SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Huge pictures used for forum member avatar
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Huge pictures used for forum member avatar Login/Join 
Picture of Hobbs
posted
Sure, forum software resizes the avatar to 60x60 before page load is complete but until then and even on 10Mbps DSL, some avatars are huge and slow page loading down.

Those members who use oversize avatars don't care either. They.don't.care. I've seen folks called out by other members and they have done nothing to resize their avatar photos or asked for help if they needed it.

I feel like calling them out too but know it will do no good. So hey dude ... fuck your avatar.

And if you haven't resized it because it would mean making some wording too small and unreadable at 60x60 and that's why you leave it large so it will purposely take time to load and function pretty much like an ad or something ... I'll be sure NEVER to patronize the business ... AND ... fuck your avatar

Posts: 4697 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
Yep, it's inconsiderate as all get out.

I hope everyone with a huge avatar has their favorite book made into a movie, but the actors are nothing like they imagined the characters, and main parts of the plot are completely changed!

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
And if you haven't resized it because it would mean making some wording too small and unreadable at 60x60 and that's why you leave it large so it will purposely take time to load and function pretty much like an ad or something ...

I'm unaware of this. If somebody is doing that, you should hit the "report this post" button.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DMF:
Yep, it's inconsiderate as all get out.

I hope everyone with a huge avatar has their favorite book made into a movie, but the actors are nothing like they imagined the characters, and main parts of the plot are completely changed!

That is some funny stuff right there. Cool I now have a new curse to put on people who mildly annoy me.

The avatar thing is just laziness. All computers come with basic photo editing software as well as any printer I have ever bought.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Skins2881,

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DMF:
I hope everyone ... has their favorite book made into a movie, but the actors are nothing like they imagined the characters, and main parts of the plot are completely changed!

Rising Sun comes to mind.

There are some members who've been around for years and years with avatars that violate the avatar size requirement. Some people just don't give a fuck.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
quote:
And if you haven't resized it because it would mean making some wording too small and unreadable at 60x60 and that's why you leave it large so it will purposely take time to load and function pretty much like an ad or something ...

I'm unaware of this. If somebody is doing that, you should hit the "report this post" button.

Not sure if they are just proud of the place they work (not firearm related) or are advertising ... or both. In other words, it isn't blatantly obvious with the one I've seen doing this. Only thing I'm sure of is that the wording isn't readable in avatar size but is easily read as the page loads and before forum software resizes.

At 10Mbps DSL I usually don't see the oversize avatars on initial page load. They usually only identify themselves if I happen to use the browser refresh/reload button.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
What gets me when someone with an oversize avatar posts in a thread and somebody else will show them the full-size avatar picture and ask them to shrink it.

I know people will go back to threads they posted in, so I'm sure that these resizing requests are seen. Usually, the person with the oversize avatar doesn't post again in that thread. Sometimes, they do in I guess willful disregard.

I and others offer to shrink the pics. Instructions have been posted. You can lead a horse to water...

Posts: 5750 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
I'd bet many have no clue as to image size, how to find it, and what to do to resize, yes we get some tips and tricks in some threads but after a while those are gone, as will this one....

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I pointed out someone's avatar's size to them in a thread after a recent thread like this.

They emailed me to say I'm not an admin and to mind, my own business and they'll be putting me on ignore.

Oh well.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19583 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
I do see some biguns here and there.

Large pictures are about the only thing that can slow down SF pages from loading.

Just another reason it's the greatest.

Posts: 7232 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
How my doin? I google 60x60 avatars for those lookin for a change.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I wish I could get away with ignoring the 60x60 rule. Frown

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
Some people just don't give a fuck.

I think there are as many who don't have as clue, as don't give a fuck.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
quote:
I wish I could get away with ignoring the 60x60 rule. Frown

Your avatars rock no matter the size Big Grin

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
Most forums I've ever been on, have software running the sites that rejects linked pictures if they are oversize. It's just a matter of an admin ticking a box in the software options.

However, Sig Forum uses "Social Strata" to run the forum and Dave Dreezer of Social Strata, Inc states there is no constraint on file size linked to for an avatar. So even if Para wanted to somehow make the software automatically reject linked oversize pics for avatars, that feature isn't available ... and people will do what they want, unless Para pursues it with an individual member. Probably not worth the time and effort with todays Internet speeds that most have I guess.

Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
quote:

If they don't bother trying to learn then they don't give a fuck.

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
quote:

If they don't bother trying to learn then they don't give a fuck.

This x 1,000,000.

Especially since one of our members Woodman offers to do it for free!!!. Is one email to a fellow member, is that really to much of a burden?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Skeptic
Picture of Mike the Texan
posted Hide Post
It's even worse when they're big .gif files. I dislike .gifs in general, but waiting for a 800x800 file to load and then get resized as an avatar is frustrating.

Posts: 220 | Location: Near a white sand beach. | Registered: October 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike the Texan:
It's even worse when they're big .gif files. I dislike .gifs in general, but waiting for a 800x800 file to load and then get resized as an avatar is frustrating.

For those that don't know, https://ezgif.com/resize is a simple-to-use website that will easily shrink GIFs, and retain their animation in the process.

For example, I used it a couple years ago to create my animated avatar of Emma dancing. It is 60x51 and only 66 kb.

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
There's an option in preferences;

Hide Avatars and Signatures For All Users?

Works like a charm.

Posts: 6955 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post