SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Pope John Paul II CNN Special
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pope John Paul II CNN Special Login/Join 
posted
Pope John Paul II was the best and most charasmatic Pope in my lifetime. Naturally, I was interested in watching the CNN special on his life and reign, broadcast on Christmas Eve. It started out well enough, describing his early life and his contributions to obstruct communism in his native Poland and to the destruction of the Berlin wall. By the end , however, it degenerated into marked criticism of him and his successor, Pope Benedict for being too rigid and doctrinaire in defending the principles of the Church, concerning things like abortion and gay marriage. By contrast, they gushed over our current Pope, Francis. They went on and on about what a true man of the people he has been, just what the Church has needed, opening it to fresh air and progressive ideas. In truth, many, if not most Catholics, have concerns about the direction in which Francis is leading the Church. By the end it was clear, the program was not meant to celebrate the life of John Paul so much, as it was an opportunity to espouse more CNN liberal BS.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Francis came in, I left. Until he's gone, I am also.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
Francis is a communist! Born out of the liberation theology pervasive in Latin America. He is the reason I will no longer practice Catholicism.

Posts: 2932 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Who or what is the ‘Pope’ u speak of????

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
The Catholic church actively harbored Vici collaborators after the war.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34084 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I thought the Pope was supposed to be a man of God, not a man of the people. Defender of the faith and all that.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
I thought the Pope was supposed to be a man of God, not a man of the people. Defender of the faith and all that.
^^ THIS ^^

CNN will always praise a bad pope and vilify a real Pope.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23101 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:

Aaannnnd-there it is.

Roll Eyes

Posts: 2927 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:

Over 40,000 posts. They’re mainly stupid.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
John Paul 2 was an avid opponent of communism, he saw it for the evil it was. He was a fan of democracy and freedom. Of course CNN would be against that.

Assholes

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There may never be another John Paul II. I fear the ways of the Catholic Church will follow the likes of Francis moving forward.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graniteguy:
There may never be another John Paul II. I fear the ways of the Catholic Church will follow the likes of Francis moving forward.

Short-term, I share your fear. The Church will continue to shrink and lose much of its relevance until the "reset button" gets pushed.

Long-term, not so much. There are only around 125 Elector Cardinals (those who haven't "aged out" of voting participation in the selection of a new pope) and while the vast majority of them were installed by Benedict or Francis, they were mostly born in the 1940s... making it likely that by the time the NEXT pope is selected, they too will have retired from voting (age 80.) The next crop of Cardinals will have come into the priesthood during JPII's papacy and will likely have a much different view of the world and Church doctrine than the "incumbent." That could be a good thing.

Posts: 2452 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by recoatlift:
Francis came in, I left. Until he's gone, I am also.

Wow, sounds like I wrote that.

That is about what I expected from CNN about Pope Paul. That has always been what some people criticize the church for. TOO RIGID...going by the bible is too rigid for most.

Did they mention all the people who have left the Catholic church since Francis TOOK authority and forced out the last pope?? No, probably not.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post