SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Ouch. I split a molar down to the root. Surgery Friday, hopefully
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Ouch. I split a molar down to the root. Surgery Friday, hopefully Login/Join 
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted
Wholly $%^&, it hurts. It happened this morning eating a fried egg.

The tooth had been filled many years ago and my dentist had been keeping an eye on it. I've only had 5 cavities in my life....Hard teeth.

I take dental health seriously and see the dentist every 6 months. Last time I went he saw a small crack on the tooth. Well, now it's a big crack.

I saw the dentist today, she got me into the oral surgeon this afternoon. If blood-work looks okay I'm having it out Friday morning under a 'twilight' anesthesia. I don't want to know what is going on.

He may or may not need to cut the tooth out. He will try not to. He is also doing a bone graft while he is in there for a possible cured implant.

I was hoping to have it yanked today as it's loose and swollen but it's abscessed. I can't bite down, it's super sensitive to cold and hot. I started antibiotics today. She said as they kick in it should help with the pain. I don't do pain medication due to liver disease.
 
Posts: 11929 | Location: EZ Acres, in the Western NC Mountains. | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of side_shot
posted Hide Post
quote:
de_shot [Logout]  
Jeff Yarchin
My dog crosses the line

posted January 10, 2018 05:44 PM



tell him to yank it out what's with the blood work you dont need that unless your going to get implants





"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
--Benjamin Franklin, 1759--


Special Edition - Reverse TT 229ST.Sig Logo'd CTC Grips., Bedair guide rod

 
Posts: 792 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Anyone with compromised immune system, heart valve issues and other things often have CBC.

I did, due to ITP and my immune system being whacked at one time, and my ex, has MVP, and has to have blood work and prophylactic antibiotics before any dental work.

Hoping for the best outcome, Jeff.




"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" I could explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.
 
Posts: 37763 | Location: fl | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
I do need an implant. It's the number 3 molar on the top right. I am told that molar gets most of the use.

The molars on either side of the cracked tooth are pristine. A bridge would require grinding those teeth so an implant is more desirable. He was concerned that if left blank the other teeth could migrate.

He would have yanked it today but I have Fibrosis of the Liver. It was already 5:00PM and he needs my liver doc to sign off on the medications he wants to use, out of caution
 
Posts: 11929 | Location: EZ Acres, in the Western NC Mountains. | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
Man, I'm sorry to hear that Jeff. I did the same thing 2 weeks ago while eating a piece of fried chicken at my Christmas lunch at work. It's not cracked down as far as yours but I had an emergency visit that day and finally got it repaired last week. Mine is my bottom, right, lower tooth. The dentist patched it up & replaced the filling with a new one. I too only have 4 or 5 fillings; and they are all 20 years or so old.

The dentist said if the repair he made to mine doesn't take I will have to have a root canal. I've never had any work done other than having my wisdom teeth and too get my cleanings every 6 months so the thought of that freaks me out. 1 week later after my repair, and I'm finally able to chew with the right side of my mouth. I'm still very careful, but each day it seems to get better (crossing my fingers.)

Here's hoping your surgery goes well and you recover quickly Jeff!
 
Posts: 6967 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by remsig:
Man, I'm sorry to hear that Jeff. I did the same thing 2 weeks ago while eating a piece of fried chicken at my Christmas lunch at work. It's not cracked down as far as yours but I had an emergency visit that day and finally got it repaired last week. Mine is my bottom, right, lower tooth. The dentist patched it up & replaced the filling with a new one. I too only have 4 or 5 fillings; and they are all 20 years or so old.

The dentist said if the repair he made to mine doesn't take I will have to have a root canal. I've never had any work done other than having my wisdom teeth and too get my cleanings every 6 months so the thought of that freaks me out. 1 week later after my repair, and I'm finally able to chew with the right side of my mouth. I'm still very careful, but each day it seems to get better (crossing my fingers.)

Here's hoping your surgery goes well and you recover quickly Jeff!


Thank you, I appreciate it!
 
Posts: 11929 | Location: EZ Acres, in the Western NC Mountains. | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Gah. I feel for ya.

My #3 has undergone numerous repairs culminating in a root canal and a crown on the stub. Crown just came off for the third time, I'm waiting on an appointment with my regular dentist to see what options are left.




Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.
 
Posts: 10651 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
OUCH, OUCH, OUCH!!

Best wishes for a quick recovery!


Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................
 
Posts: 3647 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Yank is no big deal. Had 1 pulled with just novacaine.
Pain after is actually a lot less than with the tooth in. A couple of Motrin the next day was all I needed.
Was on Vicodin for 2 days and it still hurt, before getting it pulled.
 
Posts: 436 | Location: North East Jersey | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the DL
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Ouch! Here's to a swift recovery.



A mind is a terrible thing.
 
Posts: 18198 | Location: Central Florida (near Orlando) | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
I have had an extraction with graft and then an implant and in the end it was all worth it.

In my case, a root canal failed (the root broke and became abscessed) and when the original dentist wanted to redo the canal, a second opinion showed a fracture that needed the extraction.
It wasn't something I'd want to do, but in the end having a solid "tooth" again was worth it.

Good luck to you, I hope it goes as well for you as it did me.




I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.
 
Posts: 2304 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
Hope you make a speedy and complete recovery and have depth in your checkbook.
 
Posts: 1929 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by remsig:
Man, I'm sorry to hear that Jeff. I did the same thing 2 weeks ago while eating a piece of fried chicken at my Christmas lunch at work. It's not cracked down as far as yours but I had an emergency visit that day and finally got it repaired last week. Mine is my bottom, right, lower tooth. The dentist patched it up & replaced the filling with a new one. I too only have 4 or 5 fillings; and they are all 20 years or so old.

The dentist said if the repair he made to mine doesn't take I will have to have a root canal. I've never had any work done other than having my wisdom teeth and too get my cleanings every 6 months so the thought of that freaks me out. 1 week later after my repair, and I'm finally able to chew with the right side of my mouth. I'm still very careful, but each day it seems to get better (crossing my fingers.)



Don't sweat the root canal. I've had several and the pain from them is more psychological than physical. Watching the smoke wafting out of your mouth while the dentist is grinding away is a bit unnerving, but not painful. The more painful part comes from paying the bill if you don't have insurance (particularly if you decided to get a gold crown rather than porcelain)!
 
Posts: 323 | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
Get the implant. They're worth it.
 
Posts: 4150 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the DL
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Yarchin:
I'm having it out Friday morning under a 'twilight' anesthesia.
That stuff makes me feel disoriented and throw-uppy. Novocain or equivalent for me. No pain, it works fine.



A mind is a terrible thing.
 
Posts: 18198 | Location: Central Florida (near Orlando) | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Yarchin:
I'm having it out Friday morning under a 'twilight' anesthesia.
That stuff makes me feel disoriented and throw-uppy. Novocain or equivalent for me. No pain, it works fine.


Unfortunately surgery is required as well as a bone graft. I don't want to be awake.
 
Posts: 11929 | Location: EZ Acres, in the Western NC Mountains. | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
The broken half of the tooth fell out. It is super sensitive now. I'll be glad when this is behind me.

One positive thing, it is good for my diet. Big Grin
 
Posts: 11929 | Location: EZ Acres, in the Western NC Mountains. | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
Good luck Jeff!

I go to the dentist Monday to have a crown put on my implant I had put in last summer.


“When the people find that they can vote themselves money that will herald the end of the republic.”
― Benjamin Franklin
"The problem with socialism is that eventually you run out of other people's money."
― Margaret Thatcher
 
Posts: 8221 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Yarchin:
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Yarchin:
I'm having it out Friday morning under a 'twilight' anesthesia.
That stuff makes me feel disoriented and throw-uppy. Novocain or equivalent for me. No pain, it works fine.


Unfortunately surgery is required as well as a bone graft. I don't want to be awake.



Bone graft ain't what you think it is. They simply clean out the hole, and fill it with a porous filling material. Over time your jaw will grow bone through the material, filing the hole. No pain. Takes a few months for the bone to grow.
 
Posts: 436 | Location: North East Jersey | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the DL
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PeteF:
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Yarchin:
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Yarchin:
I'm having it out Friday morning under a 'twilight' anesthesia.
That stuff makes me feel disoriented and throw-uppy. Novocain or equivalent for me. No pain, it works fine.
Unfortunately surgery is required as well as a bone graft. I don't want to be awake.
Bone graft ain't what you think it is. They simply clean out the hole, and fill it with a porous filling material. Over time your jaw will grow bone through the material, filing the hole. No pain. Takes a few months for the bone to grow.
Last time I had a tooth out they offered me the option of a bone graft. I asked if it was done with a cadaver bone and they said yes, so I declined. Figured it might be a zombie seed.



A mind is a terrible thing.
 
Posts: 18198 | Location: Central Florida (near Orlando) | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2  
 

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Ouch. I split a molar down to the root. Surgery Friday, hopefully

© SIGforum 2018