SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Recycled oil tank is always full
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recycled oil tank is always full Login/Join 
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted
It seems like every time I lug the giant jug of used oil to the parts store their tank is full.

Sometimes I wonder if they just randomly tell people that.

Posts: 17879 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
The one I go to is self-service, at an Advance Auto Parts. You dump & haul your container away. Never had them mention it being full.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15254 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
It seems like every time I lug the giant jug of used oil to the parts store their tank is full.
Leave an overnight gift on their doorstep?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30640 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
I’ve been taking mine to the Oreilly’s down the road for years and it’s never been full. Might want to get on the parts store’s website and send them a note.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3960 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Out here they make the stores fill out a log; at least, it is this way at autozone. Each customer is only allowed to dump so much per month. If I exceed that, I go to the store across the street.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17269 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
This is an O'reilly's. I fill out the log and have about 5 gallons or so maybe 3 times a year.

Posts: 17879 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
It costs money to have a service truck come and collect their oil. Its easier and cheaper to take your old oil someplace else and shift the cots burden to them. They know that and don't appreciate getting the extra expense. They really wish you'd take your oil someplace else.

You should take your business to another venue.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18387 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You would think with how toxic used oil is to the environment they (in general gov, etc) would make it as easy as possible to recycle. People in general are lazy, and the more of a PITA you make it to get rid of stuff like that the more likely people are to just dump it somewhere. That's why they make it a req for places that sell oil to also take used oil. What bothers me is how few places take used filters, I've resorted to filling them with absorbent and just throwing them in the trash.

Mongo only pawn in game of life...

Posts: 683 | Location: DFW | Registered: August 15, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:

Sometimes I wonder if they just randomly tell people that.

Nothing random about it. They see you coming and conspire! Big Grin

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
It costs money to have a service truck come and collect their oil. Its easier and cheaper to take your old oil someplace else and shift the cots burden to them. They know that and don't appreciate getting the extra expense. They really wish you'd take your oil someplace else.

You should take your business to another venue.

This isn't entirely true. It depends on how much used oil you have. The exact price and amount depends on the area, but generally if you have around 250 gallons of used oil, they will come pick it up for free. Under that volume you generally have to pay. Quite a bit over that volume and in times when fuel prices are very high, they pay you for the used oil...….around $0.30-0.40 a gallon. I've never had an issue bringing it to quick lube places as they have so much tankage, they make money on the used oil when the truck comes to empty out the big tank.

A buddy of mine is a Diesel mechanic with an older Ford F 250 7.3 liter powerstroke. When he does an oil change on yacht diesels, he drains one motor, walks out to the parking lot (with clean drain oil) and pours 10-20 gallons right into his truck fuel tanks, goes back to the yacht and sucks out the other engine and burns it in his truck the following week. On 50% drain oil/50% diesel it has less injector noise, runs a lot smoother and more power. 75% drain oil and it'll start smoking when accelerating if it's been idling over 5 minutes. He's been doing this for years and years and never has any issues with the engine, fuel filters, or anything else. Engine has a ton of miles on it.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
There's a mechanic shop near me that has an oil burner to heat the shop in the winter. They love to take old motor oil to burn. Ask around to see if you have a shop like that in your area.

Posts: 5758 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
H.O.F.I.S
posted Hide Post
Wish some of you all lived near me. I use it to heat my garage. I'm always on the lookout for more.

"I'm sorry, did I break your concentration"?

Posts: 1513 | Location: Above water | Registered: September 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I was under the impression they sold the oil to companies who use it for heating oil?

Posts: 13086 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
I was under the impression they sold the oil to companies who use it for heating oil?

It can also be refined/filtered into offroad diesel.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 21bubba:
Wish some of you all lived near me. I use it to heat my garage. I'm always on the lookout for more.

I’d gladly let you have it. One time I went to dump my oil at the parts store and a customer in the store asked if he could have my used oil. He said he paints his barn with used oil. Lol

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3960 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Just leave a few jugs on the loading dock after closing.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
Just leave a few jugs on the loading dock after closing.

At least in my area, all the auto parts stores are posted not to leave used fluids, batteries, etc. after hours and that you are on camera.

The nearest O'Reilly has had a full tank several times when I've gone to recycle my used oil. I either take it back home for a few days or go to one slightly farther away.

Posts: 921 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
A buddy of mine is a Diesel mechanic with an older Ford F 250 7.3 liter powerstroke. When he does an oil change on yacht diesels, he drains one motor, walks out to the parking lot (with clean drain oil) and pours 10-20 gallons right into his truck fuel tanks, goes back to the yacht and sucks out the other engine and burns it in his truck the following week. On 50% drain oil/50% diesel it has less injector noise, runs a lot smoother and more power. 75% drain oil and it'll start smoking when accelerating if it's been idling over 5 minutes. He's been doing this for years and years and never has any issues with the engine, fuel filters, or anything else. Engine has a ton of miles on it.

Unless he is claiming each gallon on a special tax reporting and paying the use tax, he is breaking the law.

A few years ago Landline (or maybe Overdrive) magazine had an article about a trucker who was collecting used fry oil, filtering it, and blending it to control viscosity. He made it too public, and eventually the IRS showed up and fined him for tax evasion.

The government would much rather you create more pollution than escape one dime of owed tax.

Speaking of used oil, I seem to remember that it used to be quite valuable, until the EPA declared it hazardous and required special handling. Then you had to start paying for disposal.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8212 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post