SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    My older son goes in for hip replacement, gets meningitis
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My older son goes in for hip replacement, gets meningitis Login/Join 
Picture of rtquig
posted
My 44 year old son when he was younger, abused his body. He was the singer in an Heavy metal band and often leaped off stage. He hurt his hip doing this. This past Tuesday had a hip replacement. Two days after the surgery had to go back to the ER with severe neck and back pain. Immediately, the doctors did a test of his fluid and determined he has meningitis from the surgery. He is on a crap load of antibiotics as well as his wife and daughter. They believe they caught it in the earl stages.
Is this something to sue the hospital for, or is it part of the risk of surgery. He is already looking at lawyers, but I thing he should be worrying about getting better first.

Then, my daughter with stage IV breast cancer has been told it is starting to spread again, so they are trying a new series of drugs. One rough week.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4011 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
IDK, because I'm neither a doctor, nor hospital employee of any kind, nor a lawyer, but my guess is that, among the myriad of forms he signed upon admittance or whatever, were waivers for catching any one of the number of diseases running rampant in today's hospitals.

I make this assumption based on the fact hospitals somehow manage to remain in business despite the number of times you hear of people going in for procedures both minor and major, and coming down with infections that sometimes kill them.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Sorry, seeing your kids suffer is always a hell.

FWIW, your family in my prayers

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
I’m very sorry to hear if these troubles with your kids. I would look into legal advice as well, were I him. Whether or not he can sue, this is an unplanned event due to a surgery they performed and it’s about to wreak untold havoc on his life. I would want advice and research into how (specifically) this happened.

I do know people who have had abdominal surgeries (were mesh was placed) come to arrangements, but I don’t know the details and there was a faulty product involved there.
My thoughts are with your children..I hope the new drugs help your daughter eliminate the cancer, and your son recovers completely.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5284 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Your children are in my prayers Frown Dang

Posts: 7523 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Prayers for your son and daughter, and you and your family.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I did a search on the subject since it is normally the result of a neurological procedure.
Looks like it can sometimes be present as an infection in the joint beforehand and then spread as a result (I'm no DR so interpret it yourself). Also can result from an epidural and enter that way.

https://academic.oup.com/bja/article/108/3/485/417591

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We Are...MARSHALL
Picture of armedmd
posted Hide Post
I’m very sorry to hear you’re experiencing all these issues with your children. I have a couple questions. What type of anesthesia was used for the procedure? Was there an epidural or a spinal block? Had he been ill in the days prior? Has he been on steroids recently or did he have any injections over the past few weeks? Hopefully he has a speedy recovery and your daughter’s cancer is responsive to treatment.

Build a man a fire and keep him warm for a night, set a man on fire and keep him warm the rest of his life.

Posts: 1893 | Location: WV | Registered: December 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure about hip replacement (Yet) but when I had my knees done I was given quite a few antibiotics before the surgery for a week or two to prevent infections and build up my immune system.

Posts: 363 | Registered: January 07, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by armedmd:
I’m very sorry to hear you’re experiencing all these issues with your children. I have a couple questions. What type of anesthesia was used for the procedure? Was there an epidural or a spinal block? Had he been ill in the days prior? Has he been on steroids recently or did he have any injections over the past few weeks? Hopefully he has a speedy recovery and your daughter’s cancer is responsive to treatment.

He was supposed to have an epidural. They tried several times without success and eventually put him under with something stronger. I myself feel at this time thinking about a lawsuit is too soon. Getting healthy should be the priority. He is 44, so he will do what he wants.
I suffer from a mesh implant from 15 years ago that may require surgery to correct. I have no desire to sue the doctor that did the surgery.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4011 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Good gosh yes, prayer up now for your family, you bet, that would be difficult for anyone when your family is going thru a health crisis.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rtquig:
quote:
Originally posted by armedmd:

He was supposed to have an epidural. They tried several times without success and eventually put him under with something stronger. I myself feel at this time thinking about a lawsuit is too soon. Getting healthy should be the priority. He is 44, so he will do what he wants.
I suffer from a mesh implant from 15 years ago that may require surgery to correct. I have no desire to sue the doctor that did the surgery.

I’m guessing you raised your kids to be like you, so I’m betting he really doesn’t want to sue anyone, either. I had a surgery a number of years ago where the anesthesiologist unsuccessfully attempted to place an epidural. They ended up going traditional with me, too, and I ended up with spinal headaches for a bit due to the multiple attempts. It. Was. Awful. I spect that procedure might be where your son got the meningitis. Scary stuff.
I never went after anybody, but I did want it corrected, and I’m pretty sure my insurance covered it when I went back for the fix. Maybe your son just wants meds and care covered for him and his family if this was an unforeseen complication? Either way, I wish all of you the best.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5284 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
My heart breaks for you. Your thread, as well as the one started by acidjazz, in addition to some others of late reminds of the quote from Philo of Alexandria; “Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.”

Posts: 12167 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post