SIGforum
"Made in China"

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/230601935/m/7380032124

March 18, 2017, 07:21 PM
striperkid
"Made in China"
I'm sitting at my home computer and I'm looking at the items all around me....

Logitech mouse - made in China
Logitech keyboard - made in China
Desk lamp - made in China
1:18 diecast ERTL toy car - made in China
Desk clock - made in China
Eye glass case - made in China
The glass I'm drinking from - made in China

This is ridiculous. Every damn thing is either made in China, or imported from a different foreign Country. Even some of the American flags are made in China !!
March 18, 2017, 07:34 PM
exx1976
Yeah, but your guns aren't made in China.

Sounds like a good reason to go buy more. Big Grin
March 18, 2017, 07:53 PM
Jus228
I thought it was illegal to make an American flag outside of the country?

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak
March 18, 2017, 08:00 PM
smschulz
I bought a couple of suits a while back for the first time in several years ~ I was SHOCKED that almost everything was "Made In China". Frown
March 18, 2017, 08:34 PM
PASig
quote:
Originally posted by Jus228:
I thought it was illegal to make an American flag outside of the country?

Huh? How would that work?

There's probably some Federal statute or law that all US flags flown on federal territory be made in the USA.

March 18, 2017, 08:42 PM
andronicus
I was at the shitty Harrisburg gun show today and there were rebel flags for sale. Just to be a dick I pointed out the "Made in China" tags. Boy did I ever get some dirty looks.
March 18, 2017, 08:45 PM
SevenPlusOne
quote:
Originally posted by andronicus:
I was at the shitty Harrisburg gun show today and there were rebel flags for sale. Just to be a dick I pointed out the "Made in China" tags. Boy did I ever get some dirty looks.

As long as they're made in South China, right?
Damn Chinese Yankees.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"
March 18, 2017, 09:15 PM
henryaz

Taiwan for tools is generally a good choice. China can be hit or miss, mostly miss. But the parent company can demand, and China can produce, great quality products.

March 18, 2017, 09:40 PM
mr kablammo
quote:
Originally posted by SevenPlusOne:
quote:
Originally posted by andronicus:

As long as they're made in South China, right?
Damn Chinese Yankees.

LOL

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.
March 18, 2017, 10:52 PM
sigcrazy7
If the internet existed in the 1960's/70's, our parents would be bitching about everything made in Japan. Twenty or thirty years from now our grandkids can bitch about everything being made in Vietnam.

It does irritate me when I think I'm paying a premium for a tool or something, and it's made in China. I was looking at a miter box, and thought I'd go German, so I was looking at a Bosch. Right there on the box, "made in China." WTF?? This tool had a German price tag (+$200 over similar brands), so I wouldn't have expected it to be outsourced to China.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus
March 18, 2017, 10:53 PM
sigcrazy7
On the flip side, I'd love to get my hands on some Norinco anything. Those were the good old days of $200 1911's that were built like a tank.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus
March 18, 2017, 10:58 PM
JSB3
Less employee pay, less employee rights, no EPA, no OSHA. Companies in the US cannot compete.

Blaming the crime on the gun, is like blaming a bad story on the pencil.
March 18, 2017, 11:37 PM
YooperSigs
The last batch of furniture I bought (from a company called American, no less) was made in China.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles
March 19, 2017, 01:00 AM
mindustrial
Mmmmm...Harbour Freight...the Chinese hardware store.
March 19, 2017, 06:58 AM
egregore
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:

It does irritate me when I think I'm paying a premium for a tool or something, and it's made in China. I was looking at a miter box, and thought I'd go German, so I was looking at a Bosch. Right there on the box, "made in China." WTF?? This tool had a German price tag (+$200 over similar brands), so I wouldn't have expected it to be outsourced to China.

This irks me as well. Manufacturing in China is supposed to be a cost- cutting measure, but they still charge the premium price for it. A couple more premium-priced things I use every day that you can find "made in China" on are NAPA auto parts and some Snap-on tools. At least these are (supposedly) made to the respective companies' standard.

quote:
Originally posted by JSB3:
Less employee pay, less employee rights, no EPA, no OSHA. Companies in the US cannot compete.

Indeed. Yes, it's hard to compete with employees being housed in dormitories with nets on the outside to catch the jumpers.

quote:
Originally posted by mindustrial:
Mmmmm...Harbour Freight...the Chinese hardware store.

I'll buy stuff from there occasionally. It isn't marketed or priced as anything other than cheap shit, so there is no hypocrisy, and some of it actually works.
March 19, 2017, 09:08 AM
PASig
This was a first for me. Every kitchen knife I own says "Made in Germany" or "Made in France".

Lost my Henckels paring knife and got a new one for Christmas:

Confused

March 19, 2017, 09:29 AM
blueye
My shooting buddy is a big union guy and wears a hat that says "Keep jobs in America" inside tag says made in China Roll Eyes
March 19, 2017, 10:17 AM
gpbst3
quote:
Originally posted by striperkid:
I'm sitting at my home computer and I'm looking at the items all around me....

Logitech mouse - made in China
Logitech keyboard - made in China
Desk lamp - made in China
1:18 diecast ERTL toy car - made in China
Desk clock - made in China
Eye glass case - made in China
The glass I'm drinking from - made in China

This is ridiculous. Every damn thing is either made in China, or imported from a different foreign Country. Even some of the American flags are made in China !!

The problem is all that stuff would cost 5x as much if it was made in the USA. Im not really sure how we can solve the problem of paying a living wage and keeping costs down.

March 19, 2017, 11:36 AM
2012BOSS302
I find that I am setting a lot of stuff back down after looking at where it was made. There are some stores I do not even bother to go to as I know they are a dumping ground for cheap crap made overseas. I use the Made in US websites when possible. I am not convinced in the least that all this stuff needs to be made overseas. I don't have blinders on and do understand there is some new stuff without a US version. When that happens I definitely have never buy from countries, so I go with my list of acceptables. Seems like I am accumulating less junk.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.
March 19, 2017, 12:09 PM
LS1 GTO
Wild thought that something can be manufactured in China, shipped to the Midwest and still cost less than the same item produced and shipped from anywhere in the USA.

If it cost less to produce in the US, owners and CEOs would. Wink

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime