SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    OSHA Violation
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

OSHA Violation Login/Join 
Picture of 08 Cayenne
posted
Just got nailed, actually written up, for too many crumbs in our toaster oven. Have until February to mitigate the problem. You can't make this kind of stuff up.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You're lucky, we are not even allowed to have a toaster oven.

Posts: 465 | Location: Space City | Registered: October 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What a crock of nonsense. Why didn't the OSHA inspector simply tell you about it, you could take 10 seconds to dump it into the garbage can and then take it off the list?

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I work on a military base and have never seen OSHA around. Smile

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17269 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
We once had a problem. We had a bolt lock on a door that kept the warehouse night crew from coming up to the office after hours. We had a fire inspection and got written up for it. The fire inspector was sitting at a table about 10' from that door, inside the office. As he was writing it up, I went to my office, found a nice large phillips head screwdriver, and removed the entire latch and catch. He kind of had a puzzled look on his face as I walked right past him and dropped it in a garbage can.

In life sometimes you've got to be quick acting.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18387 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 08 Cayenne
posted Hide Post
Totally absurd, another half dozen violations of similar severity. They found expired salad dressing in the fridge. I was told that if 2 or more people were hospitalized due to food poisoning that OSHA would treat it as a catastrophic event, basically the same way as a fatality. 3 of them combed the mill for 6 hours. I really should stop here.

Actually the audit was a compliment, its a fucking steel mill and all they could find were crumbs.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
My outfit got an audit back in '13. The previous program leader left and I took that person's spot. It's standard procedure for a full audit on an outgoing program leader.

They had several findings - a whole page worth actually. I didn't really have a dog in the fight, having just transferred into the job I knew any findings wouldn't be on me, so I didn't really worry too much.

I was very helpful and found the auditor all the paperwork he needed to finish the job. After the audit we had a board meeting to discuss the findings. Fifteen or Sixteen findings, and none of them amounted to a hill of shit.

The auditor and I had become fairly friendly over the three days he was there - like I said, none of it was my work - so I asked him point blank: All of this work you've done seems like a whole lot of nothing. Is it really that important?

And he said: Do you know what they pay us to do these audits? (I did not) Well, he said, if you did, you'd know we have to find something - even if it's a whole lot of nothing. I can't go tell my boss 'hey thanks for the money, but we didn't find anything'.

It made sense to me at the time.

Don't take it too hard, it's their job to find something. Even if it's only crumbs.

Posts: 10740 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Somebody complained to OSHA that the air in a scuba tank we filled "tasted funny", so we got an inspection of our sporting goods store.

The inspector made about half-a-dozen remarks on her walk from the front entrance of the store to the back room where we kept everything, stuff like not having a lip on the floor of the raised storage area (four-foot railing wasn't good enough).

She got to the back of the room, leaned her hand against the air compressor, and said, "Where is the air compressor I came to inspect?"

Despite her dipshittery, we treated her politely, showed her the logs documenting air filter changes, running hours, etc. Finally she said that it checked out, and left. No reported issues.

Later, we found that (1)The customer who complained had a beef with the store's owner, that being the real reason for the complaint, and (2)The tank had actually been filled at another scuba facility, not by us.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9146 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
OSHA? Sounds more like a Health Department finding. What does OSHA have to do with bread crumbs in a toaster?

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5749 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 08 Cayenne
posted Hide Post
The H is for health.

quote:
Originally posted by ugeesta:
OSHA? Sounds more like a Health Department finding. What does OSHA have to do with bread crumbs in a toaster?

posted Hide Post
The S is for Safety . The toaster was a fire hazard . I know it's a stretch , but they had to find something .

Posts: 4049 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
Yea, I get what OSHA is but primarily in the construction field. Also understand they inspect large food manufacturing\meat packing plants.

My mind set is the local Health Department would call out something like this as part of a kitchen inspection. I wasn’t aware that OSHA made inspections to restaurant\kitchen inspections.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5749 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
In the early 1990s, I worked in a professional building in Atlanta, on what's known informally as Pill Hill, just across from Scottish Rite hospital. The freaking fire alarm was going off a couple of times a day. People simply started ignoring the fire alarm. Potentially dangerous situation.
I called OSHA. They wouldn't do a thing. They told me that a complaint had to come from someone who actually worked for the building's management.

Great. Thanks for your assistance in this potentially dangerous situation. Roll Eyes

Posts: 107507 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ugeesta:I wasn’t aware that OSHA made inspections to restaurant\kitchen inspections.

OSHA couldn't care less if your restaurant gives patrons food poisoning. That's the health department. They only care about things that endanger employees. As someone else said, the oven was a fire violation, not health. Chicken shit, but still under their rules.

Posts: 8954 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In Odin we trust
Picture of akcopnfbks
posted Hide Post
Glad I don't have to deal with OSHA. I DO have to deal with MSHA....so I guess I'm no better off.

Posts: 1729 | Location: The Northernmost Broadcast Point of Radio Free America | Registered: February 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
I was working on a hotel just south of Baltimore about 7 years ago. I needed to access the top of some millwork to plug in LED drivers. I was running lean and mean, just a 4' ladder, no tools or equipment otherwise. I was standing on the second step from the top of my ladder and an OSHA goon, walking down the hall (all the doors were propped open) saw me and walked in the room. He ordered me down off my 30" perch and started giving me a little cinnamon asking who I reported to/who my supervisor was. He was annoyed when I told him it was me. After about 20 minutes of time wasting...educating me on ladder safety, he advised me to store the ladder and get something taller to which I agreed. And when I say "I agreed" I mean I went to the far end of the hall way and started back up, only this time I shut the door behind me and threw the security latch as to not have to deal with any more interruptions.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9683 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
I had an OSHA health safety inspector show up at my cabinet shop many years ago. I politely refused entry; as was my right back then. He politely stated he would get a warrant and be back. In the two week period before he came back, we worked furiously. When he came back, he found no violations. Smile

We chatted awhile. He said that they were charged with generating revenue through fines. And that most violations were of the record keeping genre. Also, he related a story about trying to stop an improper and dangerous ditching operation in DC. The workers told him to bug off; they worked for Congress and he had now power over them.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 08 Cayenne:
The H is for health.

quote:
Originally posted by ugeesta:

Someone might get Mesothelioma from the bread crumbs burning off in the toaster!!!!!!! hahahaha

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The best interaction I ever had with OSHA was when I was working with a software vendor early in my career. We actually visited OSHA in Washington DC to give a demonstration.

They ushered us into a conference room where we began to set up the projector and workstation. Then, when we were ready to begin the demo, one of my team members sat in the chair, which collapsed. He was not injured.

Yes, this actually happened AT OSHA.

Posts: 944 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: February 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
quote:
its a fucking steel mill and all they could find were crumbs.

You've got to be shitting me. Roll Eyes

Posts: 18047 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post