SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    The Electoral College is outdated.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Electoral College is outdated. Login/Join 
posted
So sick of this. Yeah, let’s get rid of it. I want my election decided by New York, California, and Illinois. Hey, we’re a “democracy”, right?

While we’re at it, let’s get rid of States too. Because, you know, democracy. If a popular vote is good enough for the Presidency, then why not everything else?

We could get rid of the legislative branch altogether. The President can write the laws and we vote on them as a country.

The Leftists want is a centralized government they’ll never lose control of because of the entitlements they’ll dole out. They want to turn America into Europe. They want a King.

FOAD!

Posts: 958 | Registered: October 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
The Left loved the EC when it was looking like Hillary had it in the bag. They'll love it again next time it's a Dem who wins the EC but not the popular vote. Bunch of goddamn children stomping their feet, that's all this is.

Posts: 33787 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A typical ploy by the Democrats....don't like the results, so let's change the rules.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Spokane228:
They want a King.

No, not quite. They want Their King

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Fucking sore losers always say that. Never, ever, heard of winners wanting to get rid of the EC. Roll Eyes

Q

Posts: 26371 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
Leftist's are outdated

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3791 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
For a party that says they are all-inclusive. Doing so would make presidential campaigns focus on less than 10% of the cities/counties in this country. Leaving out 90%.

They knew presidential elections are decided by the Electoral College and not the popular vote. Did they not plan their strategy around that.

Maybe a football team should complain when they kick more field goals than the other team but still lose.

Everyone knows what it takes to win a presidential election and everyone plays to those facts.

Let them keep bitching. Let Hillary write all the books she wants. None of this will win an election.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16397 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dems know if the electoral college was abolished, they would never lose a national election. Scary to think about.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
There is a very active effort to essentially nullify the electoral college with states passing statutes that award their electoral votes to the national popular vote winner. The Law has been passed in states representing 165 electoral votes. If it is passed in states representing 270 electoral votes, the electoral college is essentially over. So far it has been passed in only solid blue states, but it is being considered in some purple/reddish states. Why a red state would even think about doing something like that is beyond me.

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChicagoSigMan:
There is a very active effort to essentially nullify the electoral college with states passing statutes that award their electoral votes to the national popular vote winner. The Law has been passed in states representing 165 electoral votes. If it is passed in states representing 270 electoral votes, the electoral college is essentially over. So far it has been passed in only solid blue states, but it is being considered in some purple/reddish states. Why a red state would even think about doing something like that is beyond me.

Indeed. It's facing a very real danger of nullification via this movement, albeit slowly.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Fucking sore losers always say that. Never, ever, heard of winners wanting to get rid of the EC. Roll Eyes

The participation ribbon generation is coming of age.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
I got into an argument with a former friend who tried to say that only the popular vote matters and that the Electoral College should be abolished.

I told him that the States elect the President & Vice President, not the people. Yes, the Electoral Vote is driven by the popular IN EACH STATE, not as an aggregate of the nationwide popular vote.

He kept arguing that The Bitch won and Trump is a usurper. I told him if he wanted a government whereby the President was elected by the national popular vote that he should move to France. This is why he is now a "former friend" and is blocked on FaceBook.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2698 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
They'll love it again next time it's a Dem who wins the EC but not the popular vote.
Next time? When was the first time? No Democrat has ever been elected in that scenario.

Presidents who did not win the popular vote:
http://www.history.com/topics/...ntial-election-facts

John Quincy Adams (Democratic-Republican)
Rutherford B. Hayes (Republican)
Benjamin Harrison (Republican)
George W. Bush (Republican)
Donald Trump (Republican)

None of them were Democrats.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
There is a very active effort to essentially nullify the electoral college with states passing statutes that award their electoral votes to the national popular vote winner.

So when George W. Bush won both the popular and electoral vote in 2004, had such a law been in place back then, a state whose electoral vote would otherwise have gone to Kerry, would have gone to Bush. How fair is that? These idiots trying to monkey with the Electoral College to engineer a specific outcome would do well to consider that.

Posts: 27935 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
This is why I have not been on Twitter for a while. No one understands the value of the Electoral College. Hillsdale College offers an online course on the Constitution which explains its importance. No one on the left seem to understand it. Drives me crazy.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8753 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
I think I would support the elimination of the EC. The only other change that should take place is voter qualifications. Non-citizens would be shot at the polling place if they tried to vote. And better still, those on welfare wouldn't count. I'm undecided about those of us collecting SS (because we earned it, and paid for it in advance). Other disabling things would be medicaid, food stamps and what not. See how easy it would be?

In the distant past, only white male landowners could vote. Not bad at all. In my venture in to liberalism, I think we should include black male landowners, too.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeking a better POTUS, and doing it elsewhere
posted Hide Post
quote:
If a popular vote is good enough for the Presidency, then why not everything else?

quote:
If a popular vote is good enough for the Presidency, then why not everything else?

Most everything else is voted by popular vote.

Posts: 34 | Registered: March 17, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2BobTanner:
He kept arguing that The Bitch won and Trump is a usurper. I told him if he wanted a government whereby the President was elected by the national popular vote that he should move to France. This is why he is now a "former friend" and is blocked on FaceBook.

Ah the 2016 (and 2012 and 2008) elections. Killer of old friendships, and certainly a ton of acquaintances.

One of my Facebook "friends" was a rabid Bernie supporter. Posted that if you voted for Trump, remove me as a friend. REQUEST FUCKING GRANTED bitch!!!

Posts: 6661 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post