SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    CBS Coverage of Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

CBS Coverage of Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade Login/Join 
Picture of mcrimm
posted
I've watched this since I can remember. CBS has made this a 3 hour commercial with bits of the parade. I am nearly 2 hours into it and I believe they have only shown 1 band. I don't need to hear how cold it is or how high the wind gusts are (when your hair isn't moving)

All I see is interviews of people on CBS shows, commercials by the narrators and regular commercials.

What a shame. This is an American Tradition. Let us watch it.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mcrimm:
I've watched this since I can remember. CBS has made this a 3 hour commercial with bits of the parade. I am nearly 2 hours into it and I believe they have only shown 1 band. I don't need to hear how cold it is or how high the wind gusts are (when your hair isn't moving)

All I see is interviews of people on CBS shows, commercials by the narrators and regular commercials.

What a shame. This is an American Tradition. Let us watch it.

Its still on NBC, FWIW.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9687 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
Years ago when I was younger I grew up in New Jersey. This was back in the late 70s and early 80s.
My uncle was an executive with Macy's and he would always as my mother if I wanted to be a balloon handler in the parade.
Every year I always thanked him but declined the offer.
I wished I had said yes at least once.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2571 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think you'd get a far better viewing experience hacking into one of the traffic cams and watching it silent than what you get now.

Another alternative: some Vlogger who wants insanely high traffic can let everyone know weeks in advance that he's going to livestream the entire parade from a 3rd floor window somewhere on the route. A microphone taped to the glass window would do a better job picking up the marching bands than what they have now.

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2066 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
CBS's coverage did really suck.

We are watching NBC's rebroadcast and it is pretty good.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3849 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JSB3
posted Hide Post
Just commenting on that today.
I tried to watch with my 2 year old, and it is no fun. All commercials, and interviews with people no one cares about.
Stop the stupid lip sync floats and bring back more marching bands.

Blaming the crime on the gun, is like blaming a bad story on the pencil.

Posts: 1068 | Location: Saint Charles Missouri | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
We tried to watch the NBC version, but they had to go and ruin it with progressive crap. Not what I willingly let my kids watch, so off it went.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6390 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SpinZone:
CBS's coverage did really suck.

We are watching NBC's rebroadcast and it is pretty good.

Who was the ditsy blonde doing CBS "coverage"?

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
Many years ago my wife worked for CBS in NYC. One of their assignments was the parade. They started around 4am . Lived about three miles from it in NJ and never went.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I actually thought the decision to change the parade to a “three hour commercial” was made years ago by Macy’s and NYC. What was once a Thanksgiving tradition, has for some time been, something we rarely watch for more than a few minutes.

Posts: 13255 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Haven't watched this in decades, I see I'm not missing anything. Wink

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
My mom lived on W 85th, between Central Park West and Columbus Ave ~1975-83. Used to walk down the block and watch them setting up, all the balloons in line etc. Never ventured south to “watch” the parade though...

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I remember going, as a little kid, to this parade. My aunt would take me.

I see it deteriorating every year, departing from the traditions. I'm not at all interested any more.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KurtZ66
posted Hide Post
I stopped watching years ago when it became mostly performances from Broadway musicals.

‘‘Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.’’

— Thomas Jefferson's "Commonplace Book," 1774-1776, quoting from On Crimes and Punishment, by criminologist Cesare Beccaria, 1764

Posts: 413 | Location: GA | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post