll mention "I can barely hear You"!

They then speak INTO the phone directly, or shut down their RADIO, or tell passengers to quiet down.

But generally they don't.

My new commo rule....You can't understand that you need to lower the radio, or tell passengers to shut the fuck up Or speak directly INTO the device. I immediately hang up.

Rant mode....OFF

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Calling a help number and their headsets microphone picks up other people talking around them! Maybe they are so crowded together without physical barrier between them or the headsets are of poor quality, or the call being monitored for quality assurance Roll Eyes intefers with the call. But their wait messages or music blares through.

Jim

Posts: 1344 | Location: Southern Black Hills | Registered: September 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I agree. Especially with crappy Bluetooth.

On a slightly unrelated note...

Three of us were chasing a burglar through a neighborhood early Monday morning and our $5,000 800mgHz radios weren’t hitting the repeaters. Zero communication outside of shouting at each other as we were running through yards. Just too far out in the unincorporated county (we’re city/county poleeece).

How the heck did you old timers manage with no or poor radio reception back in the day? You worked in the country for some of your career, right? What was communication like?

One of my rookies did manage to catch him. More luck than anything, but I’ll take it.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11446 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
How often do we really need ANY phone call?

I have my cell on silent most of the time. I check it once in a while.

If need be, check it when the signal is good.

Posts: 6132 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
I agree. Especially with crappy Bluetooth.

On a slightly unrelated note...

Three of us were chasing a burglar through a neighborhood early Monday morning and our $5,000 800mgHz radios weren’t hitting the repeaters. Zero communication outside of shouting at each other as we were running through yards. Just too far out in the unincorporated county (we’re city/county poleeece).

How the heck did you old timers manage with no or poor radio reception back in the day? You worked in the country for some of your career, right? What was communication like?

One of my rookies did manage to catch him. More luck than anything, but I’ll take it.

From 1985 to 2005 I was the LONE Trooper for about a thousand sq miles. Maybe 30% cell coverage towards the end of my time. Initially none. Went from the low band to high band system in the 80;s which helped a lot. But even at the end in 2008 There were still a few areas that were unreachable.

You contacted dispatch before entering those areas, and were you not in contact again in a reasonable time, they'd send another Officer to check.

Adventures in Law Enforcement! LOL.

Stay Safe!

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post