SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Money flying out of pocket.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Money flying out of pocket. Login/Join 
posted
So, this week was just another week of spending money like we have it to throw away.

Been that way since spring. One thing after another.

Not sure what really started it, but this week, We noticed a natural gas smell out front, near where our gas line comes up from the ground and into our crawl space.

Seems the risers were leaking, Need new gas line.
They tried to push the new plastic one in through the old iron pipe. It got hung up.
$1200 later, we have a new gas line with some added shut offs.
Tried to get my water heater pilot lit, nope.
Need a new valve. Would cost 2/3 price of new water heater. Another 900 for new water heater. Finally after a week of cold showers, hot water.

Monday I had to have my fence moved that has been over the back property line for about 30 years. I had no idea. $1000 to move back of fence with new posts. I had to get a survey done to make sure it was off. $1050 for survey.

I put a garage door on my pole barn with 9' insulated heavy industrial doors. The springs were broken on both the overhead doors on that pole barn. $360 + $475 .

Broke a tooth off and had to have it removed during oral surgery. Now I am going to have an implant to replace it. That is about $4500-$5000. Insurance does not pay for that.

Took my sister who is ill to a Dr. paid bill and some meds. $900.

I hope the light at the end of the tunnel starts showing up pretty soon.

I guess we all go through these spells, but usually it subsides before this much.

I am sure I have missed something too.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
You have my sympathy and hopefullness for everyone. If spending money can solve these problems then you are miles ahead, miles ahead.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5952 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
I hear ya. My puddle of retirement is gonna be a mudhole in my latter years ...scarry....

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
Trust me on this...I feel your pain my friend...the old saying that "when it rains, it pours" is true...but the saying "this too shall pass" is also true...

Hang in there...that's sometimes easier said than done Frown ...but always endeavor to persevere...

You are in my thoughts and prayers

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I know could be much worse. I thought Ok, I will pay for this, then it will be over, then this , then that.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Where are you getting an implant for 5 grand? I'm getting an implant in September and the cost is a little less than 2500. I had to have an extraction and bone graft and that was only a grand for both. I'd shop around and find another dentist as well as a better insurance policy. My plan covers 50% of the transplant cost so I'm still out of pocket a little over a grand but that's still better than paying the entire amount out of pocket.

I'm curious what necessitated the relocation of your fence after 30 years.

While we all hate surprises that forces us to spend money we didn't plan on spending the upside to your situation is at least you have the money to spend.

Posts: 1618 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
I'm having a lot of stuff go bad at the house, plumber has been here 3-4 times in a few months. Next up, the icemaker in the fridge stopped working, wife just called for repairman.

Wife had hip replacement,April, doctor prescribed Eliquis, went to Walmart and it cost $400.00 for 30 days. Then she had a partial knee. got the Eliqius at the hospital, FREE, there was a coupon.

I say this to my wife almost everyday "This is why I keep working".

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3388 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
Look on the bright side, you could have just stood in that cold shower and ripped up $100 bills.

Hope your pain subsides! Best!

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3758 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Quoting my sister: "The universe knows when you have a dollar."

God bless America.

Posts: 13426 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Could have been worse. You could have had to take a sick dog or cat to the vet.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
I can relate as well. Currently FIXING some very poorly installed flashing around my huge chimney that the roofers really screwed up. In 90+ degree weather too.

Next project two new , insulated garage doors and auto openers on the garage.

Then at some point my bathroom redo that I have put off for 20 years.

When it rains it pours.

OP...at least You have some improvements from your cash outlay.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
That money talks
I can’t deny.

I heard it once
Say “Goodbye!”

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you want to see money going out of pocket likes it's been launched like a missile battery just get sick with a Heart Problem. Final diagnoses is a need a support ring sewn into my heart to correct for Mitral Valve Regurgitation. Also need a triple bypass to correct for an ancestry with an extensive history of Heart Disease. In addition I have to have any Dental problems fixed and signed off on by a Periodontist before the Heart Surgery can take place. All told between the Heart Surgery and Implants I'll need after the Heart has healed I will be looking at about 22,000 dollars out of pocket.

Ever since I quit smoking I've had the thought that this nasty habit cost me about what a new Corvette would cost. Now I'm thinking it will probably cost what a top of the line 911 Porsche would cost.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5621 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you want to see money going out of pocket likes it's been launched like a missile battery just get sick with a Heart Problem. Final diagnoses is a need a support ring sewn into my heart to correct for Mitral Valve Regurgitation. Also need a triple bypass to correct for an ancestry with an extensive history of Heart Disease. In addition I have to have any Dental problems fixed and signed off on by a Periodontist before the Heart Surgery can take place. All told between the Heart Surgery and Implants I'll need after the Heart has healed I will be looking at about 22,000 dollars out of pocket.

Ever since I quit smoking I've had the thought that this nasty habit cost me about what a new Corvette would cost. Now I'm thinking it will probably cost what a top of the line 911 Porsche would cost.

I've stopped counting.

Actually that out of pocket is pretty reasonable considering what the total bill will be. I dropped 26 grand out of pocket last year for dental. It was worth it. Writing the check is the least painful part of the process, believe me.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of m1009
posted Hide Post
That implant cost is a bit high I think too! Getting one myself, and it’s 1900 for the implant, plus 300 for the bone graft. Now, maybe once you add in the crown later, which here is about 800. But still, less than 5k. And, I’m lucky, ins is covering half the implant. Not the bone graft though. Next year crown will be covered at 50%.
But, I do agree, seems like anytime we get a bit extra, something comes up to spend it.

Posts: 1124 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post