SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Now spam robocalls are resulting in voicemails
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Now spam robocalls are resulting in voicemails Login/Join 
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted
As if it couldn't get worse receiving 2-3 spam calls per day, now the robot greeting goes on so long that it actually leaves a voicemail, meaning that many more steps to actually get the shit off my phone. Blocking does nothing with so many spoofed numbers, declining the call just results in a new voicemail.

Some people the world would be better off without.

Posts: 3659 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
amen!

Posts: 5405 | Registered: April 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Is blocking all unknown callers an option?

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
Call forwarding of all unknown callers direct to the FCC complaint line would be a perfect solution if possible. Guess I am just wishing!

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
Is blocking all unknown callers an option?

If it rolls them to voicemail, the problem persists. If it doesn't, I miss calls from legitimate people who would leave a voicemail.

Posts: 3659 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dubya
posted Hide Post
I pretty much prevent this by leaving a long pause before and during my message. The robots seem to disconnect when they hit a long silence...

Sons of the Republic of Texas, NRA, TSRA
God Bless America

Posts: 4075 | Location: The Great Lone Star State, Texas | Registered: March 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Need a feature that lets one select a "call forward to #" when an one of these comes in and then have that "CF" list populated with all the robo callback numbers.

Sort of like making the BORG assimilate itself.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43870 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
Need a feature that lets one select a "call forward to #" when an one of these comes in and then have that "CF" list populated with all the robo callback numbers.

Sort of like making the BORG assimilate itself.
"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."
-- vulrath

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30650 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
I think I understand...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43870 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

The newest problem is they don't show up as "unknown" callers. They have now figured out how to spoof a local area code/exchange, and that shows up on the caller id, so it appears someone local is calling you. Anyone I want to talk to is in my Contacts list, so their name would be there too in the caller id. If it's not, it goes to voicemail.

Posts: 10784 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, we get these calls all day long and many have the local area code too.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
When they do this crap, do they really expect us to buy their shit?

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4223 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
You may want to do what I did.

After years of this kind of nonsense, we now forward the home landline phone number to Google Voice, and from there we can control what happens.

In our contact list? GV forwards the call to our cell phones.

Not in our contacts? Google Voice screens the number against known spammers and our individual blocked caller list....and if not found in the GV blacklist or our blocked caller list, callers get a chance to record their name and GV calls us, plays what they've said, and asks what we want to do.

And, it's free. Smile

Byproducts:
1) an email record of the caller's number, timestamped
2) if they leave a voice mail, an email with an audio file of the recording and an attempted speech-to-text transcription

The call-blocking has no limits (unlike ATT's five-number limit) and is easy to manage with a browser.

Posts: 15025 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:
2) if they leave a voice mail, an email with an audio file of the recording and an attempted speech-to-text transcription

Some of these transcriptions are pretty funny.

Posts: 10784 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I posted a complaint about this about a year ago. I no longer receive a lot of spam calls since I changed my number, but I never found a solution to receiving these voicemails.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ChuckWall
posted Hide Post

Posts: 5689 | Registered: February 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted Hide Post
Panasonic makes a reasonably-priced phone that allows you to block area codes. That stops most of the calls but useless if the spammer spoofs your own area code which many are doing these days.

As long as no one you know lives in Wyoming for example, no problem. And you can always google the # if in doubt.

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1489 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I get so many now that I have my phone on do not disturb 24 hours a day

It also only allow calls from people that are in my contacts list - so they're effectively blocked and I don't hear it ring

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53165 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
iPhones now convert to text your VM's. Makes it easier to quickly scroll VM's and delete/block without having to listen to them.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12320 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Spectrum cable and phone has a service called "nomorobo" that blocks robo calls. It has worked well for me. I see the call on my screen but the phone do't ring.

Posts: 17140 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post