SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Distributed by?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Distributed by? Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
I try to buy American made, or at least products from first world, capitalist countries (though may need to relax that somewhat these days).

I specifically try to avoid products from certain countries for various socio-political reasons.

Increasingly, whereas many products used to indicate country of manufacture, they now show Distributor information. Really, who the fuck cares who the distributor is? To me, that's just a middle man with a warehouse. Or an importer.

I want to know where where stuff is made. Especially foodstuff. Where is it grown and/or processed?

These companies are just obfuscating information that would probably give some of us pause in purchasing. I can't think of any other reason to not include COO. So, I just assume China for any product that is just 'distributed' by some company and doesn't specify COO.

I'm still surviving. It take more effort but I can find what I want. But seriously, that corporations hide information like this is just reprehensible.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
This is why our ranchers want country of origin labeling for beef too among other items. Consumers have a right to know where from they're buying.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:

This is why our ranchers want country of origin labeling for beef too among other items. Consumers have a right to know where from they're buying.
There oughta ba a law.

Seriously, I would really like to see country of manufacture on consumer goods.

Whenever I look at something on Amazon, if this information is not provided, I post a question: "Where is this made? Country of origin?"

More often than not, the answer is China. I have stopped buying things made in China, unless there is no practical alternative.
Insomnia. Reopening this post to add the following:

Reading email. Ah, here's the daily sale flyer from woot. Great, what could be more American than Jim Beam, or products bearing that brand name? Here's a gadget for marinating things prior to grilling. Guess what -- it's made in China.

Jim Beam executives, you need to go stand in a corner and look ashamed.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: V-Tail,

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
The AC=Delco line of GM Parts is just that, Mainly Chinese crap repacked in a GM logo'ed box.

Failure rate out of the box (no pun intended) was pretty high at least in my opinion.

I needed an ignition switch for my '67 Pontiac. There were some NIB Delco ones on eBay, took me a couple of weeks to find a genuine old school Delco manufactured one, a couple indicators to show it was GM manufactured.

The car cost me a hundred bucks as a non running project in 1986. 2019 the switch was a couple bucks less.

Last spring I needed a machete to do some brush cutting. Chineseium ones were ten to fifteen bucks. American made were thirty plus. American made was the choice.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8066 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Many of the AC Delco products on Amazon are fake, box and labels look close but the product is not GM. Read somewhere that AC Delco is one of the largest forgery items sold on Amazon/Online.

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Perhaps we can take some small consolation in the fact that companies are resorting to putting the best face on their products that’s possible. “Distributed by …,” “Designed in …,” and even made in anyplace except China are evidently in response to the backlash against Chinese products. If they feel they must do that, maybe it will help reverse the trend.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Many of the AC Delco products on Amazon are fake, box and labels look close but the product is not GM. Read somewhere that AC Delco is one of the largest forgery items sold on Amazon/Online.

The AC Delco today is nothing like the old days, they are just a repackager/reseller of whoever offers the best price that meets their requirements. For example I could go to the parts bin and pull out two U-Joints, same part numbers. One box marked China, one marked USA as country of origin. And these were parts that we ordered from GM Service Parts Operations, the official source of parts to the GM dealerships.

It used to be back "in the old days" that if there was a difference in the part due to construction, inclusion or exclusion of additional items, different supplier, the part number changed, not true today with AC Delco. Also, packaging standards, not that unusual for the same part packaged in two different style boxes, sometimes the labeling being different also. Again, these are the ones coming from GM's own warehouse facilities, the same parts that go to the dealerships or to the jobbers, independent parts stores that are part of the AC Delco system.

There are various ways that the counterfeit parts enter the marketplace, probably too many to go over here. Saw a lot of that happen during my dealership years. Saw some of my old managers fall for the schemes, some willingly, some mislead. Personally when I was in management I stayed away from the deals that were too good to be true, as we know they turn out badly more often than not.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8066 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post