SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Water Company Issues
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Water Company Issues Login/Join 
posted
I lived in my old house for 25+ years. I was never late or missed a single bill. On August 31 I sold the house. Since it was late Friday on a 3 day weekend, I didn't notify the water company and other utilities until the following Tuesday. The buyer notified the water company Friday morning before closing.

The water company sent me a bill through Sep 20. I called and they said they will not change the billing over unless I prove I sold the house, and they demanded a closing document. I told them I was NOT proving shit to them, stop billing me because I'm stopping paying. (I live in another water district now.) I sent them a letter telling them I sold the property, further bills would be ignored, and any impact on my credit rating would result in legal action.

When did it start that I have to prove I sold my house to stop a utility? WTF?

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
Seems reasonable that you could turn off power or water at any time, with just a simple phone call.

None of their business if you keep the house, sell the house, rent the house, etc.

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I can think of a couple of justifications for the utility company wanting documentation:
  1. "Prank" prevention. Somebody with a warped sense of humor, or a perceived need for revenge, could contact the utility company and tell them to disconnect the service.

2. It is not uncommon to be required to pay a deposit when opening an account with a utility company. The deposit, if any, should be returned with final cancellation of service. This might require documentation.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For reasons Vtail mentioned, I don't think any utility company would simply cut service from a phone call. I think if you went in there with your ID, they probably would, but why not send them a summary of the closing or something. The city might also require this for tax reasons and to verify what the new guy paid for the property for tax basis purposes.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I didn't ask them to cut it. I asked them to bill the new owner. The same day, then new owner asked them to start billing them for that address. Either way, I'm in a new county and they goddam sure aren't getting a copy of my closing document.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
I didn't ask them to cut it. I asked them to bill the new owner. The same day, then new owner asked them to start billing them for that address. Either way, I'm in a new county and they goddam sure aren't getting a copy of my closing document.
If they don't owe you the return of a deposit, or any other type of refund, what do you really have to lose by either ignoring them or telling them to pound sand?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:

What are the odds the buyer received the same invoice? Wink

Maybe forward the buyer the invoice? (was the invoice in your name and forwarded to your new address?)

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Just ask them to cancel your service. It is up to the new owner to then make arrangements with them.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SSgt USMC/Vet
posted Hide Post
You cannot request them to bill the new owner, have it turned off and then the new owner will have to set up their own account. This is how its done in NoVa. area. I know because I worked for a county for over 30 years providing water distribution and sewer collection.

Posts: 1949 | Location: Northern Virginia/Buggs Island, Boydton Va. | Registered: July 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In Michigan final water bill is actually an amount held in escrow at closing as it is a lien against the property...

Posts: 1514 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SSgt USMC/Vet:
You cannot request them to bill the new owner, have it turned off and then the new owner will have to set up their own account. This is how its done in NoVa. area. I know because I worked for a county for over 30 years providing water distribution and sewer collection.

I agree, I worked for a water utility. You should have called for the utility before you closed and asked for a reading on the day of closure. It is how the system works. You can be pissed at them all you want but it will affect your credit in the end.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4011 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimg1960
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ubelongoutside:
In Michigan final water bill is actually an amount held in escrow at closing as it is a lien against the property...

This^ and if I recall correctly the electric was done similarly. The reason is so are not able to leave the new owners a huge water and electric bill.

Posts: 301 | Location: Tennessee  | Registered: July 08, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post