SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Huge car keys...Why?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Huge car keys...Why? Login/Join 
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted
Warning first world rant below Big Grin

I have a rental Jeep Wrangler this week and the key/key fob is damned near the size of a pack of cigarettes.

And down get me started about rental car companies wiring both keys together....

Kind of like the Wrangler though a bit tight inside but it got just shy of 24mpg driving from PIT to IND, I was rather surprised.

I already have too much important crap in pockets already thank you

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So true I have a 2018 ram, the key fob fills my left from pocket. Damnit

Guns-I have some

Posts: 213 | Location: missouri | Registered: December 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
You can get replacement fob casings that are smaller if it's an issue for you. You just transfer all the internals to the new case. I haven't actually tried these but was looking at them since my Dad is in the market for a Jeep.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25_caJm9eig

https://www.ajtdesign-llc.com/...rangler-JL-c34349008

Posts: 3369 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
First thing I do when I rent a car is bust out my Leatherman and clip off the wire that holds all the keys.The extra set goes someplace safe and I make a new temporary low bulk key set. This keeps me from paying extortionate fees for a lost set of keys. When I go to turn the car back in, I zip tie all the keys together and teller the counter agent the agency wire fell apart on me. Which it did, courtesy of Leatherman. No one has complained to me yet.
Rental car tip: If you get a car with only one set of keys, look in the spare tire compartment or other rear semi concealed compartments and you may find a plastic bag with the cars owners manual and the extra keys in it.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Because that's the way Koenigsegg wants it!

Cost only $250K....

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12349 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
they make the keys with the leftover steel from building the vehicle. Smile

Posts: 6288 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So you won't lose them. They do not think too deeply about these things. I love the visual gag in the movie the Jerk, where a customer is given a key to the gas station bathroom. It is attached to a truck tire.

Posts: 17176 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I agree, hate those huge fobs. I have learned it is hard to cut the wire holding the 2 keys together, but it is very easy to cut through the coupling.

Posts: 5610 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Harder to lose but much easier to break out of anger.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17244 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spectemur Agendo
Picture of brecaidra
posted Hide Post
At least you menfolk have decent sized front pockets. Try having a giant key AND tiny pockets. Frown

SIGforum's triple minority

"It can't rain all the time." - Eric Draven

Posts: 16993 | Location: IA | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
My guess is free advertisement.

If the fob is half the size of a deck of cards, they can slap a big chrome logo on both sides. Sadly, this is the way that has ruined many 1911s and other handguns also.

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by brecaidra:
At least you menfolk have decent sized front pockets. Try having a giant key AND tiny pockets. Frown

Or the pants with fake pockets. They look like real ones from the outside, but you go to put your hands in there and NO!!!! No pocket for you!

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17244 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spectemur Agendo
Picture of brecaidra
posted Hide Post
^ 'Tis a cruel trick, indeed.

SIGforum's triple minority

"It can't rain all the time." - Eric Draven

Posts: 16993 | Location: IA | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post